PDA

View Full Version : Mini-30 mags

dave-mo
11-19-2003, 10:47 AM
Anyone know where to get good high capacity (30 round) Mini-30 magazines? Dave

Vig Creed
11-19-2003, 11:03 AM
I can't remember for sure which (if any) Mini-30 mags worked 100% for me. But the Mini-14 mags I personally found to be 100% reliable are Ruger factory 30rd mags and the newest ProMag 10rd models.

By the way, 10rd mags are surprisingly handy, and noticibly aid the handling qualities of the Mini.

creed

Matt
11-19-2003, 11:40 AM
Several years ago when I had mine I tried every kind of mag I could find, and none worked 100%. I'd find one here and there that worked well, but I could never figure out what made it different than the others and replicate it. My only suggestion is to buy some with a waranty (sp?) and keep returning/exchanging them until you find a few that work.

I played that game with USA some and finally got two or three than worked, and a free t-shirt to boot, but it really was more frustrating than it was worth. IIRC the "Triple K" mags NEVER worked right - it was the USA mags that had the "blind squirrel" luck from time to time, but as I said it's been awhile......

dave-mo
11-19-2003, 02:12 PM
After surfing a while I found 30 round mags made by Mega-mag at gunaccessories.com... anyone familiar with either one? Dave

InTheBlack
11-21-2003, 11:01 PM
PMI and John Mason mags are said to be the best and CDNN Investments had some PMI in the last flier. Might be gone, but they get them from time to time.

I read that the problem is variances in the critical dimension of the magazine latch:

http://www.perfectunion.com/forums/attachment.php?postid=7160

Magazine advice & much more on the Minis--
Cruise the Mini-14/30 forum at:

http://www.perfectunion.com/forums/index.php?showforum=54

Did Ruger actually make 30 round mags for the Mini-30? Must have been LEO mags ?

billcameron
11-29-2003, 06:27 PM
There are a lot of SAR 1/AK style rifles around for $300-$350. They are probably tougher and more reliable gun than mini 30 and magazines are all over the place for $10 or so.