PDA

View Full Version : Beretta VS. HK

jackinfl
11-18-2003, 03:19 PM
I currently carry a 9mm HK USP, I am considering a Beretta Elite 2. Has anyone had any exposure to either or both and can offer constructive points of view.

My PD mandates double/single action, and no Glocks. I like 9mm, that is my choice.
Thanks in advance.
jack

John Silver
11-18-2003, 06:22 PM
Welcome to the board, hope you find some good info here.

I've not used a Beretta Elite, but one of my guilty pleasures is my Beretta 92FS. It's an excellant gun, has fed everything, been very accurate, and has a decent (for a pistol) DA pull. Check out www.langdontactical.com as that guy is the first and last name in Berettas.

However, when you look at most departments, the military, and even Langdon, it strikes me that the Beretta has an awfully short service life. And, that's not just slide and frame, but lots of different little springs in there, too.

While I'm sure it's happened, I've never heard of anyone wearing out a USP. HK has one of the finest reps in the industry. They are accurate, highly reliable, and seem to have mastered the durability issue.

Unless you have very compelling reasons to abandon the USP, stick with it. You will have to rebuild all of the familiarity you have with it if you switch to another design.

Since someone else will mention it, I might as well: have you considered a Sig? They make about the finest DA/SA pistols out there, at least that's my opinion.

sponge
11-18-2003, 08:26 PM
I don't know if I understand the question, Why do you want to switch from the HK? Just what do you want improved? or what is less satisfactory with HK?

DBK
11-21-2003, 05:57 PM
I have had both guns, in 40s&w cal. For what its worth , I sold the Beretta. Holsters were hard to find and I think the H&K is a better gun.

jackinfl
11-22-2003, 02:02 PM
Thanks for all the input, and I have already read some real good information here.
As far as what I was looking for in the Beretta from the USP was that the Beretta might have had some better accuracy potential due to the heavier slide and such....

I was in a shooting in March at work and the 9mm USP worked really well, I am alive and able to write this, so it worked....

Actually since I started this thread I have shot another guys Elite 2 and I shoot just as good with mu gun. And the cost of holsters Duty, plainclothes and Tactical cost so much that it is prohibitive to buy a new gun, just because...

As far as H&K is concerned the only problem I have seen is the slide catch and hammer rust, I guess these parts do not get the same "HE" coating as the frame. The only other problem was one of our Marine officers came to me and I had to replace his mag release spring it rusted shut. Lack of maintenance.

Thanks for all the info, I'm hooked.
Jack

mballai
11-28-2003, 07:29 PM
FWIW, the Elite II is a great gun--mine is real accurate. I'd swap out the plain black front sight if I used it for duty.

If you are having rust issues, you might consider using either Eezox or a Sentry Tuf cloth to treat the parts. I find it somewhat inconsistent that HK would make a highly rust resistant gun frame but leave the working parts vulnerable.

Alexii
11-28-2003, 07:55 PM
I felt compelled to respond to this thread because I sold an HK USP in favor of the Beretta Brigadier.

First, I believe you when you said the USP isn't as corrosion resistant as one might expect. Mine developed rust on the top of the barrel, the slide stop, and the rear dovetail slot. And this is because of condensation when I place it on top of the commode when I shower every morning.

Second, I really don't care about its DA shot. Looking back I should've just carried it cocked and locked when I owned it. It takes extra effort to do some fine shooting with the USP compared to the DA pull of Beretta, which can even be improved by replacing its mainspring with that of the DAO Beretta-- bringing down the DA trigger pull from 12lbs. to just around 8lbs.

Those said, I still think the USP is an excellent firearm. Durable, accurate, and reliable.

Anthony
11-30-2003, 08:04 AM
Jackinfl,
I think you may have answered your own question.
The H&K saved your butt ! - Why fix it if it aint broke !
Plus there is the cost etc.
I think the Marine officers problem was an operator, and not pistol problem. Anyone who works with firearms in a salty enviroment HAS to pay much more attention to things like cleaning, checking for those first signs of rust etc.
Whilst H&K guns may not be the best looking for some, ALL those I have shot, - pistols, sub-guns & rifles were of first rate quality, and more importantly, completely reliable.
I would stick with your H&K.
Regards,
Anthony.