PDA

View Full Version : The man brought a gun to a gunfight, but still lost

hammerforged
01-30-2005, 02:57 PM
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/metropolitan/3016234

Jan. 30, 2005, 2:10PM

Man dies outside apartment in shootout with robbers

Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

Houston police are investigating a fatal shooting of a man in a robbery attempt outside his home just after 11 p.m.Saturday.

The victim, Reyes R. Anzora, 28, of 10300 Wilcrest, was pronounced dead at the scene, police said.

Two men approached Anzora's brother-in-law who was walking toward Anzora's apartment when two men chased him, put a gun to his head and demanded his wallet, police reported.

Anzora opened the front door and tried to defend his brother-in-law with a revolver, shooting one time toward the suspects, police said. They returned fire, hitting Anzora in the chest.

The two suspects fled northbound on Wilcrest, driving a sky blue 1990-1992 four-door Toyota Camry with dark tinted windows.

Anyone with information may contact the Houston Police Homicide Division at 713-308-3600 or Crime Stoppers at 713-222-TIPS.

-----------------------------

I bet he didn't know how to use that gun too well if at all.

Al Lipscomb
01-30-2005, 05:27 PM
There are also times you may not want to turn a robbery into a gunfight.

JodyH
01-30-2005, 06:29 PM
A commonly held misconception is that owning a gun means you are armed.

Shottist1911
01-31-2005, 08:48 AM
A commonly held misconception is that owning a gun means you are armed.

As they say on another list "it depends."

If you have a gun, then by definition you are armed.

The question is - are you proficient with your arms?

How proficient do you need to be for the situation? In the initial presentation of this thread the would-be defender committed several tactical errors (standing in doorway, probably highlighted by the room behind, probably had no experience shooting with an adrenaline dump - and may have had no experience shooting at all). In a classic scenario the rapist falls on top of the woman in her bed, who then grabs her gun and shoves it into his stomach while yanking the trigger-boom-boom!

Falls back on Inspector Callahan's pithy comment: "A man's got to know his limitations."
:cool:

Dale Fricke
01-31-2005, 09:16 AM
What a shame! :confused: This is why we train!!!!!!!!!!
At least he wasn’t a cowered! :D
“Greater love has no man then this that lay down his life for his friends” :cool:
Jesus Christ
Hope he called Him Lord
Thx for the post

Ragsbo
01-31-2005, 12:31 PM
Sounds like he brought a gun to a gunfight but not very much fight. I know some who think that just having a gun is a magical potion that will save them from all evil. It takes more than a tool (the gun), it also takes knowledge and the WILL to use both.

CarlosDJackal
02-01-2005, 10:53 AM
A sword does not make a swordsman make. Likewise, having a gun does not make you a gunfighter. MINDSET and TACTICS some first for a reason. RIP.

Deaf Smith
02-02-2005, 08:12 PM
This is a good lesson in that one should make sure the ball needs to start rolling before one starts it rolling. Anytime you pull your roscoe things may not happen the way you think they will. Unintended consequences as they say.

I will not touch my gun if I see a stickup in a 7-11 type store (or any store) unless things are going downhill fast and some innocents are about to die.

And yes, having a gun makes you dangerous, but to just whom is another matter.