PDA

View Full Version : Ppct

Dagatan
04-26-2005, 09:54 AM
Is this available to the public or just LEOs? Can someone describe the material they cover?

Dagatan
04-26-2005, 09:56 AM
Sorry that should be PPCT.

Paul Sharp
04-26-2005, 07:02 PM
I think it is available only to LEOs.

PPCT covers many things. I've attended courses in the following subjects; baton, O/C, counter-knife, and empty hands. Like anything, there was some good stuff and some bad stuff.

Cris Anderson
04-26-2005, 07:08 PM
PPCT is taught to civillians here in Canada.

gdw042
04-26-2005, 08:30 PM
It covers a wide range of topics, from sexual harasment and rape prevention (SHARP) to Police Defensive tactics, to baton, OC, etc, etc, etc.

Like Paul said, there's some good stuff and some bad stuff. One of the primary control methods (Pressure Point Control Tactics) is pain compliance. Basically, hurt 'em until they do what you want them to do. If they are feeling no pain, for whatever reason, it don't work. As I can personally attest to. :p

However, when it does work, it works really well. I think it was Mark in our training group who I hit on his radial nerve that made his whole hand go numb. And I didn't even hit him all that hard. :eek:

One of the nice things about it, from a LEO trainer perspective, is that they do not require you to teach their stuff and only their stuff. You can teach what of theirs you want to and they will back you. Liability is the name of the game. Much of the research PPCT has done is from a legally defensable perspective.

I've used it pretty extensivley, and have been able to make jsut about everything they teach work, but I feel that for a non-LEO, there are other things/systems that work as well or better.
GDW

Dagatan
04-26-2005, 09:43 PM
Thanks, what other pain compliance methods have you been exposed to that are available to civilians and in your opinion are as good or better?

Cris Anderson
04-27-2005, 04:17 AM
Jiu Jitsu :D

michael
04-27-2005, 06:43 AM
Civilians should not depend upon pain compliance for self-defense. It could be useful in dealing with a relative that you don't want to hurt, but I would not want to depend upon it for defense against any aggressor on the street. If you're looking for something simple that can be use in a range from mild to injurious, look at Senshido's Shredder or some of Tony Blauer's stuff. Much of it can be used effectively without causing serious damage, unless you want to take it up another level.

Dagatan
04-27-2005, 07:43 AM
Thanks, looks like I was already looking in the right direction. I took a seminar with Rich and will be buying some of his DVD's in the future. If I have the time or the money I might head up to Montreal for a couple months and train at their HQ.

Frankk
04-27-2005, 11:03 AM
I am in my twentieth year as a correctional officer and I have never seen PPCT work in a one on one situation.It has some value as a distraction technique so your partner(s) can get control of a limb or head/neck and further distract so you can do the same.
In my experience, it is designed so institutions do not get sued.All of our one on one situations are on camera,so management can sit in an office and watch the whole thing and say "That's wrong" "He should have done this" etc.
We also get some judo/jiu jitsu/muay thai type stuff that's mostly based on "he does this ,I do that"..
When TSHTF it's gone.
There is no ongoing refresher regimen. Frank

Frankk
04-27-2005, 11:05 AM
I am in my twentieth year as a correctional officer and I have never seen PPCT work in a one on one situation.It has some value as a distraction technique so your partner(s) can get control of a limb or head/neck and further distract so you can do the same.
In my experience, it is designed so institutions do not get sued.All of our one on one situations are on camera,so management can sit in an office and watch the whole thing and say "That's wrong" "He should have done this" etc.
We also get some judo/jiu jitsu/muay thai type stuff that's mostly based on "he does this ,I do that"..
When TSHTF it's gone.
There is no ongoing refresher regimen. Frank

michael
04-27-2005, 03:51 PM
Thanks, looks like I was already looking in the right direction. I took a seminar with Rich and will be buying some of his DVD's in the future. If I have the time or the money I might head up to Montreal for a couple months and train at their HQ.

I went to his seminar a couple of months back. Just doing the drills with a non-resistant partner was good, and the shredder is a valid technique in many instances. Not the be all, end all, but good for many situations.