PDA

View Full Version : High tech finishes on guns...

SMDS141
09-28-2003, 02:40 PM
Anybody ever get one of those high tech teflon finishes put on their gun? Allegedly you no longer have to worry about oiling your gun after the break in period and was wondering what anyone here new about it. I have been in contact with the people who re-finish with Bearcoat and Cylinder & Slide, Inc.

karl johnson
09-28-2003, 08:50 PM
I had my elderly P7M8, and my CZ75 .40 refinished at http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/ using their Metacol III, which is supposed to be about the same thing. While I don't know about being able to forgo lubrication completely, the coating has been very durable and speeds cleaning. My P7 was done several years ago and shows some holster wear on the high spots, but nothing majorly noticable. My CZ, done in a tasteful black over green three years ago, had a noticable improvement in reliablity.

This company is also the official refinisher for HK-USA, which is why I sent the P7 there. So they must have faith in the process, for what that is worth.

KJ

Sgt John Newton
10-02-2003, 11:50 AM
I have a Wilson CQB .45 which I ordered with their two-tone Armor Tuff finish. After 2.5 years the thing still looks new and I shoot it ALOT. I had them re-finish a Springfield Armory .45 I own with bluing all but worn off and it now looks like a million bucks. Wilson Combat (www.wilsoncombat.com) are great people to deal with. Call Craig in Customer Service and he'll be glad to discuss options & prices.

I also have a sniper rifle out to Mark Dougan at CombatCoat in Florida. I haven't seen his product yet but have talked with people who have used it and they speak well of it. Mark has been great to deal with and I think he has some of his work in Guns magazine this month. Ex-military turned cop he's been great to deal with also. He's doing my barreled action/scope/base and rings in OD. He has something like 12 colors that he can do either in single color or in patterns of your choice. Check out www.combatcoat.com. I'll post a photo when I get it back and put the system back together.

CAUTION: DO NOT forego the cleaning and lubrication. These finishes increase lubricity and prevent galling but you absolutely want to lubricate a clean weapon. If you get sloppy on care I think the finishes make the weapon a bit more forgiving but if it could be your life or someone else's clean and lubricate. Like someone once told me, "You don't eat off of a dirty plate, and that can't kill you don't carry a dirty weapon".

John

kforbus
10-02-2003, 01:38 PM
I also have a CBQ with Wilson Finish. Mine is 4 years old now and has considerable wear on high spots. I carry mine daily and shoot it weekly. Over all the finish is great. I still clean and lubricate it after being fired.

DLS
10-04-2003, 10:26 AM
I had the slide of my daily carry piece, a stainless Colt 1911 blackened 16 years ago by Robar and it only has a very minute amount of holster wear at the muzzle. I find it and the NP3 wears much better than the Teflon finishes, of course they maybe greatly improved by now.
http://www.robarguns.com