PDA

View Full Version : Spear

Modern Technique
01-02-2005, 01:19 PM
I would liek do get a description of the Spear taught by Tony Blauer. Anyone here trained in it? How does it differ from other "flinches"?

MT

RES
01-02-2005, 02:23 PM
How does it differ from other "flinches"?

The difference is, most other "flinch" programs (SCARS, for example), emphasize the physical aspect of "psycho-physiological responses", where Blauer empasizes the mental aspects of same.

The real benefit of Blauer's programs, is in stress/fear management skills that he teaches. They're a great asset for the inexperienced combatant, and even some experienced persons as well.

However, Blauer's hand-to-hand combat system is predicated on the belief that the attacker will not have the same ability to manage fear that the defender will. It goes without saying, that the terms "psychopath" and "sociopath" exist for a reason.

As a supplement to existing training, or as a beginning step for further training in the future, I highly recommend the program for the personal, psychological benefits and excellent physical conditioning, both of which are areas that Blauer excels at teaching.

As I routinely maintain, a well-conditioned, physically and mentally fit fighter can make just about any technique work. However, a very technically-skilled fighter with little physical or mental stamina, is essentially doomed to failure.

RES
01-02-2005, 02:24 PM
Ask Coops when he is in Memphis.

This sounds like a long story... :D

Coops
01-03-2005, 04:43 AM
This sounds like a long story... :D

Not with my memory. I can't retain long stories :D

To answer MT's first question, a flinch is a flinch. What Tony B teaches is a gross motor tactic which is tacked onto the flinch. I know there are many people out there teaching a similar tactic, but Tony has done his homework (and a great deal of research) into the psychological aspects of fonfrontation.

A chat whilst in Memphis is a good idea. You might have to remind me what about though :p

PETE THE FEET
01-05-2005, 10:33 PM
I Like It A Lot, It Is A Skill That Is Deserving Of Very Close Examination

Decado
01-06-2005, 09:10 AM
I have a friend and fellow officer who is looking into the SPEAR system. He and I are going to start training together very shortly. He has relatively little DT training and I have very little knowledge of the SPEAR system myself. Any input on the system, pro or con, would be greatly appreciated.

Decado