PDA

View Full Version : the urban gun colection

sponge
12-05-2003, 08:51 AM
Just for fun how about a discusion about the gun person in the city. What would be a well rounded battery for one livin' in an apartment in the city and who also does not hunt? I was thinking of an AK as a paperweight and a small .45 auto for carry. these two would cover target shooting and personal defense. Or maybe a shotgun in place of the AK but the AK would be more fun to shoot. I agree that it is not a good idea to have many guns in an apartment. I know of apartments that have been burgled (with the entry gained throught use of a key!!!). And also the appartment lifestyle works against to many collections of stuff due to lack of space.

sanchezero
12-05-2003, 10:20 AM
I think a short rifle, ideally with a red dot on it and two identical or similar pistols along with plenty of ammo and magazines would satisfy just about any NEED.

RedDevil
12-05-2003, 04:56 PM
Well I live in an apartment in the city and I have an AK-47 and a full-size 1911 for concealed carry. I have a shotgun but it has a skeet barrel on it so it's not practical for home defense. I agree that a firearm collection is limited in an apartment considering the easy availability of the master key.

MACOP
12-05-2003, 09:17 PM
While I agree that the quantity of guns would be limited living in an apartment, I would say you still need the basics.

Good defensive rifle, good defensive handgun (full size) and good back up gun. Lots of mags, ammo, holsters, belts and training.

If economics and space allow, identical weapons to back these up in case of problems.

I would choose an FN FAL variant, USP .45, and Glock 27.
It's good to have a plan.
SteveB

InTheBlack
12-05-2003, 09:20 PM
Nothing wrong with a nice thick safe in the living room as a conversation piece. They also make "horizontal" safes which can be disguised as a coffee table or setee.

I think a .223 rifle would be better than an AK because the .223 is a lot less likely to penetrate the walls.

This is still a good link:
http://www.olyarms.com/gunsite.html

The Call-Out Bag
by Gunsite Training Center Staff

A Comparison of .223 Penetration vs. Handgun Calibers

RedDevil
12-05-2003, 10:42 PM
Nothing wrong with a nice thick safe in the living room as a conversation piece. They also make "horizontal" safes which can be disguised as a coffee table or setee.

I think a .223 rifle would be better than an AK because the .223 is a lot less likely to penetrate the walls.

This is still a good link:
http://www.olyarms.com/gunsite.html

The Call-Out Bag
by Gunsite Training Center Staff

A Comparison of .223 Penetration vs. Handgun Calibers

I agree 100%. The .223 would be better due to penetration issues. I wouldn't think of using my AK for defense inside my apartment. I have always kept my AR next to my bed before I moved here and for the time I had it when I was living in this apartment. I have since sold it so the 1911 sits by the bed even though I know it's not the best caliber for apartment defense.I think a good shotgun with a barrel 20" or under would also be a good addition.

Rob96
12-06-2003, 01:57 AM
Well I live in the city, and I have a modest collection. For the carbine I have a DPMS Classic Sixteen, scattergun is a Remington 870 Express HD, concealed carry is covered by a Colt 1911A1 and a Glock 19, and I do believe in having a revolver or two, so that is covered by a 4" ss Ruger GP-100 and a 2.25" Ruger SP-101.

sponge
12-06-2003, 07:38 PM
So maybe in instead of the AK have a FAL with some of those fragmenting bullet loads to prevent overpenatration.

And a 5 shooter as a backup gun. Along with that .45 carry piece. Maybe a shotgun in place of the FAL though as a shotgun is not so "offensive".

sanchezero
12-06-2003, 08:31 PM
If you don't wanna be offensive, get a pistol caliber levergun. Dems da shizzle...