PDA

View Full Version : Do feds get training for working undercover?

CPerez
03-17-2005, 08:18 AM
The offices for the company I work for are in the same building as the Federal District Attorney and the ATF offices. I see a lot of FBI, DEA and ATF agents walking the corridors and on the elevators and the stand out big time even co-workers that do not like guns tell me “are those SWAT guys?” just by looking at the difrent tactical brand clothing they wear mixed with their civilian clothes. This is what I see the most:

5.11 Pants
Oakly and Addidas Boots
Wilderness Belts
Clips on the Pockets
Fanny Pack clearly for carrying a gun

There is always 2 of these present. I notice this very fast because I see it in the gunrags and in the range but do BG's know how to spot this also? Are they be thought that if they are operating in civis not to where this kind of clothing?

Cheers,

Carlos

SouthNarc
03-17-2005, 08:42 AM
Feds don't get specific training for U/C work unless they are in a U/C assignment. Just because they are wearing plainclothes instead of a uniform doesn't mean they are undercover. Undercover specifically refers to representing yourself as something other than a police officer, usually to infiltrate a criminal enterprise. It may be short or long term and can range from buying drugs to playing a hit-man in a murder for hire.

They are specific schools at the state and federal level that deal with the ins and outs of U/C work. I've been to two two-week schools specifically for U/C work. The content is sensitive so I won't address the POI.

CPerez
03-17-2005, 08:59 AM
That is good to know, one of them was kind of surprised today when I asked him aboud the Addidas boots he had a hawaian style shit, jeans and a big bulge under his shirt at his right side, he got nervous while we rode the elevator after I asked hi about the boots and complained about their price. now when I go out with my wife I take a look in the mirror and ask my self if what I'm wearing screeams gun.

Thanks for the info SouthNarc.

michael
03-17-2005, 05:19 PM
Carlos,

Unfortunately, most of those guys WANT to be noticed. As SN said, uc's are totally different and if they know their stuff, you will never know who they are. One of our guys was so good that he bought dope off people that he had arrested when he was in uniform. They didn't have a clue.:cool:

Anthony
03-17-2005, 06:21 PM
CPerez,
As stated above, there is a big difference between a police officer being in civilian clothes, and one being truely 'undercover'. Cops in 'civvies' can be 'made' easily, and I often do in both the UK & Brazil.
One funny story I heard from an undercover cop in the UK, working on a drug gang, was when he went home to mum for a weekend. He had carefully taken off his clothes when arriving, and put them to one side. To his horror when it was time to dress up and leave a couple of days later, he found that his mum had washed and pressed his clothes :eek: It took him half an hour of rolling around the back yard ( in darkness ) to get them back to how they had to be.
Fortunatly when he told me this story he was no longer on that job. :)
Regards,
Anthony.

nightowl
03-17-2005, 06:57 PM
Anthony just think of it when the UC guy was a kid trying to do that he'd a been led by his ear to the bathtub by said mum. But Mom it's in my job description! :D

03-17-2005, 07:25 PM
[color=black][font=Arial]

5.11 Pants
Oakly and Addidas Boots
Wilderness Belts
Clips on the Pockets
Fanny Pack clearly for carrying a gun

There is always 2 of these present. I notice this very fast because I see it in the gunrags and in the range but do BG's know how to spot this also? Are they be thought that if they are operating in civis not to where this kind of clothing?

Cheers,

Carlos

Actually the same concept applied at the hotel in Memphis during WTSI.

Each agency has their own requirements when it comes to UC work. I have no idea why guys like that want to stand out as the goal is look like every other dirt bag out there and not be noticed. The funny thing is each agency always has it own version of what I call tactical Ted twinkie squads.

Erich
03-18-2005, 05:55 AM
This thread calls to mind an anecdote from a case I worked about a dozen years ago. The feebs were looking for a Navajo kid who was hiding out on the rez. They staked-out the kid's mother's house in Shiprock, NM (about as on-the-rez a place as exists) with a big, shiny, new black Bronco (bear in mind that on the rez most folks drive old pickups or small hatchbacks) and a couple of blond male agents.

The old lady's girlfriends were giving her grief: "Edith, who's your new boyfriends?"

Finally, the old lady went to help the kid turn himself in. She lost the FBI agents in downtown Shiprock (a town that essentially consists of two highways coming together in a T-intersection), went and got the kid, and drove him to town to turn himself in. :D

Hearing the story from the mouth of the old lady was great. She was so completely matter of fact: "So, then I lost them, and I went to pick him up?" "Wait a minute . . . you LOST the FBI?" "Yep." "In Shiprock?!" (She smiles.)

WIG19
03-18-2005, 10:53 AM
"Wait a minute . . . you LOST the FBI?" "Yep." "In Shiprock?!" (She smiles.)
Having been there (as well as Ft Defiance & Window Rock on the other side) thanks very much for that. ROFLMAO!!
Good for her. :D

Erich
03-18-2005, 11:54 AM
I'm glad someone else appreciated it - thanks for telling me. Of course, to have heard the story in the local dialect made it even better . . . . :D

pete f
03-19-2005, 11:28 PM
My daughter works at a sports bar and after a small skirmish broke out over the results of a game, she remembered seeing some cops come in for dinner so she ran to their table and asked" we have a problem, can you cops come help?" All three stiffened and one asked "what makes you think we are cops?" she said "guns, badges on belt and the Crown Vic you drove up in has "police" for a license plate. They got up and helped.

Cold War Scout
03-20-2005, 04:47 AM
I have seen many, many undercover federal agents who were so good that the bad guys never knew what hit them. There is a grand difference between wearing street clothes and actually being undercover. Hell I even pulled off an undercover op once because it is the role you are playing that matters.