PDA

View Full Version : Intuition --how to tap into it?

mikey177
12-08-2003, 07:07 PM
I just want to ask your opinions on the value of cultivating our intuition or "gut feeling" as a tool for self-protection.

Do you think it is a useful aid in identifying and avoiding potentially dangerous situations? If so, how do you develop that little voice inside of you that warns you of possible trouble?

michael
12-08-2003, 07:39 PM
I absolutely believe in intuition. I always trust it, and it has saved my life several times. I spent 12 years on a projects beat as a cop. After a few years, I could always tell when someone was going to run, fight or go for a weapon. It becomes almost comical after a while, because you just "know" what is going to happen. I think the best way to tap into it is by paying attention to EVERYTHING in your daily life. Watch how people walk, talk, make decisions, etc., and you will be surprised how intuitive you can become. Make a game out of it.

sanchezero
12-08-2003, 10:05 PM
It's important to note that intuition is developed from experience. It is not instinct.

Intuition is your mind comparing incoming sensory input against past experience to speed up decision making. The more attentive you can be to your experiences the more info you'll amass and the quicker it will process.

Gavin DeBecker's The Gift of Fear is a good book about this very process. GDB himself is kinda an antigun guy, so ideally, borrow it from the library or a friend.

mikey177
12-09-2003, 12:41 AM
Yes, I understand that intuition can be honed by being more attentive to what goes on in our environment, including taking note of small, seemingly trivial details that are actually effective warning indicators of possible danger.

What about life experiences? You guys mentioned that practical experience is a good source of input for the intuition... but I'm sure none of us would go out of our way to get mugged or assaulted just so we'll be more attuned to similar warning signs in the future. Short of deliberately putting oneself in danger, how does one know or sense that he is being set up?

For example, here in the Philippines we have what is known as the jeepney --an open-air public conveyance that can seat about 16 persons in two opposing bench seats. A few years ago, I was riding a jeepney early one morning when a group of three men got on board. Something about the trio gave me the creeps and I immediately asked the driver to let me off at the next street corner. Since I got off, I never found out if the trio attempted to rob the driver and other passengers, or if they were actually just harmless, scruffy-looking citizens. As they say, its better to be safe than sorry, but I was just wondering if there was a more reliable way of knowing if our intuition is on the ball in the absence of hard, observable signs/cues from the environment.

B0486
12-09-2003, 05:06 AM
If the little birdie in your head starts talking to you, pay attention and follow your instincts.

After having worked the streets for 25 years in some of the nicest areas of major cities in New England, my feelings about the subject run like this:

People are aware of their surroundings or they are not. They are cognizant of who is near them or they are not. They have enough time in the environement they find themselves in to have a point of reference from past events to be leary of certain things. These might simply include not walking around a corner too close to the building or even "looking up", which many people do not do.

As to looking up, short story: The feds could not get this guys picture. He worked in a shop in Chinatown, Boston. Parked his car in a small alleyway out back. Had runners/spotters who would let him know the coast was clear so he could leave unseen from the back door to the alley and vehicle.

4am--climb the fire escape in the alley, camera in hand.
7am--he arrives in the alley in his car.
7:05am--he has his picture taken while the spotters are at the ends of the alley and his vehicle.
They never looked up. The feds were surprised when I produced the pictures from 5 stories high the next day.

I got most of my intuition in RVN, developed over a year of people trying to kill me and my friends.

Never discount your feelings. It's experience trying to tell you something.

Brownie

Ted T.
12-09-2003, 07:42 AM
DeBecker's The Gift of Fear deals with a victim's intuitive knowledge about an immenent attack, a different process than a LEO will be using.

He provides a check list of things that ping our intuitive radar which we can decide to use conciuously to ping someone.

There must be a similar list used by the intuitive officer that can be articulated.

orsectrain
12-09-2003, 11:51 AM
IMHO,

Fear is a strong and unpleasent emotion caused by the anticipation of danger.

Fear is the pre-cursor to addrenilin(sp). It is what saves your behind in a tough spot. It is okay to be afraid, the key is understanding it, and knowing how to use it.

Your 'Gut", or "Intuition" is just how this fear manifests it's self.

The "Gift of Fear" (DeBecker) is a must read. He writes like an ANTI, but he is able to articulate the concept of "Intuition/Gut" in a manner that makes it understandable.

