PDA

View Full Version : Next addition to the personal armory...

onerifle
01-30-2005, 01:45 PM
Folks- my personal carry setup is complete; G23, Kahr PM9, NAA mini .22LR.

I'm torn as to the next addition- I don't know which would best to add next, a HD shotgun, a la Mossberg 590A1/Remington 870, or an AR setup. I figure both will do the trick for home/CQB, but the AR platform will work substantially further out.

Due to budgetary constraints, it's a question of of which to add next, I intend on eventually having both.

Suggestions, and why?

Thanks.

dgg9
01-30-2005, 02:12 PM
If HD defense is a pressing concern, you can deal with it right away, as a decent pump shotgun can be had for under $300. Figure at least twice that for a used AR15.

onerifle
01-30-2005, 02:55 PM
dgg9- Thanks. The Glock 23 is my nightstand gun at the moment, as well as being for cool weather carry; all things being equal, I'll be able to get either the shotty or the AR next, but the following purchase will be quite aways down the road after that.

MDH
01-30-2005, 11:22 PM
If you live in a city or development get a shotgun to limit the over penetration of walls/windows in case you miss. You can always load slugs if you need a longer range or more precision. (sounds funny doesn't it, precission from a shotgun). I like the Winchester DEFENDER pump. It's very light and has a recoil assisted ejection. It's also cheap so that I do not care if it gets a little banged up or pitted. The Remington and Mossberg actions are not as smooth as the DEFENDER.

If you're in the country get a .308 battle rifle such as a M-14, G-3, FAL, GALIL, A-10 or a BM-59 .

The .223 was adopted during a time when the strategic thinking was that a wounded soldier was better than a dead soldier. It takes more enemy resources to take care of the wounded. Tactically, wounding is a bad idea.

The weight of the weapon and ammo is a non-issue. Both my G-3 & DEFENDER are either in my car or in my house. I do not have to hump it all over hill and dale like some poor light infantryman.

The AR-15 and MINI-14 decorate my gun safe.

Yeah the .223 might do the job but, I'm much happier having a .308 at hand instead.

InTheBlack
01-31-2005, 01:20 AM
The answer will be apparent once you ask yourself the right question:

How many hundreds of yards is there between your front porch and your property line? ;)

Paco
01-31-2005, 05:36 AM
The AR is far more versatile than the shotgun (which is actually quite a specialized tool) and is quite effective with good loads that a civilian is free to use.

Since budget is always an issue - the AR will also facilitate a lot more practice as training ammo is widely available at much lower expense.

Combine the low recoil, ergonomics and LOWER risk of overpenetration hazards when using good self defense loads (vs buckshot) and the .223/AR combo is tough to beat. Which is why it is so widely used by those who could use something else.

Ya might need to plan on protecting the ears though.