PDA

View Full Version : Beretta to buy Saiga

shane
09-03-2010, 07:21 PM
This may be old news here. A local gun store owner in my area was just recently invited to Italy to view their operation (all paid for by Beretta BTW). He purchases a lot of firearms, I guess it was just their way of saying thanks. Anyway, they told him that they have or are about to purchase Saiga. I wonder what this will do to pricing and availability of guns and mag's.

M1A's r Best
09-03-2010, 07:33 PM
Several years ago H&K was feeling the pinch of competition from Benelli. Benelli had that great shotgun the M121 (??) and a 9mm semi-auto handgun that was getting rave reviews and hurting H&K sales.

H&K bought Benelli. The M121 continued to be produced/sold (H&K didn't have much of a shotgun line) but production on the 9mm handgun was shutdown.

Sometimes being bought out can be a good thing for a company but usually not. The competition is buying the other company out to remove a perceived threat to future sales.

Base Bleed
09-03-2010, 09:23 PM
Let us dream......of perfectly functioning steel mags....for all saigas.....:)

Anthony
09-03-2010, 09:37 PM
Several years ago H&K was feeling the pinch of competition from Benelli. Benelli had that great shotgun the M121 (??) and a 9mm semi-auto handgun that was getting rave reviews and hurting H&K sales.

H&K bought Benelli. The M121 continued to be produced/sold (H&K didn't have much of a shotgun line) but production on the 9mm handgun was shutdown.

Sometimes being bought out can be a good thing for a company but usually not. The competition is buying the other company out to remove a perceived threat to future sales.Taurus bought Rossi, to aquire a long arm production. - Taurus didn't have one.

They also quashed the revolver competition nationally.

I somehow don't believe that if Beretta really have bought/or will buy, Saiga, it is to close them down!
It is probably because Saiga could use the investment, and Beretta knows a good product when it sees one.

Let us be honest here.

Like Beretta or not (for whatever reason,) they surely make quality products.

Regards,
Anthony.

TrojanSkyCop1
09-04-2010, 12:09 PM
Let us be honest here.

Like Beretta or not (for whatever reason,) they surely make quality products.

Regards,
Anthony.

+1, Anthony. Beretta is the world's oldest gun manufacturer, and one of the world's oldest corporations, period, and I dobut they would've lasted that long if they didn't know what they were doing.

shane
09-04-2010, 08:44 PM
Whether or not this is going to happen I do not know. I do know that Beretta flew him and his wife to Italy and that someone from Beretta told them either they have or are going to buy Saiga. No BS :) Hopefully it will mean good things for Saiga owners.

TennDECA
09-04-2010, 09:05 PM
"Saiga" is not a company, so there is nothing to buy. Saiga is a line of firearms made by the Izhmash Arsenal/Company in Russia. Since Izhmash manufactures many or most of the small arms used by the Russian government, I highly doubt, that Beretta will be buying Izhmash.

The only possibility would be that Beretta could buy the rights to distribute or manufacture the Saiga name or line-up. But I highly doubt that as well.

FrankDude72
09-04-2010, 09:18 PM

I'm not sure where you got this story but it's not quite right.

Beretta owned Benelli the entire time HK imported them into North America.

Strip a Beretta and a Benelli recoil operated autoloader and it's the exact same bolt.

Before their business alliance with Benelli, HK marketed the "HK 512".
This was made by Franchi (same company that made the SPAS 12).
HK never owned Franchi though.

When HK dropped Benelli and went FABARM it was again a business alliance and HK didn't own them either.

Curious about the "Beretta buying Saiga" thing.
Perhaps they're injecting enough capital into Izhmash to earn a seat on the board of directors.
Perhaps they're getting a license production agreement.
Or prehaps they'll be the official importer into some countries.

Maybe your friend heard Saiga when they said SAKO (Italian accents and all)
Beretta does own SAKO.

Gabe Suarez
09-05-2010, 06:13 AM
Frankdude is spot on. Beretta is huge. They flew me out ten years ago to do some training for them. Every thing was top notch and first class.

Its no secret that the Saiga is the future of the shotgun and Italians consider themselves the top shotgun people. If they saw the same things we see, it would not suprise me if they bought the line of shotguns.

I will say that while german manufacturing appeals to italians, rusian manufacturing will not. If they bought a seat, they will undoubtedly want to man the factory with italian engineers. Or move production to Italy.

The Shadow
09-05-2010, 06:50 PM
Biggest problem today is there are a "Lot of Co's" but very few with mfg facilities.

Turkey supposedly has a huge Shotgun mfg capability but makes them for various "Name Brand" shotgun labels.

The bad part about todays market is its not profitable to own a mfg plant when you can farm out your designs and have someone else make your product (whatever it may be), cheaper, thereby increasing your profit margin.