PDA

View Full Version : Pearce grip for the Springfield XD review and pics

ajamesp51
12-04-2003, 05:46 PM
I had a sneek peek at the pearce grip extention for the xd before almost everyone else So I thought I would share. I have had this posted elseware for about 2 weeks now and finaly got around to puting it here. Also for you glock people pearce has two new grips for some glock models. They also now have some for Keltecs and a tuarus pistol.

http://www.xd-hs2000.com/images/ext.jpg
Review of the extension

The Pearce Grip Extension for the Springfield Armory xd/hs2000 series handguns.

The XD/HS2000 Pistols have been around in one form or another since 2000. Most of the Gun
magazines gave the pistol good marks as the HS 2000 and even better as the Extreme Duty series
by Springfield Armory. One of the main complaints though was the lack of aftermarket
parts, why buy an HS 2000 or XD nothings available for it. Now almost four years later
that statement is almost void, all the major holster makers now have products for all three
sizes of xd including duty ones. A full length guide rod has been available for about the
last six months and now wolff offers one as well. Sites are easily replaced with ones that
will fit in the dovetail of any Sig pistols. Now with the release and popularity of the
Subcompact XD-9, XD fans wanted more. Springfield Armory has at gunshows shown the new xd-40
subcompact that should be available sometime in 2004. One of the main complaints common to users
of the XD Sub and the Glock Sub compacts are that the Grip is to small. And now with the intoduction
of a .40 caliber xd sub it is a whole lot of pistol to handle with the grip barely 3/4`s in you hand.

Pearce Grip located in Texas has been offering solutions to grip problems since 1997 and offers
Grip extensions for Glocks, Kahrs and Para-ordnance pistols. And as of November 2003 Pearce will
now also be offering Grip Extensions for the Kel tec, Taurus, more Glocks, and XD pistols. The XD
grip extension Model PG-XD is a welcome addition for any XD sub compact owner. The XD sub with a
grip length of about an inch and a half, most people can fit two fingers around the grip with the
pinky finger falling off the grip and hanging under the base plate. (pic) This is fine while shooting
slow and with target ammo, but try a fast string of shots or plus ammo and it takes some getting used to.
With .40 caliber ammo it will only seem to exacerbate the situation. By adding the grip extension the
grip will grow to about two and half inches plenty of room for all three fingers but still being vary
concealable and more comfortable to shoot. (pic)

To use the extension simply remove your facory base plate being carefull not to loose th meagazine
locking plate. Install the Pearce extension reversing the order you used to get the base plate off.
My only complaint was when installing the extension it was a really tight fit when sliding it on as
oppossed to the factory base plates. This though may be a good thing, being a tight fit means that the
extension will not fly or fall off when being droped on the floor during a magazine change. I loaded a
magazine installed with the extension and checked it. The pearce baseplate did not swell or expand as
the base plates in cheaper magazines do. I then loaded the mag in the pistol and preformend a series
of drop tests. Holding the pistol extended I released the magazine over a hard dirt surface, out of
the five times I tryed the test the extension never fell off or sliped out of place. I then moved
over concrete and tryed the same test. Out of the five time I droped the magazine the extension
never fell or moved out of place. I then tryed the frisbee method and flinged the magazine across
the dirt and concrete and all 10 times the extension did not move. In all after droping the extension
20 times the extension did not move or break although several rounds flew out of the magazine. The
extension is quality built and any lesser product would have chiped or broke rendering the magazine
useless.

The extension just does not only fit the sub compact but can replace any XD or HS2000 base plate. So if
you have large hands the extension can make the four or five inch XD/HS2000 fit you even better. If you
shoot compititions or use the xd-40 mags loaded with 15 9mm rounds it swells and will not drop free
until there are only twlelve rounds left. So another plus to using the extension on the full sized
magazines is that it makes it easier to pull the magazine if you have to get rid of it. Pearce has now
provided XD fans with another quality aftermarket part that only improves the XD shooting experience.

http://www.xd-hs2000.com/images/pearce1.jpg

ajamesp51
12-04-2003, 05:47 PM
http://www.xd-hs2000.com/images/pearce2.jpg

http://www.xd-hs2000.com/images/pearce3.jpg

and someone on another post asked what they looked like on the 4inch.
http://www.xd-hs2000.com/images/gripxd.jpg

I am actually selling them online so thats why I had them before any one else.

