PDA

View Full Version : Israeli Krav Maga training.

AmericanWarrior
03-11-2005, 12:24 PM
Israeli commando training (http://koti.mbnet.fi/jani_r/Videos/isarelian%20commando%20combat%20training.wmv)

Jerry68
03-18-2005, 08:02 AM
Cool video. Very flashy. The guy that I assume was the instructor (bald) is obviously a super megaforce badass, as he doesn't even need to keep his hands up when he is fighting<sarcasm>. I spent 2 years in Isreal in the late 80's and have a tremendous amout of respect for them, but I have also come to realize that just because it is called "Isreali" doesn't mean it is 100% effective... for example, the whole Isreali carry thing (loaded magazine in gun, but no round in the chamber)...

tmanifold
03-18-2005, 02:38 PM
I don't know...good hard training I think. Not perfect. Those high kicks should go. His weapons disarms were better then the KM guys like Levine. There are better guys out there but there are a lot worse as well.

BWayne
03-18-2005, 02:56 PM
The bald headed man is Itay Gil, a former member of Israel's counterterrorist unit. He wrote a book called "The Citizen's Guide to Stopping Suicide Attackers". Here is the rest of his info from Paladin Press' website:

Itay Gil spent his compulsory military service in Israelís paratrooper reconnaissance company, serving in the 1982 Lebanon War. He then joined the elite counterterrorist unit Yamam and took part in hundreds of hostage-rescue and interdiction missions. He later became Yamamís chief close-quarter combat instructor.

Gil continues to serve in the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) reserves as senior combat instructor for the undercover counterterrorism unit 217 (Sayeret Duvdevan). In 2002, he formed a special security team for the Israeli Ministry of Defense.

The founder and chief executive officer of Protect, a Jerusalem-based security training firm, Gil has demonstrated his methods for dealing with suicide bombers on CNN, Fox and Israeli media.

unstpabl1
03-18-2005, 06:56 PM
I've always had the thought when hearing about krav "why would the Israelis',a people surrounded by enemies under constant attack sell their state of the art self defense system"?No way,no how!Krav to me seems like basic combatives,some scenerio training,add assertiveness training & get fit.Its a good solid basic combatives class.One thing it has going for it ,is that the women who train at the ntc are hot.
mike schoenfeld

Coops
03-20-2005, 01:46 PM
There is a school of thought which would suggest that KM derived from Fairbairn & Sykes instruction and was taken back to Israel at the end of WWII. I have heard the 'official' version of KM history, but think there is a missing link to the story.

I know of one British army instructor who ended up in Palestine, shortly after the war, serving as a senior LEO. He was one of the 'original 12' close combat instructors from 1942.

Oh, the video footage: some good stuff, some total crap. It's just an advert.

Coops

michael
03-20-2005, 04:29 PM
I would be interested to know if there are any ties to FAS also. I would not be surprised, though I've never read that there are. Having trained in it for a couple of years, I can certainly see similarities in some of it.

Agree with Coops on the video. Some of it is good, some is garbage, but it does look cool.:D

neofite
04-01-2005, 02:25 PM
Not a MA question but does anyone recognize the soundtrack/background music.I know it's Mission Impossible but there are at least 64 versions of the soundtrack.OK....breaks over,back to the mats...

RES
04-01-2005, 04:31 PM
Not a MA question but does anyone recognize the soundtrack/background music.I know it's Mission Impossible but there are at least 64 versions of the soundtrack.OK....breaks over,back to the mats...

The first M:I movie (with Tom Cruise).

neofite
04-02-2005, 05:51 AM
Roundeyesamurai,thanks for the info.I found it.It's a version by Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen.

Coops
04-04-2005, 01:46 PM
I would be interested to know if there are any ties to FAS also. I would not be surprised, though I've never read that there are. Having trained in it for a couple of years, I can certainly see similarities in some of it.

Agree with Coops on the video. Some of it is good, some is garbage, but it does look cool.:D

Thanks Michael. I have made some in deapth enquiries with people in the UK and Australian KM world and the main concnsensus is that there is a FAM source to KM

Martin

michael
04-04-2005, 03:13 PM
Thanks Michael. I have made some in deapth enquiries with people in the UK and Australian KM world and the main concnsensus is that there is a FAM source to KM

Martin

Thanks for the update. I'm really not surprised as there are many similarities.

Good to hear from you again, I was beginning to wonder if Mrs. Coops had been practicing on you again! :D

Coops
04-05-2005, 01:56 PM
Good to hear from you again, I was beginning to wonder if Mrs. Coops had been practicing on you again! :D

Thanks Michael. I'm working my last few weeks prior to retirement, but the pressure seems to have been turned up for some reason. I'm in the first week of our Close Protection Officers (bodyguard) course and I have direct input each day of the first two weeks for several hours at a time. God I'm starting to creak a lot. This is definitely a young mans job. As things ease off we get into walking drills and vehicle drills, so it's not so intense then, but thats over the next couple of weeks. Even then, they start dragging me from one car to the next and racing off to the sound of gunfire. It's great to be a 48 yr old kid :)

I've not had the time to post 'cos when I get in I'm busy with lesson planning for the next day.

Anyway, Mrs Cooper practices on me EVERY day. Sorry, I was fanticising there :) She certainly slaps me often. Where do you think I learnt from :~)

michael
04-06-2005, 06:51 AM
Glad to here you're doing well. Sounds like a lot of great training. Hang in there for a little longer, you're almost there! ;)

agoth
04-06-2005, 01:07 PM
Did not see very much of KM in the video. The disarming techniques are not like the one I know from practicing KM.

KAPAP is a big part of IDF and Israeli Police Force combat training. I don't know much of KAPAP, but maybe someone else here does?

/Andreas