PDA

View Full Version : Yoga/Pilates for Combatives

Cold War Scout
04-09-2005, 09:55 AM
This subject somewhat came up in another thread, however, I think it is worth opening up here in combatives.

In the past month I have started including yoga and pilates as part of my weekly workout routine. I did so initially because I felt I absolutely needed to loosen up my joints and muscles because the emphasis I placed on weights was becoing somewhat counter-productive to my ability to move as fluidly and with the agility I would have liked. Also I just plain got tired of simple injuries which all seemed to result from a lack of sufficient flexibility. And being age 50 these injuries/aches/creaks really started to get annoying.

Now one month later I can say unequivocally that I am in much better "fighting shape" than I ever was before. I still train with weights several times a week, but my mobility and flexibility have increased as a consequence of the yoga, and muscles I never used before are improving as a consequence of the Pilates. I regret not having thrown these types of exercise routines into the mix many years earlier.

Dan-O
04-09-2005, 09:58 AM
Cold War,
My wife got me to do some pilates with her and as you said,it does make you feel much better afterwards.

I was really skeptical of it at first but it really does limber you up and strengthen your joints.

michael
04-09-2005, 10:20 AM
I've done Pilates and Yoga a few times, and I think they both have much to offer for overall fitness. Pilates is really good at building core strength, and nothing works as well as Yoga for flexibility, and it is also very good for learning balance. Here's a pretty good article about Yoga:

by Rolando Garcia An individual seeking to become a complete martial athlete cannot afford to leave the ancient practice of yoga out of his/her training regimen. No other exercise addresses and develops as many physical AND mental attributes as yoga does. If you think that yoga is only for new age hippies or human pretzels, think again!! If BJJ black belts such as Rickson Gracie and Wallid Ismail train in yoga, you owe it to yourself to rethink what yoga is all about.

For BJJ practitioners, the most crucial physical link between yoga and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is their emphasis on ground work. ALL yoga poses (handstands, seated poses, standing poses) emphasize the body's relationship to the ground. All strength related exercises in yoga put the practitioner in direct resistance to the pull of gravity. Sound easy? Sure, if you're just standing around on both legs, gravity is a piece of cake. Now try standing on the balls of your feet, squat down until your thighs are parallel to the ground, and hold that pose for 10 controlled breaths. That's yoga!

More importantly, the mechanics for most of the poses found in yoga almost directly resemble the physical movements found in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. I've found, from personal experience, that yoga's "crow" pose (hands on the floor, with your knees planted behind your triceps for support) has helped my transition from side-mount to knee-on-belly tremendously. Next time you bench press 250 lb., ask yourself how that's going to help your mount escape. If you're not sure, I'm willing to bet that there's a pose in yoga that will.

Finally, yoga prepares you mentally for the rigors of BJJ sparring and competition because it teaches you how to mentally relax while holding physically compromising positions. There are poses in yoga that are meant to arouse specific emotional responses, be it anger, fear, or frustration.

Regardless of what you might feel, and how intensely you feel it, the practice of yoga teaches you not only to endure such emotions, but also encourages you to EXPERIENCE them. When you experience your physical and mental limits at their extremes, yet respond with a calm and clear attitude... getting mounted by a 260 lb. sparring partner or competitor won't be as fearsome as it used to be. That is the true benefit of yoga. Each pose, each practice session, is an opportunity to face your internal, resisting opponent. Each breath and each moment is a personal challenge that we can experience and overcome.

It's quite unfortunate that, for the majority of the population, when the word "yoga" comes up in conversation, one immediately envisions a half-naked Indian man, dressed only in a loin cloth, with his feet behind his head, chanting "ohm", smiling the widest, most masochistic grin imaginable. Or, even worse, one envisions a group of individuals, seated in full-lotus position, trying to get in touch with their inner dolphin.

But there is more to this art. Much more. Drop the weights, leave the running shoes, the gloves, and the gi at home for just one hour every Saturday, and open yourself... to yourself. Empty your cup. This is the first challenge of the path to yoga.

Rolando Garcia trains at the Basulto Academy of Defense (http://www.wayofnoway.com/). This article was first published on the web on the Royler Gracie-David Adiv Jiu-Jitsu Team (http://www.roylergracie.com/main/index.html) site

J Marwood
04-09-2005, 12:06 PM
A friend of mines father is a real fitness nut - ex-international weight-lifting coach, life long athlete the works.

