PDA

View Full Version : First NFA purchase

Solothurn
08-03-2009, 11:46 AM
I'd been researching silencers for a while. I wanted one for a 9mm pistol and one for .22 rifle/pistol. I'd narrowed it down to a couple of models in each catagory.

Me and a bud meet with a Class 3 dealer close to Decatur, AL on Saturday. We drove an hour and a half to this guy cause he seemed top notch over the phone. All the local dealers acted like they didn't have time for you and most didn't have anything but the cheapest stuff in stock.

This guy brought out several silencers for us to try on a G19 and Walther P22. He answered a bunch of questions that we had and he had very good prices.

My bud bought an SWR Trident. I decided on a Trident and a Silencerco 22Sparrow. Now just waitin on the paperwork to be approved and working up some good subsonic 9mm loads :)

DragonFire
08-03-2009, 01:16 PM
I wish all dealers would do that. Most of us are stuck with poor quality youtube clips and second hand opinions regarding a suppressor's actual performance.

HKalltheway
08-09-2009, 05:58 PM
Hey Solo did you happen to hear the sparrow against a AAC Element or SWR spectre, these are my three choices but can't find anyone with all three to do a side by side comparison.

Solothurn
08-10-2009, 03:39 PM
I shot the Spectre at the same time as the Sparrow and couldn't tell a difference in the noise. I chose the Sparrow because it's quite a bit lighter and easier to disassemble.

I haven't demo'd an Element. It's rated to be several decibels quieter than the Spectre or Sparrow.

joekahr
08-13-2009, 09:24 PM
Good luck with your wait. I sent my paperwork in on Feb 27 check was cashed on april 7th app went pending on june 3rd, still waiting as of today @ 11:35 am

joekahr
09-17-2009, 09:14 PM
picked up my can Wed. the 16th of this month, had to wait because the place i used for the transfer said i didnt need to send a copy of the trust with the form 4... think i got set aside for a while until my examiner got back to my file and let me know i needed more info for them, faxed a copy of the trust on a thursday and was approved on monday, took 2 weeks to get the form back from the NFA.