PDA

View Full Version : What fixed blade knife for conceal carry and $100 and under?

Hicap
01-01-2005, 09:58 PM
What is the best concealible fixed blade you can get for $100?

MTS
01-02-2005, 07:26 AM
Cold War Scout,

I think he was looking for a fixed blade.

Hicap,

I would say to look at the Cold Steel and Spyderco web sites and see what looks the best to you.

Then contact LRS <onesoursetactical@hotmail.com> and see what kind of deal he can get you.

Hicap
01-02-2005, 08:23 AM
Thanks Mark,I will do.

Marc "Crafty Dog" Denny
01-02-2005, 10:48 AM
CRKT's "Powlkowski Kaspar" (now there's a catchy name!) has my idea of a SUPERB handle and the blade seems to be more than up to the task ;-) and is VERY reasonably priced.

It comes with two sheaths-- one for neck carry and one for vertical or horizontal belt carry. The latter does present quick draw problems and you may need to go for a custom sheath.

Marc "Crafty Dog" Denny
01-02-2005, 12:34 PM
Woof Speedy:

Lacking the funds to pursue matters as much as I would like ;-) to minimize angst I minimize perusing knive catalogs , , , If ever I strike it rich I will buy many, many knives. In other words, I don't know of the folder to which you refer.

I bought the PK in preparation for taking my family (wife, 5 year old boy, 2 year old girl) to off-the-track Peru to visit my mother who lives there doing good deeds. This knife resonates for me.

Concerning the DVDs, we did the foto shoot for the cover shots the week before Christmas, the add copy is written, and I estimate in the next two weeks (i.e. just in time for the January doldrums , , , business acumen? what business acumen?) the next three should be shipping.

Krabi Krabong
Attacking Blocks
Combining Stick & Footwork

"The Grandfathers Speak" should be ready a week or two after that, then we begin on the first series.

10-4 on that "Never Again"

woof,
Crafty/Marc

blastjv
01-02-2005, 01:46 PM
Depending on the laws in your area regarding 'daggers', the Camillus Large Boot Knife, @ +/- $25 is damn hard to beat.

-John

michael
01-02-2005, 03:11 PM
You bet,

Well, I don't want to add to your temptation, but here is the folder that I mentioned. It should look very familiar indeed. Less than $40 at the online retailers-

http://www.crkt.com/crawkasp.html

I have the fixed blade PK and purchased two of the folders for my kids. I like the fixed blade a lot, but am rather disappointed in the quality of the folders. They both quickly get very lose and need to be re-tightened, they do not hold an edge very well (but they do resharpen ease--cheap steel), and the liner locks are very thin, though it is backed up by the LAWKS safety (I believe that's the name of it). In hindsight, slightly more money would have been better spent on a Spyderco Delica or small Cold Steel Voyager for them. YMMV.

michael
01-02-2005, 08:59 PM
Speedy,

I'm actually thinking of making both of theirs drones and buying them something better. I do love the grip design on the folders, and the strength of the handle. It makes an excellent impact weapon--it's just a shame the knife is not as good. I know McCann really likes the folders, but he may have some kind of "arrangement" with them. I believe he and Bob Kasper are buds.

Jan Itor
01-05-2005, 10:12 PM
I got a Cold Steel Culloden for Christmas. I like the knife but the sheath is tight. Hopefully it will loosen alittle with use.

Shady
01-11-2005, 01:07 PM
Just went through looking for one myself. Texas law is funny about knives... has to be under 5.5" and can't be double edged, no Bowies, and not wanting to spend a big pile on a fixed blade for this purpose I selected the Benchmade Rant, drop point - about 4.5" blade in a nice strong configuration.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/barondorff/rant.jpg

Sheath is cordura/leather... not sure I much care for it, but will continue to test drive it until I get a kydex rig. On the positive side, the sheath is sticky enough to allow it to be tucked into the waistband and not move around.

For EDC I still prefer my Voyager.

jacketch
01-23-2005, 11:28 AM
I too picked the BM Rant drop point tactical. So far I am pleased with the knife which has a blade of N690 which is similar to 440c. The sheath for mine is cordura with a kydex insert. It works fine but I may get something else for it if I run across a better sheath.

Pogo the Clown
02-09-2005, 07:23 AM
Gerber Yari,Gryphon M-10, CS Kobun.

mercop
02-09-2005, 10:38 PM
How about the Camillus CQB 1 for $30 from www.sportsmansguide.com in th 4" or 6"? Sweet blade.

Jim Linch
02-10-2005, 04:45 AM
My choice (what I carry) is a Pikal moded Spyderco Ronin.

http://www.oregonconcealedcarry.com/index.php?showtopic=923&view=getnewpost

Steve Collins
02-10-2005, 06:05 PM
I like my Cold Steel Culloden, I haven't had a problem with the sheath like others have.

Jim Linch
02-11-2005, 04:51 PM
Two votes for the Ronin (nice mod Jim, how'd you do it).
First I built a jig to hold it in the vise with 4" channel and some 5/16th bolts welded through it to go between the handle holes, then cut some hi-Molly plates to keep from messing the slabs up when I tightened the clamp down.

Started with a 4flute 3/4" end mill, but it couldn't touch it, VG10 is hard stuff. :)

Went to a grinding stone 3/4" in the Bridgeport, but could not get past 375rpm and broke two stone shafts because I couldn't "feel" the side tension. By then I have a 1/2" divot though so I finished it by hand with an air drill and grinding stone.

Came out nice in the end, but I definitely learned some stuff. :)

pete f
02-15-2005, 12:03 PM
gerber MK1's on ebay about 50 bucks or so.

proven tough and they last

also a russell sting all steel might be able to find one for a bit more if it is not a NIB or 99% collectable

repete34
02-20-2005, 05:45 PM
Boker "Bud Neeley"

Dr. Snubnose
02-20-2005, 07:37 PM
Gerber has a lot of fixed blade knives for under $100 most can be had for under $50. I bought a 4", thick fixed blade Gerber at Walmart for $24. BTW it's a superb knife. Hard to pass up at that price. CRKT has a knife designed by Greg Hawk, called K-AT with a convertable urethane sheath for neck or waist carry and built in Lanyard... pretty nice for $38, though small it fits nice in the hand and is designed very well.

safestop
02-21-2005, 09:22 AM
Boker "Bud Neeley"

Got to second the Boker "Bud Neeley" comes with a sheath and attachments to carry 9 ways.
Great as a neck knife
Just my 2 cents
Regards,
Fuzzy