PDA

View Full Version : Which MOA RMR to choose

brantley65
09-28-2010, 06:17 AM
Which MOA RMR is the best for G17 or G34?

GoldDot
09-28-2010, 07:20 AM
8 MOA LED version or 7 MOA Dual. Got both of them know. I do prefer the LED version over the dual for CQB type use inside buildings because the red dot is brighter in ambient light.

Outside even on a cloudy rainy day as today the Dual version is really bright. I also like the Dual version better in total darkness or with NVG. The orange dot is easier on your nightvision somehow. Just for work in bad lid buildings I prefer the LED.

If changing the battery once a year is no problem for you, spend some more bucks and choose the 8 MOA LED over the 7 MOA Dual.

Don't bather withe the 4 MOA on a pistol. I have a Doctersight with 3.5 MOA and tried it on my Glock 19. The dot is just too small for pistolwork.

Jack Rumbaugh
09-28-2010, 07:26 AM
I prefer the 4 MOA dot.

Skripy
09-28-2010, 07:42 AM
I have been wondering this myself, since I cannot really test all the different systems, I think I had heard that 8 MOA is pretty much the average. But I also see that there is the dual-illuminated 13 MOA as well.

YARP
09-28-2010, 07:54 AM
I'm sending my slides off today. Before I sent them off I spent some time taping different Trijicons to the top of the slides. Im sending a G21 slide and a G20.
The G21 in .45ACP will be used in doors for the most part and in lower light conditions. I chose the dual ilum RMR with a 9.0 MOA dot in amber, it shows up very well in doors and is pretty big and easy to pick up. I didn't have NVGs to play around with but I'll take GolDots word for it!
The G20 slide will probably be used across the board but the majority of the time it will be used for outdoor and longer distance shots. I went with a 4 MOA red dot because it will be easier to take longer shots with the G20 because the dot won't cover the whole target.
The 13MOA dot I had sitting around will (originally planned for the G21) be put to use as a secondary on one of my rifles, it is simply to big to be used for this application.

YARP
09-28-2010, 07:57 AM
I have been wondering this myself, since I cannot really test all the different systems, I think I had heard that 8 MOA is pretty much the average. But I also see that there is the dual-illuminated 13 MOA as well.

I noticed the 13 MOA as a good CQB dot because it's so big and easy to pick up, you get much beyond CQB distances though, and the dot just covers to much.
If I was to have only one, I'd probably go with an 8 MOA dot.

GoldDot
09-28-2010, 11:17 PM
I'm sending my slides off today. Before I sent them off I spent some time taping different Trijicons to the top of the slides. Im sending a G21 slide and a G20.
The G21 in .45ACP will be used in doors for the most part and in lower light conditions. I chose the dual ilum RMR with a 9.0 MOA dot in amber, it shows up very well in doors and is pretty big and easy to pick up. I didn't have NVGs to play around with but I'll take GolDots word for it!
The G20 slide will probably be used across the board but the majority of the time it will be used for outdoor and longer distance shots. I went with a 4 MOA red dot because it will be easier to take longer shots with the G20 because the dot won't cover the whole target.
The 13MOA dot I had sitting around will (originally planned for the G21) be put to use as a secondary on one of my rifles, it is simply to big to be used for this application.

If you plan to use your G21 most of the times indoors, choose the 8 MOA LED RMR. The Dual ist fine outdoors and in total darknes.

The LED version gives you a much brighter dot in ambient light conditions you will mostly find in your house when the lights are out and it is not completely dark.

In darknes where you can only see shapes the LED dot is to bright for my taste. Here the tritium powered dot is better. But that is my taste.

Concerning the NVG work: None of the RMR versions are what is considert NVG capable like the EOTech 552 ect. But when working a monocular on your none-dominant eye, it works just fine. One eye gives you the NV view of your surroundings and the other eye gives you the dot. Your brain will combine those pictures. Well at leat mine does...

For your outdoors G20 the Dual 7MOA will be perfectly ok. Donīt worry about covering the target too much. Remember that your triggerfinger still has to send that perfectly aimed shot of a smaller 4 MOA dot on its way. Stay real with your abilities under stress.

