PDA

View Full Version : Stainless Steel Barrel on an AK?

LordPhoenix
12-28-2009, 06:35 PM
Are there any issues with ss barrels on an AK? Does stainless stand up to the heat of heavy use as well as chrome molly? (I heard a rumor that it doesn't so I want to ask around.)

Thanks.

motorhead
12-28-2009, 06:58 PM
rate of wear depends on the round and speed of it, but in general, a truly chrome lined barrel will last the longest.

barnetmill
12-28-2009, 08:34 PM
Are any of the made in USA barrels chromed? If not then a stainless barrel if available would be a good idea.

5thShock
12-29-2009, 08:23 AM
My understanding is stainless barrels are more resistant to heat erosion or gas cutting.

LordPhoenix
12-29-2009, 10:06 AM
Are any of the made in USA barrels chromed? If not then a stainless barrel if available would be a good idea.

I know of at least one maker whose chrome molly barrels are chrome lined.

Kansas Volunteer
12-29-2009, 11:35 AM
Would you mind sharing the name of the one maker whose barrels are chrome lined?

LordPhoenix
12-29-2009, 12:25 PM
Sure. Lancaster arms makes both chrome lined chrome molly steel and stainless steel barrels. www.lancasterarms.com (http://www.warriortalk.com/www.lancasterarms.com)

LordPhoenix
12-30-2009, 09:25 PM
And they tell me they put their stainless barrels in the guns they make for the military and they stand up to full auto firs fine...

motorhead
12-31-2009, 06:59 AM
Lancaster makes arms for our military? I'm quite dubious.

LordPhoenix
12-31-2009, 11:11 AM
They make AKs for military contracts. I don't know what military or who is paying.

BigSal
12-31-2009, 08:25 PM
They make AKs for military contracts. I don't know what military or who is paying.

I doubt they do. Chet Durda is a pathological lier and shameless self promoter.

I had a milled 3060 model on order with them a year before they had the receivers made. When I placed the order he told me I had a wait time of about 30 days. Every week after that 30 day time-frame I called him and "oh, it'll be another week at most", than finally I asked for my money back. The kicker is, he shorted me $25 on the refund. The guy is scum and his work is sub-par.

I would be VERY wary of dealing with them again. :mad:

TXP7M8
12-31-2009, 09:04 PM
Stainless is fine on a semi auto, but I would never trust a stainless barrel to handle the stress of full auto fire.

barnetmill
12-31-2009, 10:10 PM
Stainless is fine on a semi auto, but I would never trust a stainless barrel to handle the stress of full auto fire.
Can you elaborate on that statement. I believe that stainless target barrels last longer. Stainless steel barrels cost a little more. I have no idea how well they handle fullauto fire, but then most of use do not have fullauto AK's in the USA. could be important for a contractor using an AR. I knew one that would take a short AR upper to places like Iraq and then put a fullauto lower on it once he got overseas. Can't be readily done for the AK.

motorhead
01-01-2010, 11:33 AM
Can you elaborate on that statement. I believe that stainless target barrels last longer. Stainless steel barrels cost a little more. I have no idea how well they handle fullauto fire, but then most of use do not have fullauto AK's in the USA. could be important for a contractor using an AR. I knew one that would take a short AR upper to places like Iraq and then put a fullauto lower on it once he got overseas. Can't be readily done for the AK.

Contractors are issued weapons, and these weapons must be ballistically fingerprinted, numbered, and assigned. No real contractor ever takes "thier own weapons over there".

But if you don't believe me, I'll easily put you in contact with someone in Xe.

Further, it has been proven tme nad again that hard chrome outlasts high temp, high volume auto fire best. that's why nearly all countries use it in thier military rifles.

Finally, your company having a "military division" doenst mean that any foriegn gov't has actually bought anything - I'm still very dubious.

LordPhoenix
01-01-2010, 12:48 PM
Contractors are issued weapons, and these weapons must be ballistically fingerprinted, numbered, and assigned. No real contractor ever takes "thier own weapons over there".

Thats true unless you are on a "diplomatic contract". (A friend of mine was in that line of work and explained it to me. The first few times he went to Iraq he could not take his own weapon but when he got a job guarding some prince or something he could take his own.)

your company having a "military division" doenst mean that any foriegn gov't has actually bought anything - I'm still very dubious.

Very true.

barnetmill
01-01-2010, 02:55 PM

But if you don't believe me, I'll easily put you in contact with someone in Xe.

Further, it has been proven tme nad again that hard chrome outlasts high temp, high volume auto fire best. that's why nearly all countries use it in thier military rifles.
Thanks for the information.

I only know what a friend told me that was working a few years ago in Iraq and elsewhere. Perhaps it is different now. At the time he was training locals and at another time he was doing security for a construction site in Afghanistan. In Afghanistan they purchased what they needed locally. No ballistic fingerprinting was mentioned. In Iraq he said he did not bring a weapon over, only an upper I think in the CAR configuration since he wanted a short weapon.

By the way what is "Xe"?

MyAristeia
01-01-2010, 05:45 PM
By the way what is "Xe"?

It's the new name for Blackwater.

TXP7M8
01-02-2010, 10:15 AM
As a Security Contractor, I'm not aware of any ballistic fingerprinting. AK weapons with contractors are "swingers" they still trade weapons from time to time between themselves.

motorhead
01-02-2010, 11:18 AM
perhaps differant companies have differant rules and/or differant obligations per contract.

Either way, no one just takes thier own weapons, they are issued.

LordPhoenix
01-02-2010, 04:03 PM
Either way, no one just takes thier own weapons, they are issued.

Yes, they are issued, but you don't have to use the issued weapons. You cannot take your own but my friend when he was there didn't like the quality of what he was issued so he bought his own while in country. He had to sell it again before he left as he couldn't bring it with him back to the US but he still used something other than what he was issued.

7.62_fan
01-02-2010, 05:10 PM
I doubt they do. Chet Durda is a pathological lier and shameless self promoter.

I had a milled 3060 model on order with them a year before they had the receivers made. When I placed the order he told me I had a wait time of about 30 days. Every week after that 30 day time-frame I called him and "oh, it'll be another week at most", than finally I asked for my money back. The kicker is, he shorted me $25 on the refund. The guy is scum and his work is sub-par.

I would be VERY wary of dealing with them again. :mad:

That's unfortunate, hope I never need to deal with their customer service. So far the quality on my particular Lancaster AK (7.62x39, Romanian G parts, Nodak NDS-3 receiver, KVAR poly furniture) has been very good -- no problems at all.