Perhaps as a result of this he had to have his hips replaced (Ow! :eek:) a couple of years ago and he has constant joint pain around his knews, shoulders and back. Recently his physio has had him doing pilates and he is hooked. At first his response was 'I'm not doing that rubbish - it's for housewives!' but after he had to drag himself home with exhaustion after the first session and his joint pains have lessened massively he's become almost evangelical in his praise.

Chicago
04-09-2005, 12:11 PM
Can someone recommend good tapes for Pilates/yoga? Most of what I have seen is directed toward women and I do have some pride left.

J Marwood
04-09-2005, 12:31 PM
Can someone recommend good tapes for Pilates/yoga? Most of what I have seen is directed toward women and I do have some pride left.

There's probably some very pretty ladies on those tapes....

just a thought :)

unstpabl1
04-09-2005, 01:50 PM
Don't know about the tapes,but I found a great book.Very user friendly & idiot proof for me.The American yoga assoc."BEGINNERS MANUAL"by Alice Christensen.

Leo Daher
04-09-2005, 02:22 PM
I've been wanting to give both disciplines a try for quite some time, but especially now that I'm being plagued by some old injuries (the inevitable outcome of a lifetime of abuse, I reckon - "taking it easy" was never a part of my vocabulary :( ).

Cold War Scout
04-09-2005, 04:12 PM
My girlfriend has just about every yoga and Pilates VHS/DVD you can imagine. There is this one guy (Bryan Kest) who is a friggin' psycho. By that I mean his yoga regimen is intense. He walks around a group of students and narrates his way through various poses that the students actually do. He corrects their form and every now and then the videos show him doing the pose (he is amazing). He narrates in a somewhat dynamic manner. I have watched some of these videos and think they are not especially "feminine." He has a 3 video series called Bryan Kest's Power Yoga (video 1 is "Energize", video 2 is "Tone", and video 3 is "Sweat"). His stuff is too hard for me to do properly at this point so that's why I haven't done it yet. I have just been going to World Gym and taking a class every Sunday.

She also has a video named "Hot Yoga" by one Baron Baptiste. It's another Power Yoga type video. He does the same thing as Kest does above. Walks around students doing the poses and narrates, which again seems to me to take the feminine edge off the whole video.

Finally, I bought her a video called "Peak Performance Yoga" by one Rod Stryker. She says he is a "manly man." He is sufficiently renowned that he has actually appeared on Kathy Smith videos (she always has at least one real expert on all of her workout videos).

The rest of the videos she has (Kathy Smith, Denise Austin, Crunch) are what I would classify as decidedly feminine.

Gabriel Suarez
04-09-2005, 05:47 PM
Cold War,

As I recall, we discussed some of those concepts at Dog Brothers. One DVD which I recently got is Scott Sonnon's Warrior Wellness. You might take a peek at that. Its based on developing joint strength and full range of motion for guys with more miles than years.

Cold War Scout
04-09-2005, 05:53 PM
Gabe:

I actually have a list of Scott Sonnen videos that Mario Dominguez, an awesome associate of Tom Sotis, recommended to me. That one is on the list. Thanks for the second recommendation.

RES
04-09-2005, 06:39 PM
OOhhhh I like this thread! LOL

I've been into pilates for about 9 years. I was introduced to it by a physical therapist/trainer with whom I was working to rebuild myself after being hospitalized for several months. This same PT also introduced me to Total Gym, and, although I initially did these two exercises seperately, when the Total Gym pilates workout came out a few years later, it was a natural for me.

Yoga fits in very well with aikido- in fact, my colleague Richard Strozzi-Heckler is the co-founder of a system called "Lomi bodywork", which draws heavily from yoga (among other disciplines). I'm addicted to it.

Marc "Crafty Dog" Denny
04-09-2005, 08:19 PM
Sundry Rambling Tangents:

Yoga-BJJ: Gracie family history (I speak here of the years in which Rickson and his brothers, the one who died in the hangglider accident who was considered by all to be the family's best, the Machados) gives open recognition to the importance of Prof. Orlando Cani, who studied animal movement yoga and Gracie JJ and developed "Gimnastica Natural". When you see Rickson's deeply impressive yoga, it is this that he is doing. Roger Machado, who of all the Machado brothers focused the most with Cani (Carlos a lot too) has evolved "Yoga JJ". Guro Inosanto (hitting 69 in 2 months!) has been training in this religiously with Roger specifically in this as well as Machado BJJ for many years and begins the Silat class at his own academy with his own variation which also blends in a lot of Silat movements. When I introduced him to the Machados his back was so bad that his first lesson had to bypass the oopah and look at him now. There is real secret of longevity in this sort of training I think.

