PDA

View Full Version : Which one of these liner folder knife?

Alexandru
05-02-2010, 08:32 AM
Hi,

Iím looking for a folder knife with liner lock up to 150$. Technical specifications: blade length more than 4 inches, quality for steel and handle, good balance between bladeís length and overall length and quick access for deployment.

Please tell me what do you think about these models which Iíve listed below in my preference list ( or anything else similar)?

1.Spyderco Military Black Combo;
2.Boker Escrima Advance Dagger;
3.Gerber Applegate _Fairbairn Combat;
4.Sog Pentagon EliteII,
5.Remington Echo II Law Enforcement;
6.Benchmade Harley-Davinson LFK.

Thank you, Alex.

ducati
05-02-2010, 09:13 AM
Spyderco Military, Plain edge, no use for serrations.

Will C
05-02-2010, 10:13 AM
I too would vote for the Spyderco, given these choices.

Any reason you're specifically set on a liner lock? In this thread--http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.php?t=36723&highlight=liner+lock--some cautionary notes regarding liner locks. I am personally a fan of spine and "axis" locks.

Alexandru
05-02-2010, 11:37 AM
Gabe S. said that liner lock suck, but other instructors are in favor of them. It is hard for me to decide which locking to chose. Now I have 2 fixed blade: a gerber mark 2 and a kalshnikov baionet 1942 model. Anyway I'm not stuck with liner lock.

RatDrall
05-02-2010, 11:53 AM
I've been using a Spyderco Military constantly over the last 1-2 years and the lock has been nothing but solid.

It's the lightest 4" folder I've ever handled, thanks to the G10 handle with titanium skeletonized frame.

Garloch
05-02-2010, 12:02 PM
Out of the ones you listed, there is absolutely no question that I would choose the Spyderco Military.

Benjamin Liu
05-02-2010, 12:28 PM
I really like the Spyderco Endura, so out of the knives you list I'd go with the Spyderco Military.

Jon Payne
05-02-2010, 12:42 PM
With the cost of the models you listed it appears you're willing to buy a quality knife. I will not own another liner lock. My 1st choice would be an Axis lock with a traditional lock back coming in 2nd. I would suggest looking at the Benchmade Rukus, Benchmade Barrage, Spyderco Police Model w/G10 handle, Spyderco Endura, and the Spyderco Delica. I also like the Cold Steel Voyager 5" clip point.

We have two of the foremost experts in the knife world on this forum. See what Tom Sotis and Mike Janich have to recommend.

HamburgO
05-02-2010, 01:31 PM
+1 on the Spyderco. I've had good luck with the Endura and Police models for over 20 yrs. Quality is great at the price, they hold an edge well, and I like the big thumb hole, find it easier to operate under stress than a little bitty thumb stud.

Unlike most folks here, I do like a combo blade or even serrations only better than straight edge.

The one other knife that I've added to my EDC carry options is the Benchmade Rukus (http://www.benchmade.com/products/610). It's an axis-lock, nice and heavy (makes for a very good palm-stick too), grip shape gives a very secure hold, and although it also has a thumb-stud opener, will open with just a little push on any part of the blade and a flick of the wrist.

piratelooking@40
05-02-2010, 09:06 PM
Emersons can be had for $150 here, don't know about your area. I greatly prefer them to any of the knives listed.

Ragsbo
05-03-2010, 04:30 AM
Spyderco is my prefered brand. I like the large hole for opening and that is what I have used for years and have ingrained into my muscle memory.

Alexandru
05-03-2010, 06:38 AM
We have two of the foremost experts in the knife world on this forum. See what Tom Sotis and Mike Janich have to recommend.

Thanks Jon
I've saw one dvd with Mike Janich about knife, I read some of his article in Combat Magazine and I read his bullsyes don't shoot back Back.

Alexandru
05-03-2010, 01:26 PM
I too would vote for the Spyderco, given these choices.

Any reason you're specifically set on a liner lock? In this thread--http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.php?t=36723&highlight=liner+lock--some cautionary notes regarding liner locks. I am personally a fan of spine and "axis" locks.

Thanks for this link but I've agreed with below point of wiev:

Originally Posted by Sigfan22 http://www.warriortalk.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.php?p=863887#post863887)
I find the theory that liner locks are dangerous to hold about as much water as the theory that Glock handguns are unsafe because they lack an external manual safety. I can say from personal experience that I have had a Spyderco Endura Waved close on my hand while opening, I have personally seen 4 benchmade axis lock knives fail to lock open due to mechanism failure, and I have watched a man almost completely sever the tip of his finger closing an axis lock. With all of this in mind, I can honestly say that I have never seen a liner lock fail. The knife used in the video is a smith & wesson that does not even meet the quality standards of Frost Cutlery (Sadly, I know, I own both). The moral to this story has two points, 1) You get what you pay for with a liner lock. If you want a good liner lock, go with a benchmade, emerson, or even a kershaw, and 2) If you do not want to risk a knife closing on your hand, buy a g**d**n fixed blade! Blaming a knife for cutting you is like blaming a Glock for firing when you had your finger in the trigger guard while reholstering.

