PDA

View Full Version : Does the XDM have a shorter trigger reset then the XD?

Ike
02-08-2010, 07:48 PM
I shot today a regular XD 9mm and I was having problems short stroking the trigger. But this weekend I handled a XDM and the trigger reset felt a lot shorter and the trigger felt a lot smoother, does anybody have any idea if it is a better trigger with the XDM?

Of course being a Glock guy it was a completely different feel with the XD and I am sorry to say that I prefer the Glock unless I get to shoot the XDM and it feels better then the XD.

The reason I am looking at the XD is because the sub Compact carries 14 rounds in a flush fitting mag and the gun is as small as the Glock 26, the new XDM 3.8 is the size of a Glock 19 and carries 20 rounds, if I would switch to a 9mm I rather have as much on board as I can have and the XD has more then the Glock.

NoBucks
02-08-2010, 09:53 PM
I believe so. I haven't fired the XD, but the XDM feels the closest to a single action trigger that I've felt on a DA only pistol. I thnk that the XDM trigger is one of the upgrades that they did differently from the plain Jane XD.

This is from the Springfield Armory website on the XDM:

The new XD(M)™ trigger has the shortest travel than any currently available polymer pistol along with a similarly short reset which keeps you on target with greater ease for faster, more accurate follow-up shots.

reb777
02-09-2010, 06:39 AM
I've got a Springer Precision sear/spring/trigger-bar kit that does wonders for both of my XD's. It's no 1911 trigger, but it's very workable. As good, if not better than the XDm, in my opinion.

Springer says "it reduces the travel by about 50% and the pull by about 25%", which sounds about right to me.

wpwarren
02-09-2010, 08:44 AM
I believe so. I haven't fired the XD, but the XDM feels the closest to a single action trigger that I've felt on a DA only pistol. I thnk that the XDM trigger is one of the upgrades that they did differently from the plain Jane XD.

This is from the Springfield Armory website on the XDM:

I am not sure about the XDM but the XD is single action only. I think the XD does seem to have a relatively long reset but I never had a hard time getting shots off quick with mine though. I think you get used to whatever you practice with.

PT Doc
02-09-2010, 01:25 PM
I have the Springer kit, and also a couple XD's that were sent to Springer himself for the custom trigger. I would gauge the drop-in kit to be a "significant" improvement over stock, and the true custom trigger job by Scott Springer to be "dramatically better".

What he said.

NoBucks
02-09-2010, 01:48 PM
I am not sure about the XDM but the XD is single action only. I think the XD does seem to have a relatively long reset but I never had a hard time getting shots off quick with mine though. I think you get used to whatever you practice with.

Technically, I guess you're right, they are both single action, in that the trigger doesn't cock the mechanism, but I think they were designed to function somewhere in between, like an SA with a long trigger pull.

What I meant to say, is that the XDM feels to me the closest to the pull on my old 1911 that I used to have.

grimel
02-09-2010, 09:28 PM
I shot today a regular XD 9mm and I was having problems short stroking the trigger. But this weekend I handled a XDM and the trigger reset felt a lot shorter and the trigger felt a lot smoother, does anybody have any idea if it is a better trigger with the XDM?

Of course being a Glock guy it was a completely different feel with the XD and I am sorry to say that I prefer the Glock unless I get to shoot the XDM and it feels better then the XD.

The reason I am looking at the XD is because the sub Compact carries 14 rounds in a flush fitting mag and the gun is as small as the Glock 26, the new XDM 3.8 is the size of a Glock 19 and carries 20 rounds, if I would switch to a 9mm I rather have as much on board as I can have and the XD has more then the Glock.

You can buy the XD carry it with the 13rd flush fit and carry 18rd Mec-Gars with the sleeve as spares. Or you can do what I do, carry a XDm9 with 20rds and the small backstrap. Feels about like a full size HP only lighter with a couple more rounds. :cool:

jbfla
07-19-2010, 05:32 PM
I have both guns and the XDM is a significant upgrade over the original XD. Due to the ability to change the backstrap I was able to fit the gun to my hand. The original XD is a bit large for my hands but I recently installed the new Springer Precision enhanced grip safety and now no matter how I grip the XD I can engage the grip safety. This replacement part is worth the money if you have had problems with the XD grip.

Snake-eater 1
07-19-2010, 06:20 PM
The XDm has a significantly shorter reset than the standard XD. In general, a better trigger all the way around!

Ike
07-19-2010, 10:41 PM
The XDm has a significantly shorter reset than the standard XD. In general, a better trigger all the way around!

That is exactly how it felt to me when I handled both.
The one thing I do not like about the XDM is its over size length grip, it is way too long, if they made one in the same length of the Glock 19 even if it took less then 19 rounds I would like that very much with the 3.8 inch barrel it would be an ideal size for me. It feels almost impossible to conceal a gun with a grip that long.

MrScott
07-20-2010, 08:43 AM
My carry gun is an XD9sc, and I was perfectly happy with it, especially the 13+1 capacity, and I shoot it well. I added the Pearce grip extension to the mag and it was just perfect both for shootability and concealability.

Then I went and bought a used G17, because I wanted to be familiar with the Glock system. The 17 feels pretty good in my hand, which surprised me because I had shot a friend's Glock before and didn't really like it. I'm thinking it must have been a 19, because it just didn't fit my hand right for some reason.

