PDA

View Full Version : Question for Dr. John Meade

JohnAPA
09-02-2010, 06:52 PM
First, thank you for your contributions to the forum, I find your information and opinions very helpful.

Second, I am studying and training MBC which prioritizes targeting flexor tendons, biceps, triceps, and quadaraceps. Can you render an opinion as to the most effective specific targeting locations for each of these structures? For example would you opine that a disabling cut would be more effective to the middle of a muscle group or closer to the attachment points (biceps/triceps closer to the elbow, quad closer to the knee). I suspect flexor tendons etiher cut or not cut.

I appreciate and respect the guys who will say "take what you can get and stab him into the ground. This is more of a theoretical inquiry.:)

Rick Klopp
09-02-2010, 10:52 PM
I would tend to agree with Dr. Meade's thoughts. Just as the one-shot kill is so difficult to pull off during a dynamic encounter involving a handgun, the single stab/slash/thrust can not be counted on when confronted by a committed opponent.

From your attacker's perspective, he want's nothing more that to incapacitate you. He doesn't want a fight. He will probably be approaching you with a singleness of mind and no apparent regard for his own safety. His mission - to overwhelm you. And he will try to accomplish that in several ways - not all of them being your "traditional knife-fighting" techniques. Prision stabbings come to mind where it consists of multiple penetrations to the area around the neck. This guy is not targeting specific tendons, ligaments, or muscles. His primary goal is to kill you and he will accomplish that by putting you into shock. Shock in this case being brought on by a loss of blood. Not all shock, however, is a result of a loss of blood. Take a deep cut, for example, anywhere on the forearm and you may go into shock as a result of physiological responses outside of your control.

So back to the OP, there are probably better places to target within each muscle group, however, that's like trying to make the one-shot kill mentioned above. IIRC, the MBC material is looking at at from the perspective of if this specific target presents itself - take it, if not - cut your way in and cut your way out. Yes, there's a big difference between flexor and extensor cuts - add an arterial bleed into the equation and you've done some serious damage.

Remember it's a two-way street. You may not always be facing an incompetant adversary who is just brandishing his knife to solicit fear from you. Having a basic understanding of human anatomy and using it to your advantage may be what allows you to become the victor.

JohnAPA - great question - thanks for asking.

Fitpro
09-03-2010, 07:29 AM
I wish I could make that class.:(

Fulanito
09-03-2010, 09:30 AM
Interesting set of questions. I am not sure my answer will be exactly what you are looking for.

Re tendons and ligaments: They are actually harder to completely sever than most people think. Tendons are fairly hard, but resilient structures. They tend to move out of the way when pushed on.

Re cutting muscles: When a muscle, the biceps for example, is cut in the middle (the "belly" of the muscle), it will likely spasm. So even if it isn't cut completely in two (like the tendons, difficult), it is likely to be much less functional than prior to cutting.

So, do I think it is good to cut the muscles and/or tendons to incapacitate an attacker? Sure I do. Do I think you are likely to get a complete 100% severing of that structure with a knife slash? No. Is it likely to slow down the attacker anyway? Yes. Can you depend on that one slash to stop the fight? Absolutely not. Just like a "dead man" might shoot you while he finally dies, the "incapacitated man" could still hurt you with his significantly injured arm/leg/whatever.

Too bad you aren't planning to come to the "Shivs, Shanks & Tourniquets (http://www.suarezinternationalstore.com/september182010-shivsshanksandtourniquets-pensacolabeachfl.aspx)" class in 2 weeks. Rick Klopp & I will cover all this, and much more. ;)

Thank you John. VERY helpful.

JohnAPA
09-03-2010, 02:25 PM
Thanks very much for your input gentlemen. I really appreciate the responses.:)

Edit: And BTW, If you attack and defeat the right arm of a right-handed man... I suggest you are the favorite, all other things being equal of course.