PDA

View Full Version : Zip loc type bags for M 16

billcameron
11-29-2003, 09:01 PM
With all the concern about M 16 jamming with sand in Iraq, I wonder if something simple might be helpful. What I had in mind is form fitted "zip loc type" plastic case for M 16. This should seal it against sand. In addition to "zip loc" type closure/opener may also have tab that would let you tear case open, which would of course make it unsuitable for reuse. While this could make getting weapon into use a bit slower, it would seem to be a worthwhile trade off for most situations. Any opinions?

sanchezero
11-29-2003, 10:42 PM
These are made. I've seen them somewhere, I'm sure of it. Someone here knows...

RedDevil
11-30-2003, 07:39 AM
These are made. I've seen them somewhere, I'm sure of it. Someone here knows...

Yes, they are. I've bought a few magazines online that came sealed in them. ComputerGuy on the forums sells them.

Terry Hoover
11-30-2003, 12:28 PM
Take a clear or green trash bag, one that is too long for the rifle. Place rifle in bag and wrap the open end around and tie itself in a knot. You can pull the trigger through the bag in an emergency or if there is time rip the bag off. Bag must be longer than the rifle in order to tie the knot.
Trash bags are great for millions of uses, hypothermia, ruck sack internal dry bag, external dry bag, you can even carry water by placing two bags inside of each other for strength, and use them to float across the desert with.
Do an inter-library loan and get the book by Major Cresson H. Kearney, US Army Inf. Ret. "Jungle Snafus and Remedies". ISBN number is 1-884067-10-7. Twenty two chapts. and appendix and Bibliography, over 400 pages. Chapt. Seven "AK47 Versus the M16, and M16 Rifle Bags". He was the WWII Panama Jungle Experiments Officer, also OSS in China towards the end of the war and then back to Panama. Later he was a Geological explorer in the S. American Jungles. After he retired he was sent to Viet. to improve Infantry weapons and equip.. Also wrote "Nuclear War Survival Skills" for the old Atomic Energy Commission. Rhodes Scholar. Don't know his Jungle Boot size, Got carried away.
Semper Fi,
Tippy

InTheBlack
12-01-2003, 10:55 PM
They had such bags in Vietnam and I once saw them for sale by a militaria business. Certainly the MilSpec must still exist somewhere, even if it were prior to the NSN system.