PDA

View Full Version : Reloading - God - Us

lobo_in_wv
02-17-2005, 08:32 PM
I was sitting at the reloading bench this evening, thinking. Thinking about how I've got to the range to get empty brass cases to bring home to reload. When I get them home, I let them dry out if they are wet. I stick them in the tumbler with the cleaning media to get the dirt and burnt powder off them. I clean out the primer pockets so the primer will full seat. If it is a military cartridge, I have a little that chamfers the primer pocket - it cuts a small angle so a new primer will fit. Sometimes the case length is too long - I have a cutter that fixes that. Next is filling with powder, and finally the bullet.

When I get to the range, if I'm alone, the first thing I usually do is to check the ground for empty casings. I also glance in the trash barrel, but will only go so far into the barrel… I'll take a stick or long cartridge and flip cases out of a puddle. Sometimes even take a knife blade or screwdriver and get brass out of the cracks in the bench.

I find it amazing how God will go to the bottom of the barrel to find us and save us. We tend not to go very far into the barrel, because you never know what surprises lurk there… But God picks us up, and claims us as His. He takes us, and polishes us up. He cleans the "primer pockets" - those dark corners of our lives where stuff builds up. Sometimes He has to trim us to length, or smooth up our rough edges.

He then fills us with some knowledge, and a desire for Him and for the lost - our primer and powder. Finally, he puts in the bullet - our purpose and mission in life. Just as there are many different types of bullets - each for a specific purpose, there are many missions for life. Reloaders must consult manuals to find the powder charge and bullet type for a specific purpose. God already knows. He has a mission and purpose for each of us.

Joe Average
02-18-2005, 05:08 AM
Good analogy.
If we try to do our own 'filling' we inevitably end up with a big
...KB!
I've done it and inevitably disrupted and sometimes seriously damaged my
'chamber' and other surrounding areas of operation :(

michael
02-18-2005, 08:49 AM
I find it amazing how God will go to the bottom of the barrel to find us and save us. We tend not to go very far into the barrel, because you never know what surprises lurk there… But God picks us up, and claims us as His. He takes us, and polishes us up. He cleans the "primer pockets" - those dark corners of our lives where stuff builds up. Sometimes He has to trim us to length, or smooth up our rough edges.

He then fills us with some knowledge, and a desire for Him and for the lost - our primer and powder. Finally, he puts in the bullet - our purpose and mission in life. Just as there are many different types of bullets - each for a specific purpose, there are many missions for life. Reloaders must consult manuals to find the powder charge and bullet type for a specific purpose. God already knows. He has a mission and purpose for each of us.
Excellent!

Ragsbo
02-18-2005, 09:17 AM
What I can never understand is why he would bother.

lobo_in_wv
02-19-2005, 08:25 PM
What I can never understand is why he would bother.

If you had a $10,000 English shotgun, and you dropped it in the mud, would you throw it away because it got muddy, or would you wipe it off and put some oil on it?

You'd have too much invested in it to just throw it away, right?

God placed us on earth at just the right time to fulfill some part of His will. He arranged history, our place of birth, where we went to school, all our life experiences, so that we would turn out "just right" to be a part of His story. If we choose to set it out, someone else will fill in, but His story, history, continues on.

We shouldn't let the devil, our enemy, talk us out of our part in the greatest story of all time. We also shouldn't talk others out of their part in God's story.

God has so much invested in us, and most importantly, He loves us so much that He won't just throw us away. He gives us all the time, right up to our dying breath to come to Him... Shouldn't we go now, and get fitted for our part?

==============

Someone (not here) commented to me about neck-sizing... I hope my response can stand alone without posting their comment.

Here it is:

Like when you develop a load and shoot it out of one particular gun? The brass starts to form for that one gun. You don't have to do full-length, because it is just for that one gun... Maybe trim it a little now and then, do a little neck sizing on the brass after it undergoes the pressures associated with firing?

Isn't that like sanctification?

Sometimes we may put ammo in a box to keep it organized, until we get a chance to go to the range... Sometimes, as Christians, we may get put in the "ammo box", but everything happens in God's time. When He is ready to use us, then we get our chance. Until then we need to keep our powder and primer dry, so when it is our time to do God's plan, we will not misfire.