PDA

View Full Version : What can I do with a Mossy 500c?

VaughnT
12-09-2003, 11:51 AM
Ya know, all this talk about shotguns makes me a little jealous. I use a Rem870 at work, but never have gotten around to buying one for my HD kit. I liked the look of the Mossy 590, but the local store wants $350 for a used one that's scratched on the barrel.

I guess my biggest problem is buying a shotgun when I already have an old Mossberg 500c 20g standing in the corner. My dad bought this weapon ages ago for bird hunting and I kinda appropriated it. I don't see the need for a 12g in the house and doubt a bg would be able to tell the difference between the two.

The only problem I have is outfitting this weapon for home defense. The barrel is too long (26"?). And I want a flashlight mounted. That's not asking too much, is it?

Just read an article in the last issue of SWAT on building up your own shotgun and I'd like to try that with what I have. Problem seems to be finding stuff for this weapon platform.

Is that quick2see light mount good and durable? Can I cut down the barrel or try to find an OEM 18"er? If I do cut the barrel down, where do I measure from to keep it legal? I was told the measurement is from the breechface to the muzzle crown, but....

I don't want to get fancy, just build up something for the house. The biggest issues would be sights (what do you really need for real-world, I'm-not-swat house defense?), barrel length, and lighting.

Any sources? Any thoughts? Am I an idiot for not simply calling Vang Comp?

DaveJames
12-09-2003, 12:25 PM
I would try and find the bbl you want, first and if that fails then go ahead and wack the one you have, remember it can be no shorter than 16" and the weapon must be 36" over all lenght, which means most of the time the bbl turns out to be no shorter than 19".... With the bbl in the weapon and the action closed you can measure from the front of the action foreward... Check out Cheaper than dirt and some of the ohter on line sales outfitts and pick up pieces from them, thats how I set up the wifes Mossie 410 HD, for the 20 I would look into finding some of the 3" nu-3 buck shot, but I'm with you at close range i.e.HOME!! the bg isn't go to know the diff

Hasher
12-09-2003, 05:24 PM
I would try and find the bbl you want, first and if that fails then go ahead and wack the one you have, remember it can be no shorter than 16" and the weapon must be 36" over all lenght, which means most of the time the bbl turns out to be no shorter than 19".... With the bbl in the weapon and the action closed you can measure from the front of the action foreward... Check out Cheaper than dirt and some of the ohter on line sales outfitts and pick up pieces from them, thats how I set up the wifes Mossie 410 HD, for the 20 I would look into finding some of the 3" nu-3 buck shot, but I'm with you at close range i.e.HOME!! the bg isn't go to know the diff

Do not cut that barrel shorter than 18" from breach face to crown. The number David quoted you is for rifles. Shotguns mus tbe 18". Cut it to 19" to be safe. Also the OAL length is 26" not 36".

Try to find an OEM barrel and then get a youth model stock which is an inch shorter than the OEM stock. The quick2see works very well. I hav eone on a Winchester 1300 in 20 Ga that I did up. Think aobut getting sight for it but that is your call.

Hasher

MTS
12-09-2003, 07:50 PM
For Barrels look here;

http://www.brownells.com/

For stocks here;

http://www.riflestock.com/ (Choat Machine &Tool)

I second the idea of getting a youth stock. For use inside your house you will want to be able to tuck it in as close as possible.

Yours,

Mark

ajamesp51
12-09-2003, 10:05 PM
For my winchester 1300 defender I got, I ended up relacing the stock with the houge rubber overmold with the 12 length of pull and I will tell you what the shorter LOP helps with manuverability. And I actually like shooting it better with the shorter LOP.

Idahoser
09-26-2005, 10:07 AM
Is the 500C able to interchange parts with 500?