PDA

View Full Version : Hello Everyone and a few shotgun questions

BKS
01-27-2005, 06:12 PM
This is my first post on this forum.
I am a Police Officer with an agency of approximately 100 officers in a city of 40,000. I am a firearms trainer for my agency also acting as a sergeant in the criminal investigations.
I have been trying to decide if I want to invest the money and jump through the hoops with the ATF to purchase a 14" shotgun. I have a Remington Marine Mag. that I have added ghost rings, a surefre lights, and had the barrel vangcomped, but the 14" has always been in the back of my mind.
My department allows us to carry personal shotguns so this would be for work as well as home use. I have a few questions that hopefully someone with one of these shotguns will answer.
Do you feel that the shorter barrel is worth the money and hassles that are neccessary to obtain it?
Would you buy a pump or an autoloader? It would be a Remington in either case.
If I bought the complete gun could I send the barrel to Hans later to be worked on, without a ton of trouble??

MTS
01-27-2005, 08:42 PM
I have shot a 14" 870 a lot in the past and I am not sure the extra muzzle blast and recoil are worth it.

I also had a 11-87P for a while and discontinued carrying that as it was just too "twitchy" with the reduced recoil loads and I did not like the balance.

I have no experiance with an 14" autoloader.

If you have a registered Class 3 weapon taking the barrel off and sending it to be worked on should not be a problem although the company may question you to see if it is a legally registered C3.

Oh, and welcome to WT!

DaveJames
01-27-2005, 09:04 PM
After playing with the short bbl guns, I can't say I like them.

If in your roll as the CI for the dept. it requires you to help serve warrants then maybe,if your using it as a breecher or rush gun.

Class 3 is always a tuff nut to play with,I know that it used to be that any time you were going to go out of state with it you had to notify ATF.

I would stay with the 870 and at bare minium the 16" bbl,, if you can find a 1100 2 3/4" gun then I would build on that,, haven't had any do'ens with the newer 1187 and such

The Searcher
01-27-2005, 11:12 PM
In my very limited experience with short barrelled shotguns, they are unpleasant to shoot. If you want a shotgun that is a little shorter try a shorter stock.

I have been told that the semi's can have functioning problems with short barrels. I do not know this from personal experience but it's something to check into.

I don't think sending your legal short barrel to a smith is a problem. As noted, do not be shocked or insulted if the smith asks for paperwork to prove that you own it legally. I'm sure Hans knows the ins and outs and can advise. Sending the whole gun or the registered reciever is probably different.

As noted, Class 3 can be a huge pain in the butt. Among other things once a class 3 always a Class 3. If you change out the barrel to a 28 inch trap barrel you still possess a Class 3, short barrelled shotgun and you cannot loan it to your buddy or son for dove hunting.

I do not know the regulations about a police officer possessing a privately owned Class 3 not registered to him. IE, can you loan it to officer Joe? What happens if you forget it and leave it in the car when you go off duty?

For the private citizen, this is a major no no. An ugly example: You go to visit your buddy or go for training across the state and bring your Class 3. You get called home on a family emergency. You cannot leave it with your buddy and catch a plane.

One correction. The minimum legal length for a shotgun barrel is 18 inches not 16".

Crucible
01-27-2005, 11:32 PM
Just an FYI-I know that Knoxx (the same folks that make the Cop stock) is just coming out with a new stock called the Spec Ops that may be applicable to this conversation. (It's for non-auto's like the Copstock, but has both a pistol grip and and an adjustable M4-esque stock, and uses two recoil reducing systems).

I plan on getting one for my 18" 870. It seems to have some promise, and while I find it hard to believe the claims of up to 95% recoil reduction, I have heard good things about thier other stocks.....perhaps it can help the shorter stocked 870's to be more viable.

http://www.knoxx.com/NewStyleKnoxx/Products/SpecOpsStock.html

FWIW.

Chris

Dr.T
01-28-2005, 01:21 PM
The 14" gun handles much better than those with longer barrels, and it is very good for CQB. It's worked well in my hands in pump and semi-auto. However, it is a legal hassle. So...if it's your department gun that's one thing. For yourself, the 18" is just easier legally. Use Federal Tactical ammo and recoil will not be an issue.

Dr. Snubnose
01-28-2005, 08:06 PM
I don't see anything wrong with that 870 Marine Model....Great shotgun...It will serve you well.

glock22fan
01-28-2005, 09:29 PM
I have shot a 14" 870 a lot in the past and I am not sure the extra muzzle blast and recoil are worth it.

I also had a 11-87P for a while and discontinued carrying that as it was just too "twitchy" with the reduced recoil loads and I did not like the balance.

I have no experiance with an 14" autoloader.

If you have a registered Class 3 weapon taking the barrel off and sending it to be worked on should not be a problem although the company may question you to see if it is a legally registered C3.

Oh, and welcome to WT!

Yea ,what Mark said.