PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun for house

Young9mmGunner
01-05-2005, 09:46 AM
Thinking about buying a Remington 11-87 Semi-auto shotgun to keep in the house. My question is how reliable are they and what load should I think about using? The price is $365 good price or bad price(Brand new in box).

MTS
01-05-2005, 04:49 PM
I had one for a while and finally sold it and went back to my 870.

I only shot reduced recoil slugs in it and it was always a little "twitchy". Sometimes it would run great, other times it would not. I tried different brands and that did not seem to matter.

My $0.02, YMMV.

combat effective
01-05-2005, 04:55 PM
The 11-87 is a good gun, just don't shoot the reduced recoil stuff in a semiauto. There is no need to do so.

Which version of the 11-87 is it at that price?

combat effective
01-05-2005, 05:03 PM
I should clarify,

The reduced recoil loads don't funtion properly in most autoloaders. At least that is my experience. Others here may say different. At out state faciliy they do not issue reduced recoil to officers shooting autoloaders.

Plus, autoloaders aresuch soft shooters anyway. I just got an 1100, and it is extremely comfortable to shoot with regular loads.

Disciple
01-05-2005, 05:13 PM
I have seen and heard of people using an autoloader for breaking clays. Skeet, Sporting Clays, exhibition shooting, what have you. As far as I know at least some were using target loads. Is there a way to tune an autoloading SG for this?

Paco
01-05-2005, 06:29 PM
My 11-87 is very reliable but as Ammolab noted, it's one heavy pig. Mine is generally locked up in a safe and not used for HD much though.

Dr. Snubnose
01-05-2005, 09:28 PM
Used to have one....too heavy...I also went to the Remington 870 Marine Model with a pistol grip

Fireblade Systems
01-07-2005, 04:02 PM
The 870 is tuff to beat I have built a good number of them for home defense. They function well with everything from the light loads to magnums. There also easy to custom tailor to your needs. Heres a few pics.
http://www.firebladesystems.com/images/21.jpg
http://www.firebladesystems.com/images/22.jpg
http://www.firebladesystems.com/images/23.jpg
http://www.firebladesystems.com/images/20.jpg

DaveJames
01-07-2005, 07:07 PM
Randy, nice rigs, where you been? Working on the 45's?

Gabriel Suarez
01-07-2005, 07:14 PM
On Shotguns -

Operationally I've used Benellis and 870s. Thre is a whole lot you can do with an 870. I have an 11-87 as well and confess that I shoot the 11-87 more these days. Surprisingly I find the weights of my 870 and my 11-87 to be about the same....maybe its just me.

Anyway, keep the guns simple. Avoid unnecessary additions. Also keep in mind what youe mission is. If moving from room to room and grabbing up family members is part of the plan, forget the shotgun and stay with either a pistol or a light carbine.

Delineate a mission, develop a tactical plan and only then, get the tools to accomplish the plan.

davidz71
01-07-2005, 07:29 PM
I second those who recommend the 870 pump. Our department has used them for over 35 years. Our training academy uses them and I figure they put 10,000 rounds of #4 Buckshot through each one every year. As a Remington Armorer, the only repairs I have had to do to them was re-stake the magazine latch bars every once in awhile and replace a forearm tube assembly because some of our people have a tendency to torque the forearm around when they shoot. The silver solder breaks at the rear of the tube further putting the action bars in a bind until someone eventually breaks one of the 2 bars or the thing binds up. This is severe abuse that no homeowner will ever impart on an 870 so you shouldn't worry about it.

Fireblade Systems
01-08-2005, 09:23 AM
Randy, nice rigs, where you been? Working on the 45's?

Sure enough been pretty busy lately with the .45s and doing the family thing over the holidays. Had some work done to my website to make it more user friendly and that eats up some time going back and forth with the web guy. But taking this weekend off to watch the NFL playoffs and and catch up on several of the forums.

Young9mmGunner
01-09-2005, 01:09 PM
Hey everyone thnks for the input. Hey Gabe thnks for the advice and Fireblade thnks for the pics. I really appreciate all this info.