PDA

View Full Version : Open carry deters armed robbery in Kennesaw

Cold War Scout
03-19-2010, 08:06 AM
Came across this on Facebook:

Open carry deters armed robbery in Kennesaw

February 18, 9:12 AMhttp://image.examiner.com/img/greydot.gifAtlanta Gun Rights Examiner (http://www.examiner.com/x-5619-Atlanta-Gun-Rights-Examiner)http://image.examiner.com/img/greydot.gifEd Stone

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs261.ash1/18849_1185449396279_1229598368_30424497_6028321_n. jpg
Lynn, Matt and J.P.'s regular waitress at the Wafflehouse, proudly displays a Guns Save Lives button

Two customers displaying holstered pistols deterred an armed robbery in a Kennesaw Wafflehouse recently.

There is some debate raging in Georgia about whether people should conceal their holstered handguns while in public. Some believe that wearing handguns openly will result in a loss of the element of surprise during a criminal attack, such as an armed robbery, while others believe that wearing handguns openly deters criminal attack. For Matt Brannan and J.P. Mitchell, who carry openly as a routine, the issue is no longer academic.

Matt Brannan and J.P. Mitchell were dining in the Wafflehouse on Barrett Parkway at I-575 in Kennesaw at 4:45 in the morning recently when a scout for an armed robbery crew entered the restaurant to case it. At the time, Matt and J.P. thought he looked a little suspicious, as he was wandering around the small restaurant like he was looking for someone. Unknown to Matt and J.P., two cars full of armed robbers were parked behind the restaurant waiting for the scout's report.

The scout saw that two of the customers were wearing holstered 1911 Springfield Mil-Spec .45 pistols, and he immediately turned and left the store.

Meanwhile, conscientious Cobb County Police Officer D. Lowe had noticed suspicious cars sitting behind the restaurant in the dark and decided to investigate. He caught men with masks and rifles who had been preparing to rob the Wafflehouse. The criminals informed the police that they had changed their mind upon discovering armed customers and were waiting for Matt and J.P. to leave. Ironically, the police car was pulling in to the parking lot just as Matt and J.P. were driving away. In other words, had Matt and J.P. not been armed, the robbery probably would have occurred before the police intervened.

Captain Jerry Quan, the Commander for Precinct One, where the Wafflehouse is located, confirmed Matt Brannan's story as one in which the open display of a pistol deterred a well armed robbery crew.

Matt Brannan is making an Open Records Act request, and there will be an update to this story when more information is available. The case number is 09-133500. There will be updates and follow up articles as more information becomes available.

Al Lipscomb
03-19-2010, 08:21 AM
While this story is making the rounds on just about all of the gun boards, I cannot find anything external to confirm it. The case number sited turns up nothing.

Can anyone find anything more on this?

KenRH
03-19-2010, 08:31 AM
Hear interview at Armed American Radio: AAR Broadcast 2-21-2010 Hour 2

This link may work for site:
http://armedamericanradio.org/2010/02/aar-broadcast-2-21-2010-hour-2/

Ken

fldback
03-19-2010, 08:41 AM
Waffle House? Really? Who the heck robs a Waffle House?

If we ever needed additional evidence that drugs kill brain cells this would be it!

Cold War Scout
03-19-2010, 08:47 AM

If we ever needed additional evidence that drugs kill brain cells this would be it!

That's one place you will never find me at 4 o'clock in the morning.

MEW1971
03-19-2010, 08:59 AM
I have a good friend who lives in Kennesaw and I thought it was kind of neat that I know EXACTLY where this Waffle House is because I use it as a landmark to get to his house when I visit. However, my excitement faded a bit when I read Al's comment about no external confirmation. I'll at least ask my friend, see if the locals have heard anything about it.

Al Lipscomb
03-19-2010, 09:03 AM
An arrest with two cars full of armed men should have generated something. And please don't take this as anything other than wanting to make sure the facts are correct.

MEW1971
03-19-2010, 09:11 AM
An arrest with two cars full of armed men should have generated something. And please don't take this as anything other than wanting to make sure the facts are correct.

I took it entirely at face value, and I appreciate the comment about external confirmation. Often times when I receive a forwarded email about something that is supposedly true, my first response is typically to check snopes or a similar website in an effort to determine if it really is true or not...so I'm right there with you.

Cold War Scout
03-19-2010, 09:16 AM
My antennae are up also.

Personally I would not open carry unless it were the only way I could carry. And this story does not change my view on the matter. However, news does not have to comport with my view of the world in order for me to table it for discussion.

Armored car guards carry firearms but that doesn't always punk out would be robbers. Sometimes their response is to simply ventilate the guards without saying a word. Concealed allows me a greater likelihood of:

1) the element of surprise, and

2) the adversaries making incorrect operating assumptions about their level of danger.

MEW1971
03-19-2010, 09:30 AM
I have a good friend who lives in Kennesaw and I thought it was kind of neat that I know EXACTLY where this Waffle House is because I use it as a landmark to get to his house when I visit. However, my excitement faded a bit when I read Al's comment about no external confirmation. I'll at least ask my friend, see if the locals have heard anything about it.

Just got a text message back from my buddy, he's just a couple miles north of that intersection and had heard nothing about it until I asked him. Still not conclusive, but perhaps a good indicator.

smince
03-19-2010, 09:40 AM
Who the heck robs a Waffle House?That didn't bother me as much as this:
...two cars full of armed robbers were parked behind the restaurant waiting for the scout's report.Who would use a crew this size to rob a Waffle House?

