PDA

View Full Version : Wanting a New Duty Light.

HKinPA
03-08-2005, 06:48 PM
I currently carry a Surefire 8NX rechargeable light on my duty belt and was happy with it until the batteries stopped holding a charge. Surefire was nice enough to replace one of them, but even that one didnt last long. After some research on some flashlight related forums, I learned that the B90 batteries used in the 8AX/NX lights all seem to have issues with maintaining a sufficient charge.

Does anyone have suggestions on a new duty belt light with similar brightness? I'm still leaning towards something rechargeable, but I know the CR123 batteries used in most other quality lights can be found cheaply on the 'net. BTW, I"m not looking to spend over $200 for the very cool, but expensive "Night-ops Gladius" like I saw on the Blackhawk site. Maybe the new INOVA Tseries? At this point I'm open to all affordable suggestions. Thanks.

TroopSarge
03-09-2005, 12:31 AM
I just started carrying the Strion on my duty belt, to replace my Scorpion. The Strion is rechargeable, and puts out 12,000 candlepower. So far I love the Strion....and I also carry a rechargeable UltraStinger and rechargeable Maglight in my war bag...

TroopSarge

Jim Linch
03-09-2005, 01:11 AM
I like the G2 because it fits with my manual of arms (http://www.concealedcarry.info/forum/index.php?showtopic=53). I want something small on the belt and a baton (we use the SL-20X) for my primary.

You can get batteries for $1.50-$2.00 on the net and unless you are using it as a primary, they will last for a long time.

Curious, what makes you want a "mid" size light anyway?

HKinPA
03-09-2005, 05:28 AM
Thanks for the suggestions so far, I just found the Strion in a catalog last night, looks promising. I am issued a SL-20X too, but I"m not always lugging that thing around at work but its in my patrol bag.

As for a mid size light, no reason for that size choice. I think I just stuck with that size after buying a Stinger a few years ago.

Jim Linch
03-09-2005, 06:38 AM
Gotcha HK,
I just assumed everyone wanted to lug the "baton/light". :)

gdw042
03-09-2005, 01:18 PM
FWIW:
I carry a Sure Fire 6Z (2 battery Combatlight) on my belt. I work Swing Shift (1500-0100) so I use a light a lot.

In the car, we have chargers for the Streamlight Stinger line of lights, and I have an UltraStinger (rechargable) that I keep in said charger. All cars are issued Stingers and most of the folks I work with keep Stingers on their belts, but I found I don;t personally like them all that much. I had a Sure Fire 7Z (3-cell rechargable combatlight that they don't make anymore) for a while, but ran into teh same problems with battery life. I like the fact that my 6Z is not rechargable, and I don;t have to wonder if it's charged or not.

Both lights last about an hour and I've run them both down a few times. I carry one of the Sure Fire "Spares Carriers" in my war bag, Holds 6 batteries and a spare bulb. I also carry a few spare bulbs for the UltraStinger.

For most everything, car stops, any call I have a bit of warning, etc... It's second nature to grab the Ultrastinger as I get out of the car. It's just heavy enough to use as an emergency impact weapon, but small enough to not be in the way when I put it in the ring on my belt.

The Sure Fire is there for emergencies. I should have saved the money and just used my 6P, as I don't use the spiffy Sure Fire flashlight technique, but I got it from another officer for a good price, so... I also used it to good effect in a dark crawlspace when I was on day shift.

I end up changing batteries on it about once a month. I buy them direct from Sure Fire at $15 per 12.

And, for dire emergencies, I have my trusty 3-cell Maglight in my warbag. I'm getting older, and it just weighs too much for me to want to put it on my belt. :o

I got both my dad and father-in-law G2's for presents and they love them. For the price, they're hard to beat.
GDW

pete f
03-10-2005, 09:42 PM
I have been using the streamlight NF2 cost me about 40 bucks and I buy batteries here at the battery station, I have been paying about 90 cents per, I am a contractor and do a lot of inspections and bids lately and the more I do, the more I must admit my collection of Maglights are just paperwieghts until some one comes up with a good affordable LED mod for them. I just ordered a LED M6 pelican for 54 bucks and will wait to see how good that one looks before I back it, but they are talking 4 hours of light or maybe more. with a bulb that rates way over 50000 hours use,

michael
03-11-2005, 06:47 AM
I carry a Streamlight TL-2 daily and love it. Very lightweight and robust, fits next to my wallet in my back pocket, Gall's has it for 44.00, and it is 100 lumens.

03-11-2005, 06:51 PM
I agree with Michael and I second the TL2.
My primary car flashlight is a SL20 however I have still have a battery powered maglight in my trunk for times of extended flashlight use.

HKinPA
03-12-2005, 04:42 AM
Just got my new free replacement battery from Surefire. It's charged up and I will be doing some voltage testing to compare my original battery, and this one when I get to work on monday. I "commandeered" a Strion from our rookie on our last night shift. It was darn bright. And yes I did give it back eventually. I think I"m narrowing my choices and going back to Streamlight if this new battery goes to sh*t like the others.

banzai7
06-05-2005, 07:30 PM
I got a Strion about a month ago. I love this light. Reliable, cheap, rechargable, bright, lite, and comes with a spare bulb. What's not to like ?

pete f
06-08-2005, 08:57 PM
At risk of being flamed here. I will step out and say that I have not found one reason to by a surefire over a streamlight, especially in the small personal/edc light. There are a couple of SF's that have some nice features, but comparing similar to similar, streamlights cost much less, have bulbs to replace for a third of the cost of SF lamp assemblies, seem to put more light on target, and seems to have similar quality of construction. Just my two cents.

jack76590
06-13-2005, 07:32 PM
Hard to beat surefire direct for batteries. And their G2 light is hard to beat for the price.

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/pgrfnbr/16/sesent/00

I also like steamlight twin task for general use. Link to dealer of full streamlight line, which I have found to have good prices and be good to deal with.

http://www.streamlight-flashlights.com/

98 Joes
06-14-2005, 12:22 PM
I have both a Surefire G2 and a 6P and they hard to beat for the prices. I installed the 120 lumens bulb/reflector in the 6P and it does make a blinding white light. Down side is 20 minute battery life.

For general purpose, I also have a 4D Maglite with one of the newer Xenon bulbs. The package says it produces 60 lumens for 17 hours on alkaline batteries. It is noticeably brighter than the standard bulb. But that things gets heavy after awhile if you have to carry it for hours.