PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Mounts

kyle reese
01-16-2005, 11:42 PM
Can anyone recommend some good barrel mounts for reasonably priced lights I can use on long guns?

I want to mount a light to an 7.62 AK, and need a barrel mount to put on it. I am also looking for a barrel mount that will fit on the mag tube of my 20GAUGE extended Choate mag tube on my 870. I would also like to mount a simple light to the barrels of my CARs, and would like to keep the whole mounting outfit/rig as low cost yet decent as possible. (I noticed in the book Black Hawk Down in the pictures section a barrel mount for a small surefire, a 6P I think, is shown in the corner of a photo taken looking out of the cargo area in a helicopter on a CAR).

I haven't decided on the light I'll put in the mounts yet. I think the TACM III lights have a barrel mount that is available separately but I don't know for sure, and don't know if the TACM lights the mount is made for are smaller or larger in diameter than the Scorp/Surefire type lights I would rather use. I like Scorpion lights but I am unsure if you can get pressure pad switches for them. I can get other lights so long as they aren't too much more costly than the Scorpion, but what I really need is product recommendations on the barrel only mounts.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Liberty or Death
01-17-2005, 05:05 PM
Kyle,

Avoid those damned barrel mounts. They really play havoc with the weapon's balance as well as cause all kinds of deviation in your POI.

On my FAL, what I did was drilled a couple of holes in the handguard and riveted on a small weaver rail with which to mount a Surefire.

It's a pretty simple set up. Simple and sturdy.

I'm not sure if that would work for the AK since I haven't owned one in over 12 years but you might want to buy some extra fore ends and play with that idea.

BTW, any thing larger than a 6P is a waste of space and makes your weapon unwieldy. During a night time rifle course some years back we tested various lights and the ability to positively identify threats beyond 20 yards with any certainty was the same regardless of how many lumens our light had. The 6P seemed to be the best compromise between brightness and weight/size/portability.

Just my .02.

DaveJames
01-17-2005, 09:18 PM
You could always relieve the forearm with a dremel untill the light lines up like you want, then glassbed the mount,should be rock steady