PDA

View Full Version : Drawing your weapon. Which way works best for you?

BILLYBOB
04-13-2005, 11:48 AM
1. Cross-draw
2. Appendix
3. Above right buttock
4. If other, explain?

For me, appendix carry and draw seems to be the swiftest and most comfortable. I tried the above right buttock position but it's just too uncomfortable for me to reach back, grab and draw smoothly without pulling a muscle(lol!)

DAVE A
04-13-2005, 12:34 PM
Hi Billy-Bob

3. Above right buttock. For no other reason than that is the way I was trained and its like second nature now. Although I have had to wear Cross Draw from time to time (Vehicle, etc).

I think its definitely an individual thing.

Cheers

Dave

Barry in IN
04-13-2005, 02:16 PM
I guess right above the buttock is closest. I carry IWB, and the holster rides just ahead of the forward edge of my back pocket.

I have tried Appendix with a short barreled gun (HK P7) and liked it. But I feel it's limted to short stubby guns like that, and didn't want to spend much time on something that limited in application.

michael
04-13-2005, 03:41 PM
Appendix is great for a snubby with hip-grips and is very fast. Strong side hip carry is what I use the most, and also pocket carry if deep concealment is needed.

Guantes
04-13-2005, 03:45 PM
My actual favorite would be a solid midthigh rig with a "gunfighter cant". As that is obviously inappropriate in most cases I will give you my other favorites.

Whenever this subject is broached I have to be very careful, lest I am drown in replies re movement, combatives, etc., which I am in full agreement with, with one proviso. Speed does count. The originator of the Tueller Drill in his treatise of the subject (see link below) stated, "What it all comes down to now is your ability to smoothly and quickly draw your pistol and hit the adversary....". And "....The greater your skill with your weapon, the smaller your Danger Zone...".

One can agree with the tactics of movement and combatives (clearing the way for the gun) and still see the merit of speed and accuracy in deployment of the weapon. Assuming the classic 21' distance and 1.5 second time period, regardless of movement or combatives, would it not seem logical that it is more advantageous to put four rounds into the aggressor than two. I do not think the two, deployment speed and combatives/movement are mutually exclusive.

Onward. I actually have two that I favor. If I am going to be in the car all day, travelling, I prefer an old Safariland inverted shoulder rig for comfort and speed.

Other times I favor a Safariland Batwing witha 92fs in about the four o'clock position with a slightly forward cant. This holster has belt loops on both sides of the holster, I assume for ambidextrous use. Using the outside belt loops pulls the weapon in close to the body aiding concealment and eleminates the need for a safety strap. Running, jumping or even a head stand does not dislodge the weapon. The rig is comfortable and very fast. Numbers are included here only for reference, fast to one person is not fast to another. With an unbuttoned over shirt, this rig has proven capable of first shot times (from high retention position with the off hand in a high guard position protecting the head) in the sub .60 range. Removal of the over shirt will (on good days) drop times into the sub .40 range.

Again, I must emphasize that the speed of the deployment does not minimize or conflict with the concept of movement or combatives, merely compliments it.

I could never get comfortable with appendix carry, as I was always getting poked in the leg. Small of the back was uncomfortabel and slow.

http://www.theppsc.org/Staff_Views/Tueller/How.Close.htm
by Dennis Tueller

cyril
04-13-2005, 04:08 PM
I carry IWB strong side hip.I m comfortable and it s easy to concealed.

dhopp
04-13-2005, 04:56 PM
With my limited exposure to training with multiple areas of gun placement two sites seem to work well--

The OWB draw with the holster in the appendix position canted back( a ?natural position for the right upper extremity to grab, retract and bend the elbow, then present forward at speed). This doesn't conceal well at all but seems fast to a fellow with little training.

And the IWB right buttock carry for gun concealment for all the reasons stated above."You want my wallet Mr.(perp)? Here--Surprise!!"

RedDevil
04-14-2005, 02:50 PM
I prefer strongside right behind my hip.

Erik
04-16-2005, 07:00 PM
From concealment:
Strong side, approx 4 o'clock,IWB or OWB, no thumb break.

From non-concealment:
Strong side, 3 o'clock, OWB, thumb break.