PDA

View Full Version : Move! Shoot! Live! (DVD)

Seppo Vesala
11-23-2003, 11:30 AM
Producer: Lenny Magill productions, 1997

Instructor: Lenny Magill

Run time: 80 minutes (+ commercial of other Lenny Magill films at the end; 10 minutes)

This film concentrates on moving during a shoot-out, as you could guess from the title. Magill emphasizes the importance of moving before doing anything else, when the fight begins.

Magill does not teach the correct way of doing things, rather he just tells why it is important to do thigs in a certain way, and then he shows how to do it. Maybe the viewer is supposed to catch the important nuances on his own by watching the tape? For example, he does not teach the correct way of walking, he just tells that the shooter should try to stabilize the gun during movement. You can learn the stuff by watching the film if you know what to look for, but if that is the case, you know the stuff already and you don´t need the instruction anyway.

In my opinion, Magill is not a very good teacher. He uses repetition in his instruction, but by repetiting the stuff, he does not bring anything new to the instruction, he just tells the same stuff using different words. And some things are treated with such a hurried way, that has almost comical tone. For example, Magill handles the all-important aspect of awareness in 56 seconds! There are some things Magill only mentions, and tells that he does not handle these things here, because they are covered in another training film. Maybe he assumes that he can sell more tapes that way, but as there are other instructors and other training tapes available, I can vote with my money and buy elsewhere.

In the film, there are two interesting chapters at the end. The first chapter is a Simunition exercise, where they simulate the things taught on the film. In some of the cases, Magill is ”killed”, and sometimes he does not even hit his adversary. On the other hand, it is admirable that he has the courage to show also these less than perfect examples. There is one mildly amusing thing, though: In the film, Magill teaches his own invention of briefly raising the support hand during drawing the gun to cover the head and upper torso from hostile gunfire. In my mind, this technique seems of questionable value (and perhaps even detrimental), but Magill thinks it´s important. Anyway, during Simunitions exercices he stresses that he will protect his body by raising his support arm. But in the film he does not remember to do that even once!

The final chapter is also quite interesting. In it Magill shows three surveillance camera films of actual gunfights, and analyzes the action. This was the most interesting part of the film, and it is a pity that there are only three cases presented. (I´m just wondering, if there is a tape available that would include several more of such cases, perhaps with narration. Could be interesting stuff).

The film is shot by using two camers, which seems to be unusual in films like this (the standard seems to be only one camera). The sound and picture are both clear, and the production in the original VHS tape is probably good. But the transfer to DVD format has apparently created some problems. First, the main manu is very boring, and a bit unclear (this may be partly due to differences between NTSC and PAL formats). Sencondly, the chapters of the film are made into different programs, rather than chapters. Because of that, if I want to go back to previous chapter, I have to go first to the main menu, rather than just pressing the ”previous chapter” –button on my remote controller. Third, there are several brief (unintended) slow motions and speed-ups in the film that last for a second or so, and the picture and sound are out of sync from time to time. There are some other minor flaws, as well. And the DVD disc is shipped in similar case that is used with CD singles, rather than a DVD case.

This is not a bad film, but it had more potential than this. The subject is important and interesting, but it has not been given the treatment it would deserve.

DVD extras: none (unless you count the commercials as extras)

morpheus
12-02-2003, 07:10 PM
I agree with what Seppo said about Lenny Magil's video. I have had to sit through a few of his video's that my friend's have purchased. The guy is no way near to being a firearm trainer of any sorts. If he would stop checking himself out in the mirror and stop trying to be such a pretty boy he might accomplish something. But that's what you get when you make a BS hollywood video.

Morpheus

StealthF2
12-03-2003, 11:56 AM
I will say this about Lenny Magill: He has a great thing going for himself. Content notwithstanding, the professional quality of his videos is hands-down the best in the business. Even the LOTI videos are a shot in the dark. At least with Lenny, you know it will look and sound good.

Now if he could just convince Tammy to bring her hair into the 21st Century...

VaughnT
12-10-2003, 07:35 PM
My take on Lenny? He's a character, for sure. I'm not one to bash another for their personal appearance, so I'll focus on the content of his works. I've never been impressed.

I have a copy of his "Advanced" handgun techniques with Bill Wilson and Ken Hackathorn. Watched the whole thing and didn't see a single "advanced" handgun technique.

The entire vid was more of a how-to for winning IDPA and not about defensive shooting. Point-in-case: Bill is firing a string and has to do a reload. Slide locks back as Bill goes for the spare mag. As he pushes the mag release, the mag doesn't drop. Instead of reaching up and stripping the mag out, he gives the pistol a few shakes. It took a good second or two to get the magazine to fall free of it's own volition. Tactically unsound maneuver, sir.

If I want solid education in a great format, I'm reaching for a Jim Grover tape. www.paladinpress.com I was a bit skeptical at first, having just bought that Magill tape, but I don't regret spending twice as much on Grover's work. Good practical information demonstrated by the man who is supposed to be an instructor. Magill doesn't have any qualifications to teach that I know of, unless looking pretty is a qualification.