Pre-dating all this, he also continues to train in Yoga with Sarah Pettit (to whom I introduced him btw).

And he introduced me to his Pilates-Gyrotonics teacher Ann Barber, who saved my life in martial arts.

When I met Ann I was about 6 years after three knee surgeries (replacing ACL, PCL and Lateral Collateral Ligament with achilles tendons from cadavers due to freak BJJ accident with a 6'7" enthusiast) and for those 6 years my right illium (hip) continuously dislocated at the sacrum, to the point of necessitating 2-3 visits a week continuously. Otherwise the pain would wake me around 0300 for a couple of hours of stretching to ease pain so as to go back to sleep. My chiro pronounced my right sacro-illio permanently unstable.

Guro I. intro'd me to an elite massage guy (world class sprinters, pro-basketball clientele) who discovered that during my convalescences, the left hamstring had partially adhered to the femur, which threw my stride mechanics -- and everything above it-- completely out of whack, thus triggering the dislocating right hip. He pulled it free :eek: and I was ready to relearn what it was to move from a balanced center.

The 18 months with Ann Barber's pilates-gyrotonics working my core worked magic, and now I do not need a chiropractor but 1-2x a year. I can squat 225 even when not in a squatting cycle and can still submission and VT play.

So, just a story of how it worked for me.

Marc

Rob Campbell
04-09-2005, 08:52 PM
I found James Hewitt's _Complete Yoga Handbook_ very useful and comprehensive. I liked it for its no-nonsense, non-mystical approach. (I don't necessarily dislike mysticism per se, I would just rather see it divorced from practical techniques such as yoga and martial arts.) It includes recommendations of specific asanas and yogic practices for specific ailments.

I don't practise anything like as much yoga as I used to. I've found Tai Chi to be preferable for me, as I feel like I get much the same health benefits but in a more enjoyable manner. (I don't kid myself that it's useful for self-defence though.)

Never tried Pilates.

michael
04-10-2005, 09:04 AM
Its based on developing joint strength and full range of motion for guys with more miles than years.

What if you've got as many years as miles?:eek:

I think there is much to be found in Yoga/pilates for longevity in martial pursuits. This thread has prompted me to get back into it--it seems it is the first thing to go in my workouts when I'm pressed for time, but no doubt it is very important, especially as we get more "seasoned".:D

Judo_Ed
04-10-2005, 07:48 PM
Another vote for pilates. My wife's back pain used to be dehabilitating to her. After 2 years of pilates, she can run in 10 k races.

I don't think pilates or yoga alone, would be adequate for combatives. However, when combined with Olympic or power lifting, these exercise would be of great benefit to any sportive activity.

Ed

KenG
04-12-2005, 08:18 AM
This was my initial reaction, too. Don't let the false perception stop you from trying yoga. And Pilates was created by a man, Joseph Pilates.

Some benifits are flexibility, curculation, balance, & strength. Doesn't sound like bad qualities that should only be left for the ladies.

There are also a number of NFL players who do yoga, and I'm not talking about Troy Aikman.

Cold War Scout
04-12-2005, 08:38 AM
A lot of the videos out there are meant for the leotard wearing, headband wearing lipstick wearing women who are the majority of the students in any given class. I myself have found that I cannot stand most videos from that reason. I enjoy the classes I have taken immensely. The gal who teaches them also partakes in another intense conditioning class I have taken. She teaches her Pilates and yoga classes with a toguh edge to them.

KenG
04-12-2005, 10:29 AM
A lot of the videos out there are meant for the leotard wearing, headband wearing lipstick wearing women who are the majority of the students in any given class. I myself have found that I cannot stand most videos from that reason. I enjoy the classes I have taken immensely. The gal who teaches them also partakes in another intense conditioning class I have taken. She teaches her Pilates and yoga classes with a toguh edge to them.
My wife actually bought a couple of tapes that were supposed to be the basics, though she really didn't like them for the most part....1 sec...Just got off the with her and she liked the Sara Ivanhoe tapes by Crunch. And looked S. Ivanhoe up real quick and she has a new line of vids out.

