PDA

View Full Version : 930 Spx

PeterG19
04-14-2010, 06:22 PM
The other day I picked up a 930 SPX Tactical. It was used,but looks in great condition. Today I finally got to the range. I loaded up 1 round into the magazine and then pulled the charging handle back and loaded the round. This occured with no problem and felt real smooth. Sighted in and pulled the trigger. It was a lite game load, #6. The round fired and extracted/ejected with no problem. The bolt locked back. I then loaded up two rounds, heavy game loads, and chambered the first round with no problem. Round fired with no problem, extracted and ejected.The next round did not chamber. It never even left the magazine at all. This occured for the next 20 minutes or so, every time. I tried buckshot, heavy game loads, lite game loads and slugs. Nothing made any difference. Gun will be going back to the shop in the AM. Anybody have any thoughts? I will post what the smith finds. Thanks,

PeterG19
04-17-2010, 07:48 AM
I had a gunsmith check it out. He was unable to figure out what the problem is so he called Mossberg. They said it sounded like a timing problem with the shell lift. The gun was sent back to Mossberg and I should get it back in about 3 weeks. we will see.

Ghostmedia
04-17-2010, 08:10 AM
Keep us posted....I have one coming in and would like to hear how your situation was resolved.

RedDevil
05-02-2010, 06:30 PM
I've been told they need to be be broken in with higher velocity slugs and or 00 buck. I've shot about 50rds through mine using 00 buck and slugs and then put about 25rds #8 shot without any problems. This is my first semi and I love it. I just wish making a shorter LOP stock was easier. I added an Elite Tactical extended bolt handle and steel safety and it's damn near perfect now.

PeterG19
05-16-2010, 07:46 PM
Well, it is now May 16th and I still have not heard from Mossberg or the gunsmith that my 930 has come back yet. When I asked him last week he said companys never call him to let him know that a gun is returning. The gun just shows up at his shop. Still waiting:confused:

PeterG19
06-16-2010, 02:20 PM
Well, I finally got my shotgun back. I picked it up On Saturday, 6/12/10. Mossberg stated that it was a "Lift gate problem". It looks like they put a new bolt in as well. I have not yet had a chance to get to the range to try it out yet. Hopefully this Friday. When I called them last week they were kind of ho hum about the whole deal until I pointed out to the two things:
1) Either your QC is so bad that you have so many guns coming back for repair that you are overwhelmed or
2) You really don't care about customer service and take the attitude of "We will get to it when we feel like it".
That got the woman on the telephones attention real quick. She offered to have her supervisor talk to me and wanted to know if there was anything that she could do for me. I told her that I just want my gun back! If I can shoot it on Friday I will let everybody know and hope we can put this thread to bed!

336Whiskey
06-16-2010, 02:42 PM
Clean it really well - get all of the factory 'oil' out of it. Then oil it with something really good like Militec-1. Run 100 rounds of full power buckshot/slugs thru it. If it functions 100% with those, then you might try reduced recoil loads. My 930 Security runs 100% with reduced recoil Win Ranger 00 buck and slugs after such a cleaning break in.

Lucky Jackson
06-17-2010, 01:06 PM
PeterG19, I hope your shotgun was properly fixed.

I started a thread in here over a year ago, concerning my 935spx.

What I would really like is some detailed dis-assembly / reassembly information on this shotgun. I have heard about the one ''plastic'' ring that needs to be removed during take down that will crack and break.

If you or anyone know a ''YouTube'' type link that shows a complete take down and detailed cleaning, please post it and PM me, please...:confused:

Thanks,
DC

PeterG19
06-21-2010, 11:34 AM
Well, I went to the range this weekend. My 12 ga ammo supply is very limited at this time. I took a box of 25 light 7 1/2 load, 15 00 buck, 4 #5 heavy game load and 5 slugs. I only had 2 failure to feed a new round into the chamber with the light loads. Everything else was fine. Very accurate with the slugs and the buckshot held to a paper plate size at 20 yards. When I got home I decided to take it apart and I just followed the manual. Was not to hard at all. I was suprised at how much oil was inside. I would have thought that coming back from Mossberg it would have be less. Anyways, cleaned it all up and lubed up the areas that the manual said with a light coat of Breakfree and put it back together again. Mag tube springs are a SOB :rolleyes: After get it together I put a couple of more buckshot down range to make sure everythuing worked and put her away. I really like this shotgun and will be going out on Thursday with her to shoot some more. Hopefully everything will be fine. I will try to put 100 rounds of buckshot and 50 of slugs through her, not all at once:dope: and if all goes well I will swap out my 870 for this for HD duty. I may put a Choate pistol grip stock on her in the future. Wife is starting to pull pretty hard on my reins because I have gone a little nuts on spending lately for my reloader that I just bought 2 months ago!

PeterG19
06-26-2010, 05:10 PM
Well, I went to the range again on Thursday. I put 50 rnds of the lite 7 1/2 loads down range, just 1 fail to lift new shell up in the first 8 rounds. I then put 15- 00 buck, 6 slugs and 10 00 buck 3 inch shells down range with no problems at all. I did them all pretty fast a really heated her up good. I fired 3 of the 6 slugs slow for accuracy and was well pleased. At 25 yards I had 2 touching, at POA and the 3rd about 1 1/2 inches to the left. I think I flinched when I touched that one off. After that I took her home and cleaned her up real well again. I have never been "into" shotguns to much but thought I ought to get a "combat" shotgun. 870 Express doesn't count:D I think I am falling in love:dope: I think one or two more times to the range like above and I will give a 3 gun match a try. I am still a little disappointed that I had to send it back and how long it took to get it back......but as long as they fixed it I am happy. It's not like it was my only gun:cool:

O'DubhGhaill
08-25-2010, 09:11 AM
I experienced that elevator problem with mine first time out. I fired about 50 slugs and some 00 buck, cleaned it, worked it with snap caps at home and all of a sudden it worked. No kidding, it happened when I worked the snap caps, noticeably too. No feeding problems ever since. Second time out I put some more slugs to sight in at 50 and 100yds, then about 40 rounds of anything old I had lying around, #6, #7, #8, low recoil 00 buck - it fed and fired it all.

I did have a bizarre problem with a thin split-ring that appeared upon my initial dissassembly and cleaning. I thought it was the "gas seal" that was depicted in the manual and so I slid it on the mag tube in front of the gas piston. Wrong! First time out the gun would not cycle anything but slugs. Upon dissassembly, I found that thin spit-ring pressed at an unnatural angle behind the gas seal that is retained behind the heavy recoil spring in the gas piston area in front of the gas port chamber. After removing the heavy spring and dissassembling in order to remove the spring, seal, and split ring, I found out that it was supposed to fit inside that gas seal, the one that is pressed behind the heavy recoil spring in the gas piston area in front of the ports. Second time out, no problems whatsoever.

Bizarre experiences, but fortunately something I was able to fix in a few hours instead of sending back to Mossberg, which I absolutely did not want to do given the delays I've read others have had, mostly with the canted sight problems I was luckily spared...