PDA

View Full Version : Just got M26 Taser!

Ragin Cajun
11-18-2003, 08:13 AM
I just purchased the major item for use as a State Constable - an M-26 Taser. This weekend I will be taking control stick, batton, and other training. In Jan. I will have the Taser training.

Those of you with a Taser, what are your experiences, opinions, etc.?

Thanks

The fight will not be the way you want it to be.
The fight will be the way it is.
You must to be flexible enough to adapt.

