PDA

View Full Version : 1911 malfunctions and sear/trigger damage

EvilSpec556
03-11-2010, 07:54 PM
I have read on other internet forums that dropping a slide on a empty chamber on a 1911 damages the sear and trigger job. Is this true? If so how do you guys do double feed malfunction drills without damaging the trigger/sear? I am new to the 1911 platform and don't know if I am just falling for the internet/gun shop rumors or not. :confused:

jpd202
03-11-2010, 08:47 PM
Check out Hilton Yam's articles on 1911's at www.10-8Performance.com (http://www.10-8Performance.com). There's some really good info on handling the 1911, info on why you shouldn't drop the slide on an empty chamber or handfeed a round directly into the chamber. Lots of good info in those articles on parts maint. and times to replace parts as well as choosing a 1911 for duty. What Hilton writes is in agreement with pretty much every 1911 authority says, as far as the research I've done. Hope this helps!

Silver Bullet
03-12-2010, 06:47 AM
No, it's true! (When possible, hold the trigger to the rear whenever you drop the slide on an empty chamber.)

barnetmill
03-13-2010, 09:04 AM
No, it's true! (When possible, hold the trigger to the rear whenever you drop the slide on an empty chamber.) If this is the case, why not gently lower the slide. There is no reason to allow it to slam forward unrestrained.

barnetmill
03-13-2010, 09:09 AM
I have read on other internet forums that dropping a slide on a empty chamber on a 1911 damages the sear and trigger job. Is this true? If so how do you guys do double feed malfunction drills without damaging the trigger/sear? I am new to the 1911 platform and don't know if I am just falling for the internet/gun shop rumors or not. :confused:
I have never had a double feed malfunction with a 1911 even with loose extractors. might happen on a 9mm or .38 super conversion if the ejector is not changed out It is usually stove pipe failure to feed and that does not happen with decent magazines and FMJ.
Has anyone here had a double feed with the 1911 and mil spec ammo?

Silver Bullet
03-14-2010, 07:05 AM
If this is the case, why not gently lower the slide. There is no reason to allow it to slam forward unrestrained.

Sure, you and I realize that; but what about your typical gunshop salesperson/commando? :rolleyes:

KMDO
03-15-2010, 06:34 AM
I have never had a double feed malfunction with a 1911 even with loose extractors. might happen on a 9mm or .38 super conversion if the ejector is not changed out It is usually stove pipe failure to feed and that does not happen with decent magazines and FMJ.

Neither myself or the six friends I associate with that own 1911s have ever had a double feed to my knowledge.

garrettwc
03-15-2010, 09:28 AM
Yes. Extractor failed; empty cartridge in chamber, second round wedged in tight behind it. Was a total b**** to clear, and served as a good training point for why a BUG is necessary.

M1A's r Best
03-15-2010, 10:09 AM
What's the chance that the problem occurs on guns with aftermarket parts and/or custom trigger jobs?

I mean, remember who designed this pistol and who the intended users were. GI's can tear up rocks, no matter how much training they get.

I have never bought anything but Colts. They range from a 1911 made in 1917 to a Series 80 bought a few years ago. I can't tell you how many times I've dropped the slide on an empty chamber over the years on everyone of mine (actually, I haven't shot the 1911 in probably 25 years but before that it was shot fairly often and show to my buddies in between) and nothing has broken yet.

With my luck the next time one will break but up to now, no issues on GI type guns. You know, for that matter, we did it in the Army. Anytime we cleaned 'em or used 'em we dropped the slide on an empty chamber.

I don't do it 10 times every time I clean it, use it, but I've sure done it a lot. I wonder what the GI manuals on 1911/1911A1's say? I'll have to look one up and see.

garrettwc
03-15-2010, 01:19 PM
What's the chance that the problem occurs on guns with aftermarket parts and/or custom trigger jobs?

The issue referenced by the OP occurs in both production and customized guns. The damage can be more severe on one with a custom trigger job because the hammer and sear engagement geometry is less than that on a GI gun. What basically happens is that the slide "hammers" the disconnecter instead of "riding" over it under the control of feeding. This in turn knocks the sear into the hammer hooks. It also has been know to damage the barrel feet because they are coming forward with greater velocity.

Doing it a few times to verify function isn't a bad thing. But doing it repeatedly will batter the small parts and lead to hammer follow or failure of the barrel feet.

Short answer is it's just abusive to the gun. Same as putting a round in the chamber and letting the slide close instead of feeding it from the magazine.

M1A's r Best
03-15-2010, 05:27 PM
This is the first bit of info I ran across in this copy of FM 23-35

http://www.sightm1911.com/manual/manual.htm

Page 11. section 4.b If it is desired to make the pistol ready for instant use and for firing the maximum number of shots with the least possible delay, draw back the slide, insert a cartridge by hand into the chamber of the barrel, allow the slide to close, then lock the slide and cocked hammer by pressing the safety lock upward and insert a loaded magazine.

I copied this one over since I know I've read several times in several places that this practice will tear up the extractor or damage its adjustment or otherwise cause problems. Evidently they didn't feel that way when this manual was written in 1940, after over 20 years of military use.

Page 19. section n. Safety devices should be frequently tested. A safety device is a dangerous device if it does not work when expected.

Page 20. section d. Disconnector - cock the hammer......Pull the slide all the way to the rear and engage the slide stop. Squeeze the trigger and at the same time release the slide. The hammer should not fall. Release the pressure on the trigger and then squeeze it. The hammer should then fall.

Page 22 is into the description of the manual of arms for use of the pistol and describes presenting it for inspection. Again it directs the slide to first be locked to the rear, after removing the magazine, to inspect the chamber and then using the slide release to allow the slide to move forward.

I'm still reading it so this is it for now. Maybe in the newer manuals the Army changed its tune, I don't know. This is the first one I ran across. Maybe its bad for the pistol and they didn't care because they had unlimited spare parts, but then again, they are testing the disconnector to insure it works properly in one of the examples.

As with anything. Look enough and there will usually be disagreeing advice on a subject.

Have a good one.