PDA

View Full Version : Big Slower Bullets

RFrier
11-29-2003, 09:20 AM
I have read on various other sites the tendency for fast light bullets. I cannot help but think, a heavier bullet will do more in stopping a BG. For example: I like carrying a 2.75" .357 mag off-duty. I have found, 158 gr JHP, Blazer, looks like soft lead over copper shoots to point of aim. It seems to me, a 158 gr HP will do more damage in the thoraic than one of the touted 124 gr faster bullets. Comments would be welcomed.

RFrier
11-29-2003, 02:05 PM
Sorry to have posted this in the wrong forum.

Matt
11-29-2003, 02:43 PM
I have read on various other sites the tendency for fast light bullets. I cannot help but think, a heavier bullet will do more in stopping a BG. For example: I like carrying a 2.75" .357 mag off-duty. I have found, 158 gr JHP, Blazer, looks like soft lead over copper shoots to point of aim. It seems to me, a 158 gr HP will do more damage in the thoraic than one of the touted 124 gr faster bullets. Comments would be welcomed.

I agree in theory - but I'm afraid I don't have mcuh experience to draw from. I feel better carrying a 230gr load in my .45 than a lighter faster load. Physics backs this up, though - momentum is always conserved in a collision (p=m*v), wheras energy is almost never conserved (KE=1/2*m*v^2), losing much to light, heat, and sound energy. In "thoery land", a heavier, slightly slower bullet will hit "harder" (with more momentum) than a lighter, slightly faster bullet.

Whether a bad guy can tell the difference between the slightly higher momentum is a whole 'nother question though - as always, it's the Indian, not the arrow.........

InTheBlack
12-01-2003, 11:05 PM
I've come to the conclusion that the only scientific way to compare this issue is to set up a test where you shoot twins...

IMO an individual might be better served by determining which sort of recoil impulse he responds to best-- the snappy recoil of the light/fast bullets, or the longer push of the slow/heavy.

Then stay on target and shoot 'em to the ground.

Vig Creed
12-02-2003, 10:18 AM
Both "slow & heavy" and "light & fast" work on the street. In my experience, slow & heavy is more likely to kill eventually, fast & light is more likely to "stop" a normal size aggressor faster.

On the other hand, slow & heavy, because of deeper penetration, is more likely to be effective on really BIG targets.

But, truth is, they both work just fine if the target is centered and hit repeatedly.

creed