PDA

View Full Version : Knife Fighting

madmike
08-25-2010, 04:19 PM
Is there any kind of knife fighting tactics,katas if you will that you can do as part of a workout.Some resource for basic knife fighting moves.

Benjamin Liu
08-25-2010, 04:21 PM
You could do the angles of attack for whatever FMA system (they vary by system) you want. You could use something big like an RTAK if it is for conditioning.

Jake Salyards
08-25-2010, 05:11 PM
Two words bro -

Michael Janich

you can get the DVDs at one source tactical - well worth the money - anyway - the OST gear store hotlink is on the upper right of this webpage.

Good luck

mooseman100
08-25-2010, 05:23 PM
Best bet, take an AMOK class-. You will learn lots of take home things to practice, and the know how to use them, not just some moves off a DVD.

ogunski
08-25-2010, 05:59 PM
AMOK! is THE best for what you need. Everything else is second best.

twodogstx
08-25-2010, 06:06 PM
Another vote for AMOK! I really like Michael J's videos and think that they are both well done and relevant, but AMOK puts you into mindset of the continuum of fighting... empty hand to edge weapon. If you can take a class with Tom Sotis, you will not regret it. He is a masterful teacher of the art.

Solidus
08-25-2010, 06:08 PM
I agree with what has been said so far. I'd like to add that I have made use of whiffle golf balls and string hung at various heights in random configurations to work offense and defensive movements on the back swing. Get an oscillating fan to get them moving to practice accuracy. If you have space; set them up at random intervals in the garage and work your way across the room with slashes and stabs, concentrating on footwork and placement first followed by speed. You can get pretty intricate with a bit of imagination.