PDA

View Full Version : wrist injury

unstpabl1
02-06-2005, 11:37 PM
Hey guys,I need your advice again :)
I'm looking for info on rehabing a bad wrist sprain.Things like excercises for flexibilty & strength,when to start,etc.Thanks!
mike schoenfeld

Dan-O
02-07-2005, 12:33 AM
Mike,
It depends how bad the injury is.
Also depends on your individual tolerance to pain and how important it is to get you "Operational" again.

I know that I rush to be fixed whenever Ive been injured,and I just try to ignore the pain and drive on.

This has resulted in some nagging irritations for me.

I would say that if you have the time,and no reason to rush,take it easy on your wrist and dont do anything that hurts.

After that,range of motion excercises with and without weights.

Or you could be a dumba** like me and just ignore it. :D

The "Oldtimers" are right,if you have the sense to listen to them then you should do so. ;)

RES
02-07-2005, 02:56 AM
I concur with the above post.

I'd also recommend consulting a physical therapist for some advice. In this case, nothing beats the hands-on opinion.

Cpt. Jim
02-07-2005, 03:53 AM
Put your wrist in water as hot as you can stand. Leave iot there for about five minutes. Then move it to ice water for 5 minutes. Do this for 30 minutes perfereable 3 times a day. You should see results within a day or two.
Another good remedy in the use of Imu oil (best if mixed with MSM) on the sore joint. Apply liberally and massage in to the skin. You should feel relief from the pain in just a few monents. Apply 2-3 times a day and continue for one week.
Remeber to increase your intake of calcium (perferably coral calcuim) and Super Omega Complex (it has Fish, Borage, Flax oil+CLA Omega 3-6-9 Fatty Acids), Vitamin E, Glucosamine sulphate, Selenium, Boron, Magnesium and L-Lysine. These supplemnets will supply your body with an abundance of repair material to work with.
Be carful with the joint and avoid putting any more strain on it, until it has recovered, otherwise you could set it up for premature arthritis.
Find more info at this site: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=Herbal+remedies+for+strains&btnG=Search
Jim

BladeMaster
02-07-2005, 05:46 PM
Unstpabl1, My other hat just happens to be a P.T. of 25 yrs.
I need a little info.in order to help you.
How old is your injury, circumstances(traumatic,repetitive,etc.), x-rays?, Did ya see a Doc & what kind, swelling/brusing present? How bad is your pain on a 1-10 scale? Is it braced & by whose order?
Add anything else you think is relevant & I will be glad to assist. As a rule sprains suck and need Rest first,not exercise as most people think. Get back to me and we'll chat. Stay Safe!

unstpabl1
02-07-2005, 08:20 PM
Unstpabl1, My other hat just happens to be a P.T. of 25 yrs.
I need a little info.in order to help you.
How old is your injury, circumstances(traumatic,repetitive,etc.), x-rays?, Did ya see a Doc & what kind, swelling/brusing present? How bad is your pain on a 1-10 scale? Is it braced & by whose order?
Add anything else you think is relevant & I will be glad to assist. As a rule sprains suck and need Rest first,not exercise as most people think. Get back to me and we'll chat. Stay Safe!

Thank you,I appreciate your kind offer.Didn't see a doctor,no xray,no insurance,between gigs.Wrist had been sore for awhile probably from prior m/a training,tender but fuctional.Haven't been able to do palm down push up for a few yrs prior to current injury.If it matters I'm 46 & at least 30lbs overweight.

After Jkd/kali class,hitting focus mitts untaped hands(dumb)expienced normal tenderness,but no real lasting pain,came home ,no problem,5 hours later it hurt like hell!Wrist swelled,hand also,thumb ,forefinger.This was exactly 4 weeks ago.Pain wasbetween 8-10 for about 10 days & has been getting bettter since.Couldn't write or lift an empty can & shifting was fun!I was going to go to county hospital if it didn't get better after 12 days,but it did.One thing it usually hurt in different spots.No bruising at all.I ace bandagfd it few 1st few days,then a EMT FRiend brought me a brace which I wore 24/7 till last few days.Now I'm wearing it alot but trying to ween off of it.now,it doesn't really hurt unless used,if that makes sense.Like too much weight or stretching its range of motion doing eveyday things.Hope this helps.Thanks again!
Mike Schoenfeld

unstpabl1
02-07-2005, 08:31 PM
Just wanted to thank you guy for your help,its much appreciated.