Michael Janich
05-04-2010, 06:25 AM
Hi,

Iím looking for a folder knife with liner lock up to 150$. Technical specifications: blade length more than 4 inches, quality for steel and handle, good balance between bladeís length and overall length and quick access for deployment.

Please tell me what do you think about these models which Iíve listed below in my preference list ( or anything else similar)?

1.Spyderco Military Black Combo;
2.Boker Escrima Advance Dagger;
3.Gerber Applegate _Fairbairn Combat;
4.Sog Pentagon EliteII,
5.Remington Echo II Law Enforcement;
6.Benchmade Harley-Davinson LFK.

Thank you, Alex.

First, check your local laws with regard to blade length and see what really qualifies as legal. That may narrow the list.

I reviewed the Boker for Tactical Knives magazine and found it big and clunky. The double guard also makes it hard to carry and deploy.

The A-F folder is a classic, but the full-sized version (I believe) does not have a clip. That makes carrying an issue. The smaller Covert is not strong enough for my tastes.

I also reviewed the SOG for Tactical Knives. The Arc lock is strong and overall it's a great knife. The only down side is the "hot spot" on the handle near the index finger (when held in standard grip). That gets uncomfortable.

I'm not specifically familiar with the Remington, but I know they had farmed out a number of their knives to Meyerco. The quality of their folders is very inconsistent (I wrote their current catalog and got "hands on" with almost all of their current product). The Darrel Ralph and Brent Beshara designs are much better, but the others are hit and miss.

Benchmade's Harley line is basically their way of continuing their Red line (China made) while pushing PR about US manufacturing.

Of the list, my choice would be the Spyderco military. The drawback to it as a liner lock is the lock release cutout in the handle. For a defensive folder, it's too big. The smaller Paramilitary is a compression lock with the same basic design. It's a better choice for personal defense.

I hope this helps.

Stay safe,

Mike

RatDrall
05-04-2010, 06:43 AM
Of the list, my choice would be the Spyderco military. The drawback to it as a liner lock is the lock release cutout in the handle. For a defensive folder, it's too big. The smaller Paramilitary is a compression lock with the same basic design. It's a better choice for personal defense.

This is interesting, can you please elaborate on why the shorter version of the same blade would be preferred for defensive use?

...By the way, I love my Kalista :D

dickmadison
05-04-2010, 11:53 AM
of the choices...spyderco military....but I would choose the spyderco police over that any day of the week.

Also for liner locks...I love my Lone Wolf T2 Ranger (no longer in production) and my Ontario Rat 1 (super affordable) ---I've had no problems with either. Both have seriously audible and forceful lockups and deploy wicked fast.

Alexandru
05-04-2010, 12:11 PM
Thank you. So Emerson, Cold Steel or Emerson.

Michael Janich
05-06-2010, 06:28 AM
This is interesting, can you please elaborate on why the shorter version of the same blade would be preferred for defensive use?

...By the way, I love my Kalista :D

I'm not purposely advocating a shorter blade--unless you need to do so to be legal. The bigger difference between the Military and Paramilitary is the lock. The military was designed as a user-friendly tool for military personnel, who often work with gloves on. The relief cut in the handle allows easy operation of the lock release, even while wearing gloves.

The Paramilitary uses a compression lock. For defensive use, it's a better choice because it's an inherently stronger mechanism and it requires a more deliberate effort to release the lock.

Stay safe,

Mike

tomcatg
05-06-2010, 07:49 AM
Thanks for your insight Mike. Very enlightening! I am currently carrying a Kershaw Blur or a Cold Steel Vaquero. Do you think these are acceptable choices?

Alexandru
05-07-2010, 06:13 AM
Glad to see you Michael J. I have one DVD (about knife), and one book (about point and shoot) with you.
I’ve give order today for Spiderco Military. Here knives are forbidden for citizen, but I’m police man. And I'm thinking about the second choice.
Thanks.

Slainte
05-07-2010, 09:57 AM
Spyderco persistence - stainless liners, g10, liner lock, good thickness in flat ground -3" blade

all for $30

they make a larger model above that

best folder I have carried for the price in years

bought two to turn one into a trainer or a back up

Alexandru
05-09-2010, 03:48 AM
Cold Steel Extra Large Tanto Voyager 5-1/2" VG-1 San Mai III Plain Blade, Grivory Handles (96 $) or Cold Steel Extra Large Voyager VG-1 5" Tanto Plain Edge Blade (63 $)?

http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=CS29TXT (http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=CS29TXT)
http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=CS29XT (http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=CS29XT)

Do you think it’s worth spending more money for the new model (with better handle shape and longer blade but bulky) or should I stay with the older one?

Sgt398
05-09-2010, 06:10 AM
NO! Stick with the old.