PDA

View Full Version : Folder legal? OK, carry it like a fixed.

Winchester67
05-16-2010, 08:58 AM
So lots of states have regulations on carrying a fixed blade knife, but are much more open with a folder. What about carrying a folder like a fixed in a sheath? Eliminates the possible fumbling with opening under stress...

Desert Rat
05-16-2010, 10:11 AM
I think Randy Harris started a thread about this very thing a few years back using a Spyderco Delica with a kydex sheath carried just to the left of the belt buckle.

It's a good idea if you can't legally carry a fixed blade.

Desert Rat
05-16-2010, 10:16 AM
http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.php?t=24299&highlight=belt+sheath

Winchester67
05-17-2010, 04:55 PM
Somehow, I just KNEW that I could not have been the first guy to come up with this idea. I think that thread from 07 should have a sticky...

scbair
05-20-2010, 02:21 PM
I hate to get wrapped up in legalities, but I understand that would be illegal in CA; considered the same as carrying a concealed fixed blade. The requirement that the blade be opened prior to use (even via a "wave" feature) makes it legal.

WD_40
05-20-2010, 02:34 PM
I hate to get wrapped up in legalities, but I understand that would be illegal in CA; considered the same as carrying a concealed fixed blade. The requirement that the blade be opened prior to use (even via a "wave" feature) makes it legal.

That's correct. I seem to remember that CA's law covers "readily available stabbing instruments" so that everything from knives to screwdrivers are included.

Benjamin Liu
05-20-2010, 02:55 PM
Somehow, I just KNEW that I could not have been the first guy to come up with this idea. I think that thread from 07 should have a sticky...

It is an old idea. IIRC the Gerber Parabellum from the 1980s had a sheath so it could be carried folded or fixed, and in the 1990s I saw a sheath sold for a tactical folder, I think it was for the Benchmade Emerson CQC-7.

In the early 1990s I saw a leather sheath which carried a folded Endura which opened the knife as you drew it. That should work in places that ban carrying fixed blades or open folders.

Mickey Rourke
05-20-2010, 03:05 PM
Waved Endura:

http://www.themartialist.com/images/wavedendura01.jpg

silat_1
05-22-2010, 11:21 PM
It is an old idea. IIRC the Gerber Parabellum from the 1980s had a sheath so it could be carried folded or fixed, and in the 1990s I saw a sheath sold for a tactical folder, I think it was for the Benchmade Emerson CQC-7.

In the early 1990s I saw a leather sheath which carried a folded Endura which opened the knife as you drew it. That should work in places that ban carrying fixed blades or open folders.

Back in the late 70's early 80s, there was a sheath that was specifically designed for the Buck 110 that would allow for it to be opened almost like it had a wave on it.. I had one that I used when I lived in the Philippines and it was with me on a daily basis..

David III
05-26-2010, 08:33 AM
Back in the late 70's early 80s, there was a sheath that was specifically designed for the Buck 110 that would allow for it to be opened almost like it had a wave on it.. I had one that I used when I lived in the Philippines and it was with me on a daily basis..

I remember those things. They were all over the "biker" world for a while.