PDA

View Full Version : New Wave Triggers

karl johnson
11-23-2003, 08:08 AM
I would be grateful to hear from those who have experience with the new triggers. By new I'm talking about things like the LDA, LEM, Springfield's USA, and anything else I might have forgotten, and how they compare to a Glock's in usability.

For years now I have been strongly leaning towards the consistent trigger pull school of thought, though I learned to shoot a DA/SA well years ago. Since there are so many options inspired, no doubt, by Glock's well earned success, and since I am no longer issued a weapon back home, I can have almost whatever I want. I am not including SA triggers here since they are well known already.

I thought we could use the standard Glock (not P/T) trigger as a starting point since most of us probably have at least a passing familiarity with them.

For those who know me, this does not mean that I am necessarily leaving my beloved P7, but I still look at pretty girls though I am very married.

KarlJ

jackinfl
11-23-2003, 12:20 PM
Karl,
The only experience I have with these new triggers is a LEM conversion kit I put on one of our Officer's guns hk usp .45 fULL SIZE. I ORDERED both the 8 lb. and the 4lb. kit. I do not have the proper trigger pull weights to verify the pounds, but I like the 8 lb. kit. The only thing I have to get used to on his gun is when you fire, the trigger rebound spring forces your finger forward. This is not my gun and I only shot it acouple of times. Also, I am just an Armorer and not a HK magician (factory guy). I have to go to the store and feel the trigger pull and rebound of a factory LEM gun.

The positive thing I see is like a glock, no need to decock before you re-holster.

If anyone else has shot a stock LEM, advise.
Jack

MTS
11-23-2003, 01:23 PM
Karl Johnson,

I take it you are asking about the trigger on the Springfield Armory XD's (Imported HS-2000's)?

I have been shooting them for a couple of years. I like the trigger. It has more of a "revolver" feel to it than the Glock. Also the grip frame fits my hand better.

michael
11-23-2003, 05:50 PM
Ditto Mark's comment on the XD. I absolutley LOVE mine!:p It has the sweetest trigger on a non-custom gun I have ever shot. Much better than any Glock, Sig, Smith or Beretta that I've shot.

karl johnson
11-26-2003, 09:50 AM
David,

Thanks for that review. I had a short stroking problem with my CZ100, which I liked every other way, and it was enough to require replacing it.

I had hoped that a P7-like trigger would be available with a bigger cartridge, but it seems not to be the case yet. The P7M10 is just too top heavy and, frankly, ugly, rare, and expensive to consider. I had great hopes for the LEM. I never understood the SFS, as it just makes it look like a DA gun, but adds much complication to a SA system.

Glock has always been a "good enough" sort of trigger, but nothing to be excited about, but that may be the best for me right now. I'll try your spring arrangment when I get home.

KarlJ

MTS
11-26-2003, 11:17 AM
Karl,

I use a similar set up on my Glock's as David except I use a 8# NY Trigger with a 3.5# connecter.

After that polish everything with a Dremel and the pull is much nicer.

JodyH
11-26-2003, 01:37 PM
I had a terrible time with short stroking a Walther P99QA trigger.
Compared to my std. P99, the reset is way too long, and the trigger return spring isn't firm enough to give you any feedback as to where the reset will end.

sponge
11-27-2003, 04:12 AM
I have wondered how the Light DA works. Does it have two parts to the hammer, the first part being under full spring tension And then connecting to the hammer proper after trigger pressure brings the hammer fully back?. How does the hammer get a full power strike on the primer with such a light trigger pull? And in either case I still think I would like to have a SA with a spring loaded thumb safety such as the sig 245 but with the decocker ripped out and replaced with an ambidextrous spring loaded thumb safety that also locks the slide. With the right design there would be safety+the better trigger pull of SA AND a compact single stack frame.

InTheBlack
11-27-2003, 07:12 PM
I read a blurb about the HK LEM trigger over the summer, but it was somewhat confusing. HKs website is still nothing more than a dealer directory.

I take it the LEM would turn a SA/DA into a modified DA only?

The blurb said the 8# unit had an initial 3.5# pressure over 7/16" and a second 8.5# pressure over 5/16" more to break. What about the 4# unit?

Is there an easy-to-feel "set point" like on a traditional 2-stage rifle trigger, or is the transition mushy or smoothly continuous?

Are the still being sold only to LEO?

Reading about the P7 trigger created a thought. I sometimes suffer from the fault of relaxing my body/grip when the trigger breaks. This causes shots to go down & inboard. The P7 might train people not to do that, because of the 4.5 lb (???) pressure required on the squeeze cocker.

Remember the metal cricket "clickers" they used to make? Used by the Airborne when they dropped on D-1 into Normandy for identification in the dark?

It would be interesting to make up something that could be mounted on the front strap that would "click" when pressure was applied / released.

jackinfl
11-28-2003, 03:07 PM
In reference to my earlier post and my experience with the HK LEM trigger: Has anyone else had the same feeling? Where the rigger rebound spring throws or forces your finger forward after firing?

David Difabio: you are lucky you are not closer, I would be at your shop everyday picking your brain. I 've read your posts and your website. Thank you for sharing your experience with us/ me since I am speaking for myself.