PDA

View Full Version : Flashlight Output Ratings??

JerryM
12-12-2003, 04:31 PM
The rating of the output of various flashlights is confusing to me. They do not all use the same ratings.
For example the Streamlight Baton is rated at 42,000 millicandelas. On the other hand the Surefire G2 Nitrolon is rated at 65 Lumens.

Can someone clarify the ratings? I want the brightest light and I do not know how the lights compare as to brightness.

Thanks,
Jerry

Mr. Bombastic
12-12-2003, 06:12 PM
Unfortunately, millicandelas and lumens can't be directly compared, but the Surefire G2 is about 20 times the brightness of the Streamlight Batonlite.

Millicandelas or 'candle power' is a rating of the brightest part of a light beam. Lumens is a measurement of the overall brightness of a beam.

So for example, a laser pointer will have a very high millicandela rating, but very low lumens rating (because whilst being bright at one point, overall output is very low).

A Surefire G2 has a high lumens rating aswell as a high millicandela rating due to the bright and wide beam of light.

A Streamlight Batonlite has a low millicandela rating, and a low lumens output, but batteries will last several times that of a G2, and the Batonlite doesn't need any bulb changes.

Not forgetting that a Surefire G2 can be upgraded to 120 lumens output at the cost of battery life too (20 minutes with high output bulb, 60-90 with normal output bulb).

Hope that helps a little.

JerryM
12-12-2003, 08:40 PM
Your post was very helpful. I note that the G2 is rather large compared to some others such as the E2e.
My son wanted a E2E for Christmas, and I ordered it and batteries and extra bulb and spare carrier.
Then I got to wondering if I wanted one. That started my search to understand more about them.

I doubt that I will spend the money for the E2E for myself. I am called cheap sometimes, but I prefer frugal, and grew up with the saying that "A fool and his money are soon parted." It is also foolish to buy junk and have to replace it.

Thanks a lot.
Jerry

Unfortunately, millicandelas and lumens can't be directly compared, but the Surefire G2 is about 20 times the brightness of the Streamlight Batonlite.

Millicandelas or 'candle power' is a rating of the brightest part of a light beam. Lumens is a measurement of the overall brightness of a beam.

So for example, a laser pointer will have a very high millicandela rating, but very low lumens rating (because whilst being bright at one point, overall output is very low).

A Surefire G2 has a high lumens rating aswell as a high millicandela rating due to the bright and wide beam of light.

A Streamlight Batonlite has a low millicandela rating, and a low lumens output, but batteries will last several times that of a G2, and the Batonlite doesn't need any bulb changes.

Not forgetting that a Surefire G2 can be upgraded to 120 lumens output at the cost of battery life too (20 minutes with high output bulb, 60-90 with normal output bulb).

Hope that helps a little.