PDA

View Full Version : Sig p238

McMillan
04-04-2010, 04:20 PM
Hi all,
First i am not a big fan of the .380. But my wife is just getting into shooting and she handled one of the new sig p238's and loved it. I do not want to do anything at this point to dishearten her interest in guns. It has taken me a year and a half to get her this far. :) Anyone have any experience with this firearm? Or do any ladies or wives carry something similar? A 380 is better than nothing in my book and an armed wife is better than her leaving something bigger at home ie. (glock 26)

RatDrall
04-04-2010, 04:47 PM
I've shot one. They're snappy and hard to hold onto.

I wouldn't recommend one for a primary carry gun, there are less expensive and more practical designs, like the Ruger LCP or Kel Tec P3AT. The P238 seems like it was made for people who carry a 1911 for their primary and want a similar operating system.

catvet_1
04-04-2010, 05:02 PM
I can't comment on the 238, but I have a 232 and it shoots great. However, .380 ammo is extremely difficult to get right now. If you didn't try one, check out a P239 in 9mm. I also have one of those and what a sweet handgun.

McMillan
04-05-2010, 03:54 PM
Thanks for all of the input, I think we will end up getting a glock 26 and sending it in to cope for a grip reduction. Still doing some research

William Carter
04-05-2010, 07:09 PM
Even though slightly different, the smaller a 1911 goes the more trouble they have.

The cocked and locked design is easy to learn to shoot well, because of the short light trigger pull.

If your wife is like mine, and most women, she wants something "cute". Like you said as long as she is wanting to try a sd gun, you would be advised to get what she wants. Even though expensive the springfield emp is "pretty" and it is a more serious gun. Around 1000.

Even though not cute, I just got a compact s&w mp 9mm in compact. I hate to say it but it is MORE accurate than glock 26, and the recoil is not as snappy as a gl 26 or any of the small 380's

ranburr
04-05-2010, 07:21 PM
William Carter,

The 238, nor the earlier Colts, are defineately not 1911s.

McMillan
04-05-2010, 08:33 PM
Even though slightly different, the smaller a 1911 goes the more trouble they have.

The cocked and locked design is easy to learn to shoot well, because of the short light trigger pull.

If your wife is like mine, and most women, she wants something "cute". Like you said as long as she is wanting to try a sd gun, you would be advised to get what she wants. Even though expensive the springfield emp is "pretty" and it is a more serious gun. Around 1000.

Even though not cute, I just got a compact s&w mp 9mm in compact. I hate to say it but it is MORE accurate than glock 26, and the recoil is not as snappy as a gl 26 or any of the small 380's

One Of my customers has an M&P and we are scheduled to go fondle it soon :) i like the idea of having interchangabe backstraps for her. i will also check the emp

Gun Mutt
04-06-2010, 06:50 AM
My ex carried a Sig 230 daily. She shot it like a champ & it beat the heck out of the Glock 19 she kept in her night stand.

That said, I have never encountered a woman who did not like the all steel Kahr K9...just be sure to shoot it well through the 'break in' period.

William Carter
04-06-2010, 10:06 AM
I went through several cute guns trying to get something that my wife liked. It took her a couple of years to understand that guns are not fashion accessories, and they are only "cute" if they are reliable with hollow point ammo.

My wife, like most women has small hands, so the big gripped guns like full sized beretta and sig and not praticle. Another problem is women have a hard time pulling some slides back.

For what it's worth, my wife settled on a sig 225. They no longer make them but the 239 should be good and the make them in 2 tone.

So far for me the s&w compact 9mm has been surprisingly good. Slightly easier to conceal than xd or glock, because of the shape/size of thr grip.

Good luck, and let us know how it works out.

LawDog
04-06-2010, 02:34 PM
The P225 isn't easy to find, but there are good used guns out there. It may be easier to find a used P6 (the European version). They are great guns, but noticeably larger than a .380.

I have no experience with the P238, but I've shot the P230/232 and liked them very much. Based wholly on my own assumptions, and not having any empirical evidence to back this up, I would nonetheless boldly endorse the P230/232 over the P238. The earlier Sig was purposely designed from its inception to perform with the .380 cartridge, and was marketed primarily at the European police (plainclothes) market. The later design is a bastardized 1911 that is trying to capitalize on the current 1911 fad (yes, I just referred to a century old design as a fad) and expand it to the female CCW market. The P230/232 is a proven design. You may choose from time to time to buy a gun simply for experimentation. But if you are choosing a gun for your wife's defense, don't experiment; go with what you know works.

McMillan
04-06-2010, 07:11 PM
We are going to the range to rent some guns in 2 weeks i will post an update on her progress and maybe some pictures if i can get it to work. She told me yesterday she would be happy with a glock 26 as long as the grip was reduced and it was duracoated pink. ;/ Any progress is good at this point. I am hoping the local range has a wide variety to rent. Pictures and range report coming soon....

-McMillan

William Carter
04-06-2010, 08:08 PM
Someone suggested a steel kahr. Good call. Slim frame sweet trigger, accurate, easily concealable. They make a model that caters to women, gloss stainless slide with a rose on it. Now thats a good girls gun. Standard model was used in the brave 1 movie.

McMillan
04-10-2010, 07:53 PM
So my wife and i went back to the gun stores today for her to handle a few guns mentioned. She tried the px4 storm , kahrs, sig 232, glock 26 and several others. She picks up a xd 9mm subcompact racks the slide and looks back at me with a HUGE smile and says this is the one. She has already started bashing my glock. HA. We will be picking up a new xd next month. On the way home she tells me she wont have to shoot my bulky gun anymore because she will have her xd.
-McMillan

Gun Mutt
04-11-2010, 07:41 AM
She picks up a xd 9mm subcompact racks the slide and looks back at me with a HUGE smile and says this is the one. She has already started bashing my glock.
Lord save us from the Phillistines...:rolleyes: Just kiddin, bro. I'm glad for both of you that she tried many & found the one.

McMillan
04-18-2010, 03:59 PM
The wife and i picked up the XD today! If i can figure out how to upload the picture i will post it.
Here is a link.
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab356/McMillanPics_photos/Gun%20Stuff/IMG_1558.jpg