PDA

View Full Version : Glock 26 concealed carry

dvr2001
12-03-2003, 10:49 PM
I just got my CCW in CA, and am looking for a concealed carry holster. The G-26 is a fat little gun that can be a challenge to keep hidden. Ideally the holster I am looking for will be very thin, and comfortable to wear for long periods of time. I tried an Uncle Mikes IWB because it was cheap, but the thing stuck out way too much. It was also pretty uncomfortable.
Is there anyone who has a thin kydex holster which fits the bill in terms of comfort and concealability? And has anyone used a tuckable version(allows the shirt to be tucked in) of the kydex holster which works?
Thanks

MTS
12-04-2003, 06:09 AM
Try here;

http://www.cen-dex.com/

It is not tuckable but I have one for a G-17/22 and it does not stick out either.

RedDevil
12-04-2003, 06:37 AM
I carried a g26 for about 5 months. It was most comfortable and concealed in a Comp-Tac Ghurka. CT now makes a tuckable holster (CTAC) but I found it was too uncomfortable with my full-size 1911. I also had good luck carrying it in a Smartcarry holster for when I needed better concealment(no shirt) but it was slower to get at.

V42
12-04-2003, 08:11 AM
I've done it with an Uncle Mike's or a Desantis pocket holster, loose fitting pants, and a pants pocket lengthened and enlarged by a tailor. Works in any weather.

JerryM
12-04-2003, 08:01 PM
IWB holsters tend to be uncomfortable if everything is not fitted well. Your pants need to be large enough to accomodate the holster, and your belt must be heavy enough to keep the holster in position. Some people are just not built for one.
The Glock is thick and that compounds the problem.

I have a G26, and carried it this last week. I have a MacDaniel II by Andrews Custom Leather. It was one of the first IWB holsters I bought, and I have been happy with it. I also have a Kramer IWB. Either is good as long as my pants are an inch or so larger than normal.

In IWB holsters "thinner is better" as a general rule. Lined holsters are necessarily thicker, and if there is an additional layer of either leather or a metal band at the top to keep the holster from collapsing, then the holster is also thicker.
I personally do not find Kydex as comfortable as leather for IWB carry.

I have found DeSantis and Don Hume holsters very satisfactory, and they are a little less expensive than some others.

The most comfortable IWB holster that I have is a Milt Sparks EX Companion for my 1911 compact. It is thin, and the extra leather better forms to my body than if it were not there. It also has a layer of a waterproof something between the inside two layers to keep sweat from getting on the inner layer and the gun. That is not a problem for me here in NM, but it would be in AR for example.

I find that I wear IWB less and less. I wear my shirt tail out for casual wear, and a Fobus Paddle works well. For the Glock there is also the Glock Slide type mini holster which works well also.

I have never figured out how the tuckable holsters work. It appears that the shirt tail would be so sloppy that it is better to wear it outside.

If you can, borrow a holster from a friend, and try it for a day. It may save you buying a drawer or two of holsters as some of us have done trying to find the perfect holster.

Jerry

billcameron
12-04-2003, 08:16 PM
Spend some money on good holster and don't forget a good belt whose width matches holster loops. Expect to make some modifications to your clothing.

http://www.kramerleather.com/

http://www.miltsparks.com/

http://www.mitchrosen.com/

Grey Wolf
12-05-2003, 05:08 PM
I really like my Sidearmor IWB (http://www.sidearmor.net) for IWB use. The y have a tuckable attachment but it really makes the whole deal too thick.

Fist makes super thin kydex you can search and find some deals on them. I also can reccomend the Smartcarry (www.smartcarry.com) for tiems you want deep concealment. It works and as long as you keep you finger off the trigger you will not shoot off your wedding tackle.

FWIW You will need pants bigger than usual to fit the holster and gun. If you don't every holster, no matter how thin, will be painful and uncomfortable. I find 2 sizes bigger is about right, and leaves room if you overindulge during dinner.

Stay safe

orsectrain
12-11-2003, 10:24 PM
I used to carry a G-26 in a Glock Sport/Combat holster the basic plastic "cover". It was simple, and easy to drop in my front pocket.

All you had to do was sort of "Flick' it off as you drew it out. You just pushed the holster off the pistol as it was comming out. With almost no practice it was second nature.

Edie Bauer used to carry a pair of cargo pocket shorts (good for CA weather) they stopped, but Sears picked up the design. They had deep front cargo type pockets. I could slip the G-26 in the pocket, an extra mag in the other, and a folder in the same pocket as the extra mag.

I still wear the shorts, but I carry a G-17 (Belt Slide) for daily wear now, especialy in OR. Lots of liquid sunshine, and "vests" blend right in.

The squareish outline of the Glock holster distorted the print, and I went everywere in shorts, and a TUCKED in "T" shirt, or polo.

Respectfully,

Vig Creed
12-12-2003, 09:12 AM
Long ago I bought a Milt Sparks EX IWB leather holster for my Glock-19. It is comfortable and holds the gun in close.

IN ADDITION: If you order the holster made for the longer barrel Glock-17/22 (instead of for the G-26) it will fit numerous Glocks, including your G26, plus all 1911 style pistols, and many others.

creed

NTS6GUNNER
12-14-2003, 01:38 PM
I have a Glock 27, different caliber, same dimensions as the G26. I have had really good results with the Glock Belt-Slide holster, and the mag pouches. For pocket carry, I typically use an Uncle Mikes pocket holster. It is inexpensive, but more importantly, it adds virtually no bulk to the pistol. I realize you were not asking about ankle holsters, but FWIW, I have been carrying the G27 since 1999 in a Galco Ankle Glove. I love it. It is comfortable, secure, and very concealable under my BDU uniform pants. Recently, I picked up a Galco Ankle Safe. I can now carry 2 spare mags on my other ankle (no, I don't have to walk bow-legged). I like to carry the G27 on the ankle, primarily because it is a back-up to my G22. I find that pocket carry of a mini-Glock can be difficult to conceal unless the pants are cut just right. I also had good luck with the Eddie Bauer shorts. Their relaxed fit jeans and khakis work well with the Ankle Glove.

If you like leather, and don't find a regular production holster that fits your needs, I would contact Matt Del Fatti and ask about a custom holster. I recently had Matt make a holster for a K-frame S&W. I liked it so much that I ordered some other custom items from him. Matt can be reached by e-mail at delfatti@tds.net

Meksim
12-15-2003, 10:35 AM
I have the same problem - really concealable holsters for the Glock 26. Local (South Africa) tuckable IWB holsters and ankle holsters just don't make it. Americal holsters are hellishly expensive to import, so if I order it had better be right first time.

Anyone with exprerience of the Mitch Rosen Workman (Express?) and the Galco Stealth, as advertised in Glock Autopistols?

Any ideas on on a good ankle holster for a Glock 26? I always thought it was just too big for comfortable carry on the ankle.

Thank you.