As the "Old Timmers" might say" Rookie trust your gut!" That is total B.$. Sorry, but that type of "training" is a wast of time; Unless, you can explain the concept in a way that is easy to understand it just makes for more confusion.

You (Officers...) need to understand exactly what that "Hinkey" fealing is, and what to do when you see/feal/sense it (PINS) Pre Incident Indicators. In order to keep you safe. Experience helps, but is not the primary factor.

Case in point. I was working as an Armed Security Professional at a bank.

One day around noon I saw a White Male Adult (WMA) in his early 30's, with stringy greesy collar length+dark brown hair, and a full beard. He was wearig a 3/4 length quilted dark blue jacket. He had on green dirty/greesy "Dickey" work pants , wearing old scuffed high top basketball shoes (Felony Flyers) held on by several knots.

This person was riding a well used 10-speed bicycle on the sidewalk. He was about 35 yards away from me. He rode past, and as he did I made eye contact with him, for about 1-2 seconds. I smiled as he went by. NOTHING more. The entire contact took place in just over 5 seconds.

About 1/2 hours latter several Police cars went by Code-3, not unuasual for the area for one or two, but there were 3-5.

About 1/2 after that there were several Police cars going back the way they came. Again going Code-3. NOTHING more.

My shift ended at 1700 hrs, and I went to my second job, worked until 2130+. Locked up the Gun Shop, and went home.

When I got home that night I turned on the 10'oclock news. There, was the face of this guy from earlier that day! He had robbed a bank at gun point just down the street from were I was working.

RODE RIGHT PAST THE BANK I WAS WORKING AT, and another just across the street to a fourth bank farther down town, and robbed it as well.

The police caught him after the last robery.

The point is that I KNEW this guy was up to NO good. I knew this just as I knew the color of my unifrm shirt (Dark Grey). How?

PINS, Situationial Awareness, and Color Codes. These BASIC tools can be TAUGHT, you do not need experience for them to be usefull.

Experience will HONE those "Instincts", and or "Gut" feelings, but it is not required to have an understanding of the concepts. To be safe out there you need good training first. That coupled with experience is how we make it home to see the 10' clock news.

Well I could go on about this all day. Darn Good Thread!

TTFN,

Respectfully,

DaveJames
12-09-2003, 12:31 PM
HA! 16 people in a jeepney, when i was there that was the beganing of a load. But you did right, when the acid dumps in the ole tummy and the hair stands up on the back of your neck its time to bail period.

I find that very few you men and women have or listen to the inner voice unless they come from the back woods or the inner city, it just takes time and luck to have it start to work for you

Vig Creed
12-09-2003, 02:05 PM
BG "ESP" is developed and fine-tuned over time by never being a "trusting" person. My mother ingrained distrust of strangers in me at a very early age, 5-6 years old, after a female cousin and I were almost abducted by a child molester.

Ever since then, strangers have been "guilty until proven innocent" in my mind. Like some others here, my inate distrust saved my life several times.

creed

V42
12-09-2003, 07:12 PM
Debecker is indeed anti-gun, though he tries to pretend otherwise.

He runs a big executive protection company for people who can afford to pay his fees, but feels eveyone else should not be allowed to own firearms. He also believes in suing gun companies for the damages guns cause.

Kelly McCann (aka Jim Grover) summed it up perfectly when I took a course from him by saying, “If your gut is upside down because of someone’s approach or actions, it is a good indicator of trouble.”

billcameron
12-09-2003, 09:02 PM
I believe this is interesting question that involves theories of our subconscious and evolution. I tend most strongly toward the idea our subconsious mind stores information that we often draw on without being aware of what we are doing. I do not deal with bad guys much, but do drive. How many times have you anticipated a dumb driving move someone did before they did it? I have. And most good saleman just know when a person really wants something and is ready to buy. So I believe there are cues either physical, verbal, whatever acquired from past experience our mind has stored and we unconsciously draw upon. Yes it would be nice if we could consciously draw on them more than we do.

If you believe there is some truth to evolution, then perhaps we still have some abilities deep within us acquired from our forebears. We may not be aware of these "primitive abilities", because they have been largely lost to us from lack of use, but they still might be there. For instance if you believe dogs can smell fear, aggression, maybe at one time man could as well. And maybe to a degree we still can, but are not aware of this ability except thru a general "feeling" of unease in certain situations. Don't mean to post something perhaps more appropriate for religious forum, but I do not rule out potential that we have hidden abilities from our "primitive" past as a species.