PDA

View Full Version : Threading a MAK-90 Barrel

LordPhoenix
03-05-2010, 02:09 PM
What would be a reasonable price for a gunsmith threading the barrel on my MAK-90? What all would need to be done other than threading and what should I expect the final price to be (roughly)?

Thanks.

Jakob1944
03-06-2010, 12:32 AM
I read on another forum where you can rent the die and handle for a fee plus deposit......I can't remember which forum.......

LordPhoenix
03-06-2010, 03:00 AM
Then what would I need to do to make everything work? Would I need to replace the front sight post to have one with a spring for the detent?

BearMBD
03-06-2010, 03:52 AM
or on the cheap use a crush washer, like i did. in stead of a new fsb

barnetmill
03-06-2010, 06:10 AM
I borrowed the die from a fellow club member. If you have no experience then you maybe should get a friend to do it or go to a gunsmith. It is not hard, but you do need to know how to use the die. You need to use cutting oil. It is confusing since the thread is backwards on the AK47 IIRC. Perhaps it is meant to be backwards in relation to the rifling. I have not yet done anything except loctite so far, but I suspect it will start to loosen up and then i will have to use some sort of washer or some other measure.
I am trying to come up with a way to attach a bayonet because my lug was removed. I am thinking of a shortened SKS folding spike bayonet.

Rowdy Yates
03-06-2010, 06:21 AM
http://www.dinzagarms.com/index.html

This outfit rents dies for re-threading barrels..

paranoid
03-06-2010, 06:34 AM
Or you could do what I did and send it to Rifle Dynamics to be Fullerized!
I just got my MAK90 back yesterday and I couldn't be more pleased!

paranoid
03-06-2010, 06:40 AM
I got new K-var furniture
Ultimak rail
G-2 trigger group
Krebs retaining plate
Threaded barrel and flash hider
Refinished with gray Molly Resin

EDELWEISS
03-06-2010, 07:37 AM
Can I suggest you might not want to thread it. I too have a MAC90. Mine is milled. I was gonna pimp it. Then I realized it was just like the original AK and I couldn't bring myself to do it.

BigEd63
03-06-2010, 09:31 AM
You will need the following basic tools: A M14x1.0 LH Threading die with an adjustable tension screw, a Threading Tat and a Die Wrench for your die. Other items Cutting Oil (3-N-1 works fine as a substitute), High Temp Thread Locker, 1" Soft Bristle Paint Brush, some type of Degreaser and a padded jaw vise or one with a barrel clamp for your rifle.

I've never had trouble threading the 2 MAK-90's and MAK-91 I own using the above.

And yes keep in mind of your 922r parts count if you do so.

MAK2263
03-06-2010, 09:44 AM
http://www.dinzagarms.com/index.html

This outfit rents dies for re-threading barrels..

This is the kit that I rented to thread 2 MAK90 barrels.Make sure that you don't rush the threading.I cut it 5 times,with a little more pressure on the tap with each pass.The whole operation took maybe 15 minutes and worked perfectly both times.

MattCFII
03-06-2010, 09:51 AM
This is the kit that I rented to thread 2 MAK90 barrels.Make sure that you don't rush the threading.I cut it 5 times,with a little more pressure on the tap with each pass.The whole operation took maybe 15 minutes and worked perfectly both times.

Not so much for me on my Dinzag rental, I turned off my first 2 or so threads not keeping enough pressure on it (from going too slow), so I took it in to be threaded for $70.

EDIT- Picture in this thread:
http://warriortalk.com/showthread.php?t=38858&highlight=thread

barnetmill
03-06-2010, 11:16 AM
Consider:

-When you assemble the rifle in other than the original "sporting" configuration, you may run afoul of the 18 USC 922r "US Parts Count" law.

-Many MAK90 rifles had their threads turned off already, so they can't easily be rethreaded to 14-1LH. Ideally you need a .545" OD on the barrel to thread 14-1LH, if it's already been turned down way below that you should be able to thread AR-size 1/2-28.
On mine which had been I think had been ground off and you could still see remnants of the thread. There was still enough metal to get it threaded.

BS1988
03-06-2010, 05:21 PM
mine charged me $45 for a chop and recrown on my SKS and quoted me 60-70 depinding on if he hit any snags for a chop and rethread on an AR assuming i brought him just the barrel.

He uses a lathe and did a very good job so i'd probably pay it if i had the cash.