I personally can't attest to how good these are or how good of an experience it is to follow a tape, but I'd image if she is doing them so could a number of other people (nothing against her). Now that I have followed an instructor I might not feel too inexperienced.

Gabe, or anyone else,

can you give any more info into the Warrior Wellness video? Don't need a lot of details, just wondering how good the workout is.

lokki
04-12-2005, 11:15 AM
This was my initial reaction, too. Don't let the false perception stop you from trying yoga. And Pilates was created by a man, Joseph Pilates.

Yup, and he invented it to help rehab wounded soldiers. Little known fact, Joe Pilates was a self-defense instructor for Scotland Yard before he developed the Pilates system. That should help make it more palatable in the face of the spanex-and-lipstick videos. :D

(My ex is a Pilates instructor, which is why I know this. It's good stuff.)

-Randy

mross
04-12-2005, 03:01 PM
I got the Daisey Fuentes Winsor Pilates for my wife. She was complaing about post pregnancy weight, yatta, yatta. I decided to try them also. I liked them, it's a dirty little secret but there I said it and I'm proud. They work. You get a good core workout, you can do them without all the yucky sweating (her words). I used to lift like a mad man. But pain and age stopped that. Now I swear by body weight exercise's and flexibilty work such as yoga, sans incense.

Cold War Scout
04-13-2005, 05:11 PM
You guys familiar with this contraption?

http://www.bosu.com/

My girlfriend has one of these (I bought it for her for Christmas). She works out on it religiously. I am still trying to hold my balance just standing on the thing. The other day I watched a DVD called Bosu Strength and Atletic Conditioning for Personal Trainers by Douglas Brooks. That was some incredibly intensive training which was clearly at the professional athlete/Navy SEAL level in order to be able to do it all. Brooks used medicine balls, weights, multiple Bosus, etc. If you are looking for something new to add power and agility to your movement, there is no doubt that this is something worth taking a look at.

kildak
04-13-2005, 09:13 PM
OOhhhh I like this thread! LOL

I've been into pilates for about 9 years. I was introduced to it by a physical therapist/trainer with whom I was working to rebuild myself after being hospitalized for several months. This same PT also introduced me to Total Gym, and, although I initially did these two exercises seperately, when the Total Gym pilates workout came out a few years later, it was a natural for me.

Yoga fits in very well with aikido- in fact, my colleague Richard Strozzi-Heckler is the co-founder of a system called "Lomi bodywork", which draws heavily from yoga (among other disciplines). I'm addicted to it.

I regularly use a Total Gym for my strength workouts. Do you know of any good instructional sources that incorporate pilates with the Total Gym?

RES
04-13-2005, 09:34 PM
I regularly use a Total Gym for my strength workouts. Do you know of any good instructional sources that incorporate pilates with the Total Gym?

If you call the manufacturer, they have an entire series of videos about Total Gym pilates, done by a married couple named Scott who have a ballet school in London. It's the same material I use.

kildak
04-14-2005, 06:21 AM
If you call the manufacturer, they have an entire series of videos about Total Gym pilates, done by a married couple named Scott who have a ballet school in London. It's the same material I use.

Much obliged!

RachelG
05-13-2005, 08:15 PM
This is kind of an old thread but in case people are still intersted.

For Yoga

Yoga Workouts for Dummies with Sarah Ivanhoe

A.M. and P.M. Yoga for Beginners by Gaim with Rodney Yee

Rodney Yee’s Power Yoga is also supposed to be good though I have yet to try it.

Pilates

Winsor Pilates has some really helpful shots but is kind of expensive

Pilates workout for dummies with Michelle Dozios
And I liked the bool The Pilates Body By Brooke Siler

Classical Pilates Technique - The Complete Mat Workout Series ( shows you what the techniques are supposed to look like but it is hard to follow along with

Netflix has a really good selection of pilates and yoga Dvds.

Marc "Crafty Dog" Denny
05-13-2005, 09:04 PM
I missed CWS's Bosu ball post until just now and heartily concur. Excellent piece of training equip. Not only does my gym have several, but I have one in my garage as well.

Often when I am video editing, normally a very sitting intensive thing, I will stand on it while watching the edits.

Good idea to use the Total Gym with Pilates.

Leo Daher
05-13-2005, 09:45 PM
I missed CWS's Bosu ball post until just now and heartily concur. Excellent piece of training equip. Not only does my gym have several, but I have one in my garage as well.

