PDA

View Full Version : RPK folding stock???

EDELWEISS
10-11-2009, 05:57 PM
I asked before if anyone recalled an actual issued RPK with a fording stock. No one responded, but its stuck in my head that I saw or played with one back in the day....

So now that I'm putting together a semi auto version, I'm torn between leaving it stock or tinkering with it just a bit. I DON'T want some SOPMOD dress up kit. So far I'm going with the Krebs handguard and possibly a forward K-grip.

I was considering one of the TRIANGLE folders with the external blocks. I know using the external block extends the LOP. I haven't bought it yet so I can't say if it'll be too long for the RPK. I've read where some have shortened it to original LOP.

My thought were that by using the external block version nothing was permanate if I didn't like it. Also the open Triangle version would give a spot to hold during prone fireing like the club foot or the PKM stock.

Thoughts and comments.

Jaxon L.
10-12-2009, 09:02 AM
That's an idea a my friends and I were throwing around as well. Are you using a yugo kit? If so, you're most likely out of luck. I'm sure most would agree to advise you away from external blocks. Installing an ACE internal block is not very difficult, though because of the permanent nature of that mod and the cost I don't think that's the optimal way to go.

If the budget for this project is not restricted, put a AK-100 series hinge and triangle/ak-100 stock on it. The east german/romy wire folders may be more cost effective, although for a weapon that was designated as squad support, you may want a stock you can get a cheek weld on.

EDELWEISS
10-12-2009, 05:01 PM
I'm "up-grading" a Century Rommy gun. So a AK100 is out and while I actually like the Ace stocks as a US alternative, I'm not willing to fool around with this reciever in case I don't like the folder.

The external block Triangle folders are running just over $100, which is a lot if I don't like it but cheaper than the other alternatives. I'm thinking I should be able to get a decent cheek weld and if not maybe I can make one with a first aid bandage and tourniquet???

Red Jacket
10-12-2009, 05:46 PM
I've done them with the Bulgy sidefold's and the Ace . I like the military much better , go for that "Kyber Pass" look . Very much coolness . And all that gun wrapped around that little cartridge , not like it's a recoil beast . I found them to shoot just fine with the triangle side folder . I think Gabe's got the whole set's here for sell . changing out the trunnion's not that big a deal .

dletsch
10-12-2009, 06:35 PM
It looks terrible, and would likely break from hard use, but I use a Tapco folder on my RPK (I know - there is no point in criticizing me for it, as none of you can like the way it looks less than I do.)

But, it gives me an extra 1" of eye relief, and my RPK is sort of Tabuked (POSP, flash suppressor.) It makes the gun more transportable and more shootable. If it were a fighting rifle instead of a mid-range plinker I would go with a better stock (I have plenty of fighting AKs and ARs), but the longer LOP combined with the folder really serve me well.

bearclaw
10-25-2011, 03:53 PM
AKSteve
You got an extra one of those sets laying around?
Could use one for a build I'm working on.

ComblocCarbine
10-31-2011, 08:51 PM
Here's another pic of an RPKS

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l592/AKFTW/AKM%20pictures/RPKS.jpg