PDA

View Full Version : found a beretta storm...

twinboysdad
08-15-2009, 05:48 AM
after being told they are unavailable, I found a .40 s&w version. At a pawn shop. with a $800 price tag. Ouch! Since I have never shot one of these, is the .40 version equal to the 9mm in terms of ruggedness and handling and fun factor? What is fair for a very lightly used specimin? I had my heart set on a 9mm for ammo cost and mag capacity

SnowStorm
08-15-2009, 06:18 AM
Gunbroker has a bunch available. Sometimes see them on other forums. I would think closer to $650 used is about avg.

lilc
08-15-2009, 07:29 AM
They have been available around here for around $500 used at 95% to 99%.

Matthew77
08-15-2009, 07:39 PM
While never having shot the Beretta. I shoot against one almost every month. Other than the left hand shooting, because of the mag release, it always performs very well.

I know the AR guys will argue with me. But between this and my Subby we have WAY less FTE and FTF than the AR's. (Even a few of the AK's, but I suspect that is because they did a "trigger" job.)

I would say the biggest benefit would be the exchange of magazines from rifle to "secondary." (Again this is all IMO.)

Get a good optic of some sort and on down the road I would go. :)

Topmaul
08-16-2009, 05:28 AM
Matt I will back you up on that, yesterday I shot a pistol caliber carbine match (like IDPA but with a carbine), my Storm and all the rest of the carbines worked just fine, a lot of shooters had AR in pistol caliber and had massive headachs with them. Got second place mostly due to a tactical difference I had with the IDPA rules so I got dinged for a procedural penalty. Anyway the point is that to win at gun games you have to have very reliable equipment I would assume the same is true in the real world where the stakesare much higher! Beretta CX4 Storm Carbine has only one draw back that is the liability trigger, which you can fix in about five minutes.

98 Joes
08-16-2009, 08:58 AM
I have the Storm in 9mm and I have found it to be very reliable. The only FTF or FTE I've had seem to be ammo related. Weak loads don't cycle well with that heavy bolt in the Storm. Since the CX4 was designed around the pistol caliber, I would expect it to be better than the AR platform that was designed for a rifle caliber. This is the same thing that I've seen with the Winchester 94s in cowboy matches that fire pistol caliber rounds. The 94s were designed for the 30-30 and will jam up on on the shorter pistol calibers when run hard. I'm a fan of shooting the ammo the weapon was designed for. Trying to make a weapon do something it wasn't designed for usually results in problems. It's the same philosophy we've discussed about trying to run our AKs like an AR. It just doesn't work well.

DTakas
08-16-2009, 07:22 PM
-----