Often when I am video editing, normally a very sitting intensive thing, I will stand on it while watching the edits.

While sitting in front of the computer at home, I always use a Swiss ball instead of a chair. It's good for your core musculature, as some of you certainly know.

Marc "Crafty Dog" Denny
05-13-2005, 09:50 PM
Me too!

I have one with a 4 wheeled base and a small backrest. Tres cool.

Leo Daher
05-13-2005, 09:55 PM
I have one with a 4 wheeled base and a small backrest. Tres cool.

That sounds very interesting, Mark. Was that your idea, or did you buy it that way?

Ian Wendt
05-13-2005, 11:47 PM
It's an office chair that some company makes. Forget where it is you can buy those. Look kinda neat.

Marc "Crafty Dog" Denny
05-14-2005, 05:11 AM
I just checked my chair to see if there was any useful contact info imprinted somewhere on the plastic-- there wasn't.

SouthNarc
05-14-2005, 06:48 AM
I read an article about this guy in Outside magazine. Interesting fellow. Cool name...Turbo Vinyasa.

http://www.ironyogi.com/story.htm

Guantes
05-14-2005, 07:44 AM
I think some sort of stretching/joint exercises are essential, be they yoga, pilates, golf, ma, etc., especially when you get older. I use a combination of stretches and movements. I'm old enought to get a ss check and I can put my head on my knees standing up ala BL.

Chuckk
05-15-2005, 10:42 AM
Gabe, or anyone else,

can you give any more info into the Warrior Wellness video? Don't need a lot of details, just wondering how good the workout is.

Warrior Wellness is a three tape (now on DVD) series of joint movement. Each tape is meant to be followed for a specific function. They are: Recovery (the base tape), Coordination (second tape), and Refinement (third tape). Each tape runs approx. 25 minutes, so it's easy to just "plug and play."

They can be used as a stand alone "workout," or as a dynamic warm up for other activities.

I have been using them for a few years now, and after 32 years of combat sports, and related injuries (broken knuckles, wrenched neck, broken elbow, separated shoulder, et cetera) I haven't found anything better. . . I am more pain free and move better today than I did when I was twenty. . .

As an aside, if you guys like Pilates and Yoga, you should take a look at Sonnon's Be Breathed (all core work and Performance Breathing) and Body Flow (like a mix of yoga and wrestling positional drills--but done with movement rather than statically like most yoga)

Good stuff!

All the Best!

Cold War Scout
12-16-2005, 01:32 PM
I have bought my woman two of these. One for work and one for home. They are perfect for her, but the balance ball that actually comes with the chair is kind of small for a bigger guy.

http://www.gaiam.com/retail/product.asp?product%5Fid=95-1004

http://a787.g.akamai.net/7/787/2898/v306/www.gaiam.com/retail/images/products/95-1004_detail.jpg

Cold War Scout
12-16-2005, 01:34 PM
Cold War,

As I recall, we discussed some of those concepts at Dog Brothers. One DVD which I recently got is Scott Sonnon's Warrior Wellness. You might take a peek at that. Its based on developing joint strength and full range of motion for guys with more miles than years.

I have gotten this DVD recently and started following the program. It does seem quite beneficial. Rather than focusing on stretching, it focuses on range of motion of joints, and the strengthening of them as well.

Leo Daher
12-16-2005, 02:07 PM
CWS,

Cool, thanks for the feedback.

Incidentally, I've just lost another stability ball, which got punctured somehow. Guess from now on I'm gonna stick to the more expensive DuraBall Pro, since it's a lot thicker and has a load rate of 2200 lbs. As someone once said, "buy quality and only cry once".

taowave
12-25-2005, 10:47 AM
Hi all,
First time poster and long time martial artist ranging from Seido karate to Brazilian Jiu Jutsu...Over the years from the jarring impact I managed to herniate my L4-L5 disc....My therapist reccomended Pilates as opposed to Yoga and I can honestly say it has been the single best conditioning tool for my core that I have ever done.I have practiced yoga as well,predominantly Iyengar,but I would strongly reccomend starting with Pilates first as it teaches you to engage the core and move from the center.From there,the priciples can be applied to any movement.Yoga is also great,but i have found all too often that unless you find a teacher who understands engaging the transverse abdominus(deepest ab musle)and core,you are moving from your extremities and not your center..