MTS
12-04-2003, 06:27 PM
I think I am about the only other one on here that is an XD shooter besides you.

How much, delivered?

michael
12-04-2003, 06:31 PM
Nope, me too. I love my XD. It's my favorite pistol of all time.:)

ajamesp51
12-05-2003, 05:23 PM
13.00 delivered. I am already sold out of my first shipment and should get the next shipment on mon. I also will have full length SS guide rods with springs for the xd 4 and 5 in. It makes it alot easier to change out you springs.
http://www.xd-hs2000.com/chrome2.jpg

ajamesp51
12-07-2003, 06:32 PM
I have recived my second and third shippments of the grips so I now have a steady supply. I have also started a shopping cart so you can now order as many of the grips as you want. Grips are 10.00 and shipping depends on how many you order.
1-2= 3.00
3-4= 4.00
5-6= 5.00
the link to order is

http://www.xd-hs2000.com/shopping

I will also be adding some holsters, grips, Springs and some other xd items in the near future.

As of now I am the only place on the web to offer the grips, Pearce should have stoped selling them to the public and not even any stores that I know of have these grips in stock. I am trying to still make my website look better but its hard being in school working and chating on this website all the time. But eventually maybe by jan I will have things worked out better.

MTS
12-07-2003, 07:30 PM
ajamesp51,

You have PayPal.:)

ajamesp51
12-07-2003, 10:31 PM
Grip sent, thanks Mark Tell us how they work for you.

MTS
12-11-2003, 10:22 AM
I got my XD Pearce Grip today and tried them on my compact and full size model.

GOOD NEWS:D

On the compact it was great. Tight fit blended in with the frame and gave me a good "pinky rest".

BAD NEWS:confused:

On my full size it would not work. I placed the grip on two differant magazines and neither one would seat in the pistol.

Both mags were SA LEO magazines purchased direct from SA.

ajamesp51
12-11-2003, 01:12 PM
I talked to the folks at SA and there should be no problem. The only difference between leo mags and standard xd mags is the removal of the dimple that runs the length of the mag. since SA did not have a grip to test them I am sending SA a few to test on thier leo mags. Mark thanks for telling me about the problem I am also going to let the people at pearce know as well.

MTS
12-11-2003, 05:51 PM
I just tried it on a 10 rounder in two differant XD's (both full size), same problem.:confused:

ajamesp51
12-11-2003, 06:41 PM
Thats wierd I tryed it on all mine again and it works, but in a day or two SA is going to get back to me, to see if they are having any problems.

trailblazer
01-07-2004, 10:34 AM
i just got my XD-40 and kind of new to all this
i was wanting to know the difference between the stock spring and the full length SS guide rods
and difference in shooting
or is it just in the recoiling
jeff

MTS
01-07-2004, 12:35 PM
trailblazer,

Sorry I cannot help you. I have XD-9's and use the standard recoil spring in all of them.

Maybe ajamesp51 can help.

In the meantime here is an XD forum that you might be able to search out some information on;

http://www.hs2000talk.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi

ajamesp51
01-07-2004, 12:49 PM
The standard recoil spring is dual captive, meaning there are two springs that telescope into each other and have a factory weight of 18 pounds on all three calibres. The full length guide rod will allow you to change your spings, either custom tuning or just replacing worn ones (try finding a factory replacement the day before a match) If you have a 5 in tactical xd you can use Any govt model 1911 springs, and with the 4 inch use wolff or wilson combat compact 1911 springs. Most people end up using a 22 pound spring (this is wha I use in my 9mm) in all three cals. one this spring helpd keep your slide locked and not come out of battery when reholstering, two recoil is greatly reduced in the .40/357 rnds and in the 9mm recoil is a whole lot milder for double taps and fast strings of shooting especially for compition. And since the full length uses 1911 springs any well stocked gun shop will have replacements available without having to go through Springfield Armory and wait and deal with the warrenty.
This guide rod is also stronger then the factory since it is one solid peice. And in alot of peoples oppinion it looks better then stock not to metion cool points. I now have the guide rods availabe for 19 dollars total shipped 3-4 dollars cheeper then xdtalk after credit card usage fees.

www.xd-hs2000.com/shopping

If you have any more questions post.