1 source:WELCOME HOME!THANK YOU!I wish you much success & joy

mike

BladeMaster
02-08-2005, 08:25 PM
Mike, thanks for the info. It helps. It does sound like you had a bad sprain. Always wrap up prior to wacking a heavy bag,THEY hit back! Seriously, what happens is you not only crunched all of your small wrist bones together repeatidly,but,you injured your forearm muscles as well. That is why you are having trouble with ROM as well as strength problems. You see when muscles(any Muscle in the body) is injured it contracts and shortens pulling all the joints closer together,and straining the tendons due to the constant pull. Ergo,tendonitis and pain and decreased ROM.
Rest,ice and some immobility is good at first...however, the injured muscles need to be addressed soon to help them return to their non-spasm length. Massage or Myofascial Release is a very important modality to do this. Also Ultrasound,Moist Heat & E-Stim to the forearm muscles should be done at the same treatment session 3 times a week. Have the Therapist check your Triceps muscle & tendon for injury as well. After a week to 10 days or so, slowly add gentle ROM stretching to assist in muscle lengthening. Let pain be your guide. No pain no Gain is pretty much a Bull Sh** concept. You're already injured! Why do you want to irritate already irritated tissue? Don't let the Therapist get too Macho with the massage either. Deep tissue massage is OK for healthy muscle...but,you're not healthy yet.
You will probably need PT for more than 1 month 3 times a week to completely resolve your muscle/tendon injury. You also may have a bone bruise of the wrist bones which takes longer to heal. Start your bag work slowly. Too early leads to re-injury. Let your Therapist guide you if they have the knowledge base.
I hope this helps Mike. Feel free to write again. You can private mail me if you like. I hope I can figure out how to retrive it :) I'm great with bodies,I suck at computers. Stay Safe.

GTMN
02-12-2005, 08:44 AM
Mesotherapy is a medical technique, that has existed in France since 1952. It was invented by Dr Pistor, a family doctor in Paris : "to bring the right product, in the right amount, to the right place"

The principle of mesotherapy is injecting medicine miscellanies in small dosages and with multiple microinjections in the superior skinlayer as close as possible of the wherabouts of disease.

http://www.caringmedical.com/therapies/mesotherapy.asp

I think that the mesotherapy is rather known in USA for the aesthetic and weight loss, but the treatment is very effective for sport traumatology.

I tested it for a bad sprain and it was fast and successfull !

I hope this will help you...
GTMN

Marc "Crafty Dog" Denny
02-12-2005, 10:04 PM
Woof:

Whether in the presence of trained professionals or not, I speak only as someone who has been around a while of what works best for me :) :

Even when there is a specific precipating cause of an injury, suspect susceptibility to that injury being cause by some sort of misalignment elsewhere in the body i.e. that put it in a position of overwork due to subtle misalingment and hence, susceptibility to injury.

For example, for a wrist injury I would look to the extensor-flexor balance of the fingers, the balance of rotator cuff, the spine in the thorasic (sp?) region, the continuity from finger tips of one hand to the finger tips of the other, etc for root causes.

To work on rehabbing a wrist, the following items occur to me:

a) Work grip open and close in a bucket of rice. As things progress, rotate wrist
b) clench the hand into a fist
c) make a fist and hold pushup position (on knees if necessary)

YMMV, observations and comments welcome.

Crafty Dog/Marc

unstpabl1
02-12-2005, 10:41 PM
Woof:

Whether in the presence of trained professionals or not, I speak only as someone who has been around a while of what works best for me :) :

Even when there is a specific precipating cause of an injury, suspect susceptibility to that injury being cause by some sort of misalignment elsewhere in the body i.e. that put it in a position of overwork due to subtle misalingment and hence, susceptibility to injury.

For example, for a wrist injury I would look to the extensor-flexor balance of the fingers, the balance of rotator cuff, the spine in the thorasic (sp?) region, the continuity from finger tips of one hand to the finger tips of the other, etc for root causes.

To work on rehabbing a wrist, the following items occur to me:

a) Work grip open and close in a bucket of rice. As things progress, rotate wrist
b) clench a fist and strip the swelling r

Sorry,i don't understand what you mean by Strip the swelling.
mike

BladeMaster
02-13-2005, 01:39 PM
HOWDY, I LIKE BOTH MARC'S IDEA OF OVERUSE ,AS IN REALITY, THAT'S WHAT CAUSES MOST INJURIES. WHAT YOU DID IS JUST THE STRAW THAT BROKE THE CAMEL'S BACK. THE TECHNIQUE OF MESOTHERAPY IS SOUND AS WELL. iT'S JUST WHERE DO YOU LOOK TO FIND ONE IN YOUR AREA,AND IT STILL DOES'NT FIX THE MUSCLE INJURY AT THE MYOFIBRIL LEVEL(THAT'S DONE WITH PT MODALITIES) AND THE IMBALANCE/OVERUSE PROBLEM. REMEMBER,I BELIEVE IN THE "SHOTGUN "PHILOSOPHY,YOU JUST GOTTA KNOW YOUR GETTING TO THE ROOT OF IT ALL AND NOT JUST PLAYING WITH SYMPTOMS. STAY SAFE!