PDA

View Full Version : How to Get Out Alive

troglodyte
05-10-2005, 07:53 PM
This seemed to be the most appropriate place to post this link. It was posted over at packing.org so I am just passing it on.

Time Article: How to Get Out Alive (http://www.time.com/time/magazine/printout/0,8816,1053663-1,00.html)

It deals with the human behavior during emergency situations.

I found it to be a good read and useful in stimulating thoughts and ideas.

Trog

Guantes
05-10-2005, 08:27 PM
About 3/4 of the way down, Mac McLean of the FAA Civil Aero Space Medical Institute makes mention of training and MENTAL REHEARSAL. To me, that is one of the great benefits of this section of the forum.

Elliott
05-10-2005, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the article I emailed it to my 22yro daughter who flies a lot with her job as an accountant. I believe this article goes along way to prove how valuable training is, even just thinking about different possibilities is a mental preparedness that may help you in the future. You need to have a plan. Then a back up plan.

cromwell
05-10-2005, 09:33 PM
That was an interesting article indeed.

My latest scenario was at the outlet malls on the California-Nevada state line (15 fwy). I was there two weekends ago with my wife when the fire alarms blared. I grabbed her hand and headed for the nearest exit. Maybe 10-15 people did the same, and it was crowded. The remaining 99.9% of the people just continued about their business like nothing had happened.

It turned out to be a false alarm, and I felt kinda silly for dragging my wife out at full throttle, but I'd rather feel silly than feel acrid smoke in my lungs!

Cold War Scout
05-11-2005, 04:59 AM
The value of Occupant Emergency Plans was proven tenfold on 9-11.

Lou Costello
05-11-2005, 05:44 AM
One thing I learned from my friends who survived 911 was the value of the words 'get out!'

Anthony
05-11-2005, 09:16 AM
Interesting article, thanks.
Regards,
Anthony.

Geezer
05-11-2005, 10:13 AM
More and more, as we read about surviving all sorts of things, the one constant that survivors share is PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE WITH TROUBLE. Earthquakes, fires, fights, riots, floods, beatings, frightening, or painful, or life-threatening stress, the more the better.

As the evidence accumulates and accumulates, the authorities try harder and harder to prevent young people from experiencing anything like that..no fights, not even name calling, and so on and so on. The authorities, all of them, are engaged in a vast mass effort which can only have the outcome of producing a nation of victims. It is amazing how ignorant people can be, isn't it?

God bless and y'all be mindful out there.

Al Lipscomb
05-11-2005, 10:35 AM
Good read.

Rusty Phillips
06-03-2005, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the article I emailed it to my 22yro daughter who flies a lot with her job as an accountant. I believe this article goes along way to prove how valuable training is, even just thinking about different possibilities is a mental preparedness that may help you in the future. You need to have a plan. Then a back up plan.

here's another one for your daughter

http://www.roadandtravel.com/traveladvice/whattowear.htm

you dont ever want to be in a fire, but you definitely don't want to be wearing any synthetic materials

Wool is one of the better choices (well, next to Nomex)

flhman
06-08-2005, 06:56 PM
I read the article and then had my 7th grade daughters read it as well. Hopefully, by having them read it, the action or reaction is stored in the brain for future reference. But I'll still remind them of it, and have them re-read it, every year or so.

We're very fortunate to have access to this information, resources, other's experiences and training seminars.