Anthony
03-19-2010, 09:41 AM
Armored car guards carry firearms but that doesn't always punk out would be robbers. Sometimes their response is to simply ventilate the guards without saying a word.Likewise with uniformed cops, as we unfortunately saw recently in Washington state.

But some people have to wear uniforms, and so they should of course be that extra bit more alert.

Here, when carrying a bag of cash on leaving the armored truck, or returning to it, the armed guards very often have their guns in their hands, pointed at the floor.

Doesn't always save them either, but that goes with the job of course, - robbery attempts. ;)

Regards,
Anthony.

Rick Klopp
03-19-2010, 09:56 AM
Concealed allows me a greater likelihood of:

1) the element of surprise, and

2) the adversaries making incorrect operating assumptions about their level of danger.

Couldn't agree more. My daughter will be attending Kennesaw State Univ this fall and she will need all the help she can get (and that doesn't mean letting anyone know what she has available to help her in advance, - really stupid, IMHO).

Whether the incident is true or not, let it sink in. If these perps were really intent on robbing a Waffle House, the scouts report could have jeopardized our carry guys lives if they weren't as vigilant as it appears they were.

Sir Moose
03-19-2010, 10:20 AM
Here's the only thing that appears to be from news media:

http://www.examiner.com/x-5619-Atlanta-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2010m2d18-Open-carry-deters-armed-robbery-in-Kennesaw

And then they followed it up with this:
http://ww.examiner.com/x-5619-Atlanta-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2010m2d26-Why-you-should-not-carry-a-weapon-into-the-Kennesaw-Mountain-visitor-center

Partway down it states:

UPDATE: Cobb County rejected two Open Records Act requests pertaining to the armed robbery attempt at the Wafflehouse in Kennesaw (http://www.examiner.com/x-5619-Atlanta-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2010m2d18-Open-carry-deters-armed-robbery-in-Kennesaw). Matt and J.P. have been on two radio shows since the article was published. Further details will be published once the official report is made public.

swwifty
03-19-2010, 10:22 AM
I have no doubts that this incident is true, since it occurred in the Atlanta area.

1. I would venture to say that 50% or more of crimes committed in the Atlanta region never get reported on the news. My mom had a home invasion in her neighborhood where the bad guys fired a gun at the home owners, and it wasn't even on the news!

2. The news is very anti-gun in Atlanta, and anything that makes carrying a gun look like a good idea will never land in the news.

3. Criminals in Atlanta are retarded. They would attempt to rob a Waffle House at 4AM, despite it probably having zero money. That doesn't surprise me.

Francisp
03-19-2010, 10:25 AM

In Nassau County, New York in the early 80's a group from Brownsville in Brooklyn came out and robbed a dinner. They tourtured the patrons in all sorts of horrible ways. Made people have sex in front of them etc. I know in New York Robbing Dinners and populated bars was fairly common 20 years ago.

Francisp
03-19-2010, 10:26 AM
Likewise with uniformed cops, as we unfortunately saw recently in Washington state.

But some people have to wear uniforms, and so they should of course be that extra bit more alert.

Here, when carrying a bag of cash on leaving the armored truck, or returning to it, the armed guards very often have their guns in their hands, pointed at the floor.

Doesn't always save them either, but that goes with the job of course, - robbery attempts. ;)

Regards,
Anthony.

Believe it or not, in NYC of all places thats what they do. I see them doing cash deliveries with their .38's out in a low ready.

Cartouche
03-19-2010, 11:45 AM
Waffle House is a cash only operation, they even pay the employees in cash on payday. A friend of mine does about 15 stores all the A/C and refrig work matience. He said they have alot of cash on hand before deposits if it is a popular location.
I know of one location here in Fl panhandle that has a sign up behind the counter about 10x10 in size, kinda lost in all the other plaques up there, so you have to really look for it, but it reads, No firearms allowed in this establishment, blah,blah, etc,etc, this is the only one I have seen this in. Having seen this one I always look when I go to one. Waffle House is not a franchise type operation, one owner so to speak. I wonder if all WH's are gun free zones or just the one here?

smince
03-19-2010, 11:49 AM
I know of one location here in Fl panhandle that has a sign up behind the counter about 10x10 in size, kinda lost in all the other plaques up there, so you have to really look for it, but it reads, No firearms allowed in this establishment, blah,blah, etc,etc, this is the only one I have seen this in.I can personally tell you the WH in Ft. Payne, Alabama had the same sign last time I was there.

austin
03-19-2010, 11:49 AM

On TX CHL Forum, about three years ago, a LEO was eating in one while off duty when it was taken over by a team of robbers. The LEO did nothing except be a good witness.

Wyatt Earp
03-19-2010, 04:20 PM
Waffle House is a cash only operation, they even pay the employees in cash on payday. A friend of mine does about 15 stores all the A/C and refrig work matience. He said they have alot of cash on hand before deposits if it is a popular location.
I know of one location here in Fl panhandle that has a sign up behind the counter about 10x10 in size, kinda lost in all the other plaques up there, so you have to really look for it, but it reads, No firearms allowed in this establishment, blah,blah, etc,etc, this is the only one I have seen this in. Having seen this one I always look when I go to one. Waffle House is not a franchise type operation, one owner so to speak. I wonder if all WH's are gun free zones or just the one here?
No anti-gun signs in any Waffle House I have visited in western Ohio and eastern Indiana.