Cheers

Alex

YARP
09-29-2010, 06:59 AM
Gold dot-I have tried almost all of the RMRs before I made a decision. Unfortunately I just taped them on to get an idea so no firing experience. The two I chose seem to work well for what I want to do so I probably won't be changing them, all though that's always an option when the slides get back.
I chose the 4 MOA dot for the G20 so that I could take longer more accurate shots, it's not anything I haven't done before with iron sights, I'm just hoping to speed up my shots and transitioning from target to target. Anything will close up will probably "windowed" inside the RMR if I'm in a reactive mode (this again is all up for trial), I believe Gabe was talking about what to do when the dot goes down and talked about this. There's always the suppressor sights to fall back on!

baker
09-29-2010, 09:26 AM
I'm very happy with my 8MOA red dot. 2" at 25 yds, and 4" at 50 yds is great for me for shooting groups, and fast acquisition.

clarkemyers
09-29-2010, 10:03 AM
8min LED RMR suits me on a handgun - I couldn't do better with anything else - at any range - with a compact pistol -

I suspect but do not know - lacking any extensive personal timed trials and exercises - that choice for long arms will strongly bias performance that is will make the long arm much better for one range and much worse for the other - I have a small dot on an M4gery normally used with magnification at longer than my handgun ranges and that's OK - it's why I bit the bullet and spent more than the pistol cost to get an RMR installed on the pistol - but a much bigger dot no magnification would be clearly better with the long arm at short ranges.

I don't think the differences with a handgun at normal handgun ranges are enough to matter to me. When I was young I could bounce palm sized rifle gongs at just over 100 yards with my then carry model 58 and iron sights - these days I couldn't do it with much of anything and 8 min suits me as well as anything possibly could.

Mac10
09-29-2010, 05:44 PM
I just completed the order for the LED 8MOA on a new G23 slide with Mr. Swain yesterday, so I will find out shortly. I have put C-Mores and copies of such on squirrel pistols (.22LR) for years, so I have used the concept on handguns. I opt for a much smaller dot or reticle for these, however. My rifles have always had a RDS of some kind or other, mostly Eotechs at this point in time.

Mickey Rourke
10-02-2010, 01:03 PM
I shot this today with a 4MOA (J-Point/Glock 19) at 50yds. I used a daypack on the hood of my Jeep for a rest. My drill was draw the pistol, acquire the target as quickly as I could get a good sight picture (dot in the center of the paper), then fire two rounds. Repeated 5 times for 12 rounds. I didn't have a timer, so I'm not sure of my speed. I know there are members here who could do it tighter and faster than me:

Mac10
10-03-2010, 10:54 AM
For 50 yds, that group looks effective to me. Aligning iron sights at those distances would definitely take additional time for me. I imagine the 8MOA dot will not be as precise, but I am looking forward to this.

Mickey Rourke
10-03-2010, 12:35 PM
I imagine the 8MOA dot will not be as precise, but I am looking forward to this.In reality, I think the 8MOA might be steadier on target. The finer 4MOA jumps around a bit until you get settled.

380fps
10-15-2010, 02:54 PM
Im happy with the 8

AggiePhil
10-25-2010, 07:03 PM
Which is closer to an XS Big Dot? 8 MOA or 13 MOA? I played with one of the LED RMR sights at the LaRue Range Day a couple weeks ago and it seemed too small. Should have looked at which dot size it was. But it was nowhere near the size of my Big Dots. I'd prefer LED but I want em BIG!

badgerw
10-25-2010, 08:21 PM
Mr. Phil,

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4065/4714721133_c9dfceafd6.jpg

Bill

AggiePhil
10-26-2010, 04:10 AM
Mr. Phil,

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4065/4714721133_c9dfceafd6.jpg

Bill
OK. Which one is that? Way too small for my preferences. Looking for Big Dot size. :D

http://www.lazyeights.net/Avion/P228R/21XSSightPicture.jpg