PDA

View Full Version : First time shooting a pistol with a red dot.

Prometheus
10-25-2010, 07:21 AM
It was a FNP-45 tactical with a trijicon rmr.

Unlike the first time I fired a rifle with a red dot (many years ago), this takes some time to get accustomed to.

I only put 45 rounds thru it and my groupings were about the size of a cantaloupe at 7 yards. Compare that to the silver dollar size groupings I usually get at 7 yards with my regular FNP45 or TRP. Part of it could be that the front of the optic was getting pretty fouled up at that point. I shot it after about 200 rounds were already thru it. However...

A total of 500 rounds were fired thru it yesterday (my friend doing the remaining 455 rounds) and his groupings were quite impressive (as they always are). Case in point at the end a fly landed on his target and from 7 yards he nailed it (did I mention at one point he was nationally ranked:cool: ). He had no issues focusing on the target and ignoring all the crud building up on the rmr.

So my thoughts on the reddot/rmr are this: For someone who is practicing with it, it is quite impressive and very cool. For someone to first pick it, it's not quite a simple as "superimpose the dot over the target".

A to the FNP45 tactical, it had one failure to eject around the 400 round mark which was cleared quickly and easily. Occasionally we believe the ejected brass is striking the rmr. We got some good HD video and will be slowing it down to see if that is truly the case. Maybe one out of 50 rounds is possibly doing it.

Gabriel Suarez
10-25-2010, 07:26 AM
At the class in Kansas four first time red dot shooters got hits on a steel at 200 yards repeatedly. They'd never fired a shot from this system before. One of them is US Mil and will have an RMR Glock 19 on his next trip out.

Prometheus
10-26-2010, 07:47 AM
At the class in Kansas four first time red dot shooters got hits on a steel at 200 yards repeatedly. They'd never fired a shot from this system before. One of them is US Mil and will have an RMR Glock 19 on his next trip out.

I just saw that thread, very impressive.

It's obviously me and not the equipment causing my issues with it, as I noted with my friend shooting ragged holes with it.

I need to work it out, whatever it is, I should have figured it out by that third and final magazine I put thru it. :(

TAZ
10-27-2010, 07:07 AM
As with everything I'm sure that takes time to retrain yourself to not focus on the front sight, just like it took training to get front sight focus.

If you were still having issues with the system after some serious dry fire and live fire training; then I'd start worrying that maybe an RMR isn't for you. Painful lesson to learn after having paid for an RMR and machined a slide to fit. OUCH....

Jack Rumbaugh
10-27-2010, 08:13 AM
As with anything new, it takes time to get accustomed to it. I'm still dry practicing with mine to get on the dot faster. When shooting it, it makes running a plate rack or shooting bowling pins just too dang easy. Man size steel at 100+ yards? Childs play.

Prometheus
10-27-2010, 06:45 PM
As with everything I'm sure that takes time to retrain yourself to not focus on the front sight, just like it took training to get front sight focus.

If you were still having issues with the system after some serious dry fire and live fire training; then I'd start worrying that maybe an RMR isn't for you. Painful lesson to learn after having paid for an RMR and machined a slide to fit. OUCH....

Luckily I can shoot my friends some more before I make the decision to get one myself.

As with anything new, it takes time to get accustomed to it. I'm still dry practicing with mine to get on the dot faster. When shooting it, it makes running a plate rack or shooting bowling pins just too dang easy. Man size steel at 100+ yards? Childs play.

Thanks everyone, I tried not to hog my friends new gun while we were out and there was a bit of time constraint involved as well. I'm not giving up on it.