PDA

View Full Version : Sig P239

Bruce Eimer
12-06-2003, 02:20 PM
Hi Folks,

Does anyone have experience shooting and carrying for CCW the SIG P239 in either or both 9mm or .40 SW?

How do you like this gun?

Bruce Eimer

LFW
12-06-2003, 03:56 PM
I bought a 9mm SIG239 right after they came out. Fine gun, and I like single stack autos anyway, but there is something about the shape or size of the grip that just doesn't feel quite right to me. I've tried a couple of different kinds of grips on it, currently am using Nill, and think they feel best so far. I bought a Walther P5C a while back, and with Nill grips it has a perfect grip for me--unfortunately the P5C is a little bit thicker than the 239.--Leigh

michael
12-06-2003, 06:20 PM
I also bought the 9mm version soon after they came out, and my experience is the same as LFW. It was an excellent quality weapon, reliable and accurate, but the grip never worked for me either. I sold mine.

sponge
12-06-2003, 06:55 PM
Good question, I do not read much on these. I read in gun tests (I think this was the magazine) that they are one of those .40s that are recomended by the FBI (along with the glock). As to the grip not being comfy for some, I have only picked one up and thought that the grip was a comfortible grip indeed.

Yamdog
12-07-2003, 03:38 PM
I have the P239 .40 for off duty carry. It is very reliable and accurate. It carries well and is pretty thin.

Orive 8
12-07-2003, 04:47 PM
The Sig P239 in 9mm is my primary CCW weapon. I have found that the weapon is totally reliable and very "shootable". Having fired numerous rounds through various Sigs, this is the one that I find fits my needs best. The smaller, thinner grips fit my hands better than all other Sigs.

If you have larger hands, the grips might not fit you though.

Obiwan
12-08-2003, 01:23 PM
I had one in .357 sig

It was a wonderful weapon...I only parted with it when I decided to divest myself of all my DA/SA autos

Very accurate and reliable...easy to shoot

lcp
12-08-2003, 04:44 PM
I have now been carrying the P239 in .40 as my primary carry weapon for about three months. I went from a Glock 36 to the Sig. It is quite a bit heavier than the Glock but still quite comfortable to carry in the right holster. I also put a pair of Hogue grips on the gun and I find the Sig to be the most comfortable shooting and gripping gun that I have been using for regular carry. I also began using the Sig for IDPA competition and last match posted my best score to date. The transition from double to single action does take some getting used to and must be practiced.

jacketch
12-09-2003, 02:13 PM
My P239 is 9mm and it is both reliable and accurate. It isn't the smallest pistol available but I find it easy to conceal comfortably. I have been extremely happy with mine.

Vig Creed
12-09-2003, 02:58 PM
Note: There is a HUGE difference in "feel" between the short and long stock triggers. That may be why some here have complained about the "feel"? Try both before buying.

creed

lcp
12-10-2003, 03:57 PM
creed, I have been thinking of going to the AO Big Dot sight for my P239 in .40. Can you give me your thoughts pros and cons.

EAF
12-11-2003, 09:37 AM
"Does anyone have experience shooting and carrying for CCW the SIG P239 in either or both 9mm or .40 SW?

How do you like this gun?"

Mr. Eimer,

I like this gun just fine. I learned to shoot on a P226 and when I started to carry, I wanted the same operating system in a smaller package. I've had mine (a 9mm) since SIG started selling them and have put between 25,000 and 35,000 (I lost track after 20,000 rnds) rounds through it with no mechanical failures of any kind. No pieces have broken off of it and no gunsmith has had to repair it. I liked it enough, I bought another.

Quite accurate, more accurate than I will ever be. Unless you've already learned how to shoot a DA/SA pistol, the DA/SA will require a commitment to learn and master, with lots of dry fire practice. So if you're not hitting with your first shot too your satisfaction, try more DA dry fire practice.

One of the downsides is that there are several small parts that are prone to rust. The grip screws, the slide stop, the de-cocker, the takedown lever, the sights (at least my SIGlites do), and the trigger. If you sweat, these will rust at some point or other and you'll want to check them. The slide stop, and de-cocker in particular.

Are there better pistols for carry purposes? Of course. Will other pistols fit better in your hands? Of course. The P239 has served me well and I can recommend it with only my experience as a base to speak from.

Please forgive any spelling mistakes.

EAF

Bruce Eimer
12-11-2003, 07:23 PM
creed, I have been thinking of going to the AO Big Dot sight for my P239 in .40. Can you give me your thoughts pros and cons.

They are now called XS Express Big Dot sights and come in tritium night sights (rear bar and fron big dot)

They're what I now use on all of my carry guns (e.g., Glock 27, 30, 17, 22, 23; SIG 239, 220, 245; Springfield XD-9; SW 686; Kimber Custom TLE II.

They solve the problem of my diminishing distance vision--I wear progressive bi-focals and thus, I have a problem seeing a clear front sight picture.

At under 25 yards, you just put the big dot front sight on your target, and press the trigger. At beyond 25 yds, you place the big dot front sight at 6 o'clock.

If you get the 24/7 set you get a tritium front big dot sight and a tritium rear bar. You align the big dot on top of the bar to get a lolly pop--and a big surprise for your attacker if the situation is for real.

The websight is: www.expresssights.com

There are no "cons" for combat or defensive shooting -- under 15 yards. Thye are quick and efficient and bridge the gap between "point shooting" and "sighted shooting". There is a bit of learning curve like with most things. But it's worth it.

Bruce Eimer

Vig Creed
12-12-2003, 08:28 AM
ICP,

Bruce has it about nailed. There are two sizes of BIG DOTS: BIG and medium. I like them both. If you can see your front sight in sharp 20/20 focus now, the medium size might be better for you. Otherwise, the biggest dot is better.

I've tried just about every type sight out there, and the BIG DOTS are without question the fastest for up-close self-defense shooting.

creed

lcp
12-12-2003, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the info on the Big Dot sight. I also have problems with clarity of the front sight. I also wanted something that would provide quick acquisition for IDPA shooting. It does sound like the way to go.