PDA

View Full Version : How to find a Glock armorer

Kansas Volunteer
12-01-2010, 11:54 AM
I want to replace the sights on my Glocks with Warrens. Rather that paying big bucks to ship them off to a smith for the work, I'd like to locate a nearby Glock armorer who can do the work while I wait. How do a locate a nearby armorer?

B+Shooter
12-01-2010, 12:10 PM
Check with your local gun shops. Be careful, not a knock on anyone, but Warrens/Heinies are a little beyond the skillset of what they teach in the armorers course. The course teaches how to change trapazoidal sights using a sight pusher. For those, someone will have to be familiar with punching sights or have a sight pusher that is designed for squared sights. It doesn't take long to do it, but find someone who has done a few first, not someone who thinks they can do it.

randyho
12-01-2010, 01:21 PM
I used a brass drift. It worked. :dunno:

B+Shooter
12-01-2010, 01:37 PM
I used a brass drift. It worked. :dunno:
Yep, but they don't teach that in Glock Armorer. That was my only point, just be careful who you hand your pistol to.

Ryan Acuff
12-01-2010, 02:02 PM
This is something that I would recommend doing yourself. You need a small gunsmith's type hammer or tack hammer
and a brass punch.

If you don't already have one, you should.

A good brass punch is invaluable.

Snake-eater 1
12-01-2010, 02:40 PM
This is so simple a job, anyone who can sharpen a pencil should be able to do it. Of course, there are an awful lot of dull pencils in the world:wink:
Just be sure to use a brass punch; any slips and resultant marks on the slide will basically wipe off with 0000 steel wool. Not so with a steel punch. Best to use a sight tool if available.

Lucky Jackson
12-01-2010, 03:20 PM
This video may help to.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=11174/GunTechdetail/Measuring_for_Pistol_Sights

DC

HamburgO
12-01-2010, 09:46 PM
Not the technical expert by far, I've put on 4 sets of Warren sights using the Glock front sight tool and the MGW sight pusher. No damage to either sights or slides, and sights ARE accurate. The MGW is about $90, the front sight tool about $15... Installation of 1 sight set by armorer: $50 - $75...

Independence: Priceless!!!

Kansas Volunteer
12-01-2010, 09:50 PM
I've wondered if it would be worth it to buy the correct tools and do the job myself. Given the armorer labor charges you sight, I'd be money ahead to just go ahead and do it, I think.

B+Shooter
12-01-2010, 10:02 PM
If you're comfortable with doing it, and you only plan on doing it once, use a brass punch. You'll save the money on the MGW. It's not that hard, you can even buy a Lone Wolf Glock tool, it has the nut driver for the front sight. I've done, probably, 12-13 of these with a brass/aluminum punches.

B+Shooter
12-01-2010, 10:15 PM
I've noticed that the Ameriglo's seem tighter than other sights. I broke my factory sight pusher on the last set of Luminova's.

paranoid
12-02-2010, 03:17 AM
The best way to find a Glock armorer is to become one
http://www.onesourcetactical.com/glockarmorerdvdwithcopereynoldsnew.aspx

SheepDog68
12-02-2010, 07:56 AM
I have done several with a hardwood dowel as a pusher instead of a brass punch!

A nut driver thinned and cleaned up works great as does a deep socket (No wrench just the socket) thinned and cleaned up (Snap on works with no modification for all of mine just check to make sure it works before you get into it)

This really is an easy thing to do!! I generally clamp the slide to the edge of a work table (Use wood so as to not mar the slide) and tap out the old and tap in the new!!

SD

:)

R4 fan
12-02-2010, 09:24 AM
Not the technical expert by far, I've put on 4 sets of Warren sights using the Glock front sight tool and the MGW sight pusher. No damage to either sights or slides, and sights ARE accurate. The MGW is about $90, the front sight tool about $15... Installation of 1 sight set by armorer: $50 - $75...

Independence: Priceless!!!

I did the same thing. Since I'll be owning Glocks for a long time and will need to eventually change out the sights on them, I bought my own tools. I got the straight-walled MGW sight pusher and a thin walled Wiha nut driver (under $5.00). http://www.micro-tools.com/store/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=26547%20%20%20WPNS316060 F Some of the drivers like the Wiha have a rounded edge where the nut goes in, so it won't grab on the small nut for the glock sights. I just put some emery cloth on a hard surface and dragged the nut driver across until the rounded edges were are sanded flat.

Kansas Volunteer
12-02-2010, 02:53 PM
I have only two Glocks,a 17 and 26 to change sights on, my 19 has already been done. I don't see a need to buy anymore of the pistols, so maybe using a punch rather than buying actual sight tools would be the most cost effective way to go. I do have brass punches and a small hammer. It's good to know so many of you have had good success using punches, I had thought maybe that would be problematic.

Thanks for all the input.

HamburgO
12-02-2010, 06:40 PM
For the rear sights, I have just used a steel drift punch and a protective covering of several layers of masking tape.
I do fit the sight (I have dovetail files) so that I don't have to completely beat the living sh*t out of the thing to get it in the usually tight Glock dovetail.

I've put in a bunch of them so far... :cool:

Do you think it's advisable to file down tight sights a bit even when using a pusher? I have not done that so far, but the Warrens I use do take a s**tload of force to get in...

gunplumber
12-02-2010, 08:46 PM
I've been to the Glock Armorer course twice as they used to (don't know if they still do) only honor it for 3-4 years. I had to go to the stupid class to buy parts from glock. My analysis of the class.

Take gun apart. Put gun together. 30 minutes of instruction stretched into 3 hours.
free lunch. 6' cold cut sandwich
3 hours of marketing on glock products.

I thought it was a complete waste of time - something anyone with the most rudimentary mechanical ability can master in an hour on the internet.

I am not saying that Glock Ceritified Armorers are idiots, only that one does not need any real skill to become one. Just sit through 6-8 hours of mindless repetition and advertising.

Any competent gunsmith can swap sights, regardless of whether or not they are glock certified.

jack76590
12-09-2010, 02:33 PM
I have done about 4 of the Warrens, using the MGW sight pusher - a very well made tool. I would not be without the sight pusher as you generally have to sight the pistol in a bit - simply putting on dead center may not be right for you.

Two points on installation

1. Center the sight pusher over the dovetail, not the rear sight. The rear sight sits behind the dovetail on the sight assembly. You want pressure to be straight into the dovetail not at an angle.

2. Do not overtighten the screw on the front sight. The loctite holds in place.

Shin71
12-09-2010, 02:38 PM
If you are not in a rush find out if there are any Glock events going on nearby. Every year in Denver at Neve's, a Police supply store, they have "Glock Days" where you can bring in your Glock and they will clean and inspect your gun for free, replace parts for free and aftermarket stuff is discounted and the 10-20 armorers, using Glock tools will put it on for free. They also have a bar-b-q going on during this and there are a lot of vendors showing off new and interesting items. It might be worth the wait; find out who the Glock rep is for your area and contact them.

Shin71
12-09-2010, 02:39 PM
On another note; while I am still new to the Glock series of pistol I was put through the armorer's course by my agency (they found out I like to shoot and have been a military armorer) and bought me all the tools I need. If you are in Colorado shoot me a pm and we'll see if I can help.