Now, when I shoot them side-by-side, I like the G17 trigger better. It seems to stack a little at the end but it isn't as long and mushy as the sc. *Yikes*! Glock trigger envy! Oh no!

So I keep hearing about the Springer and Powder River trigger stuff for the XD, and I'm thinking I really need to put that stuff in my XD's. From what Dr. Meade is saying, if you're going to go to the XD subcompact that might be the ultimate setup.

grimel
07-20-2010, 10:05 AM
That is exactly how it felt to me when I handled both.
The one thing I do not like about the XDM is its over size length grip, it is way too long, if they made one in the same length of the Glock 19 even if it took less then 19 rounds I would like that very much with the 3.8 inch barrel it would be an ideal size for me. It feels almost impossible to conceal a gun with a grip that long.

It's not that hard. If you can conceal a 1911/BHP/G17 the XDm is concealable. If you really really need a smaller gun, Canyon Creek (I think) offers a 3.8 minus (chopped 16 shot XDm 3.8) with regular 19 rd mags for spares.

ME personally, I'd buy a XDsc and spend a few dollars with Springer for an upgraded trigger before I bought a XDm 3.8 and had it chopped. For the difference in cost I could have several extra mags and some ammo to practice.

That said, the XD45sc has been catching my eye of late. Smaller than a G19 11 45's with 13 in reserve.

Ike
07-20-2010, 12:33 PM
That said, the XD45sc has been catching my eye of late. Smaller than a G19 11 45's with 13 in reserve.

The XDM's grip is longer then the BHP or the 1911 and no i do not like the length of grip on the G17 either for concealment.
Also I do not like to do any custom work on plastic guns that most of the time are good to go from the box.
I used to own an XD 45 SC but I sold it because I found out that the G30 SF or the Glock 36/30 SF Hybrid I have is much better in my hand then the XD 45. I am not buying an XD right now all I tried to do was hear opinions on the trigger in the regular XD compared to the XDM.:)

grimel
07-20-2010, 01:19 PM
The XDM's grip is longer then the BHP

I am not buying an XD right now all I tried to do was hear opinions on the trigger in the regular XD compared to the XDM.:)

The XDm with the small insert feels like a BHP in the hand.

I thought I covered the trigger. XDm or XD with a trigger job. BTW, the XD trigger job is akin to swapping out springs and connectors on the Glock.

The XD needs a trigger job to be competitive with the XDm.

You didn't like the XD45sc? I didn't like the single stack Glock. It seemed to combine the worst parts of the G20 and G26. Need to find someone with a hybrid just to try it.

jbfla
10-04-2010, 07:40 PM
I have several XD's and an XDM 3.8. In my XD's I used the Springer Precision trigger replacement. Once that is done there is very little difference between the XDM and the modified XD's. I shoot all of them but tend to carry the XD sc due to size with a fullsize XD backup mag.

If you will search my other posts you will find a reference to using the XD DVD's that are out there. If you do that you should be able to manage any part replacement you might want to do without having to go to a gunsmith.

rob45
11-04-2010, 09:22 PM
It's not that hard. If you can conceal a 1911/BHP/G17 the XDm is concealable. If you really really need a smaller gun, Canyon Creek (I think) offers a 3.8 minus (chopped 16 shot XDm 3.8) with regular 19 rd mags for spares.

ME personally, I'd buy a XDsc and spend a few dollars with Springer for an upgraded trigger before I bought a XDm 3.8 and had it chopped. For the difference in cost I could have several extra mags and some ammo to practice.

I prefer the XD over the XDm...one, to me they look better (but that's subjective) and two, the grip lengths are smaller. The plain XD fits my hand perfectly and comfortably. The triggers feel fine to me but I had an XD9 for quite some time so I'm used to it. I bought an XD45 Compact this week and this is THE carry pistol I've always wanted:) Also have a coupon if you buy one between November and December or something like that you get three free extra mags...need to get my form in the mail.

rob45
11-04-2010, 09:28 PM
The XDM's grip is longer then the BHP or the 1911 and no i do not like the length of grip on the G17 either for concealment.
Also I do not like to do any custom work on plastic guns that most of the time are good to go from the box.
I used to own an XD 45 SC but I sold it because I found out that the G30 SF or the Glock 36/30 SF Hybrid I have is much better in my hand then the XD 45. I am not buying an XD right now all I tried to do was hear opinions on the trigger in the regular XD compared to the XDM.:)

I have tried to find the thread on your hybrid 36/30SF and I can't find it. Sounds like a perfect pistol. Is the thread still up by chance? I had a plain 36 and loved it but really wanted more than 7 rounds.

Ike
11-04-2010, 10:24 PM
Go to stuff for sale and see the post about selling my baby.

Ski098
12-11-2010, 10:27 AM
The XDm Compact is now out. 3.8" barrel. 13+1 in the compact grip, and 19+1 in the standard XDm magazines.

It definitely went to the top of my "must have" list when it came out. A concealable size grip, with a full size barrel.

William Carter
12-11-2010, 08:56 PM
I have shot both a good bit and the "m" trigger felt some better but not a lot to me. My 1st xd 9 had a tiny bit of crud in the firing pin hole that caused it to misfire until I had somebody on WT tell me what was going on with it. I have never had that happen with any other gun in 30 plus years of shooting.

Once you get used to a decent glock trigger the trigger finger has to be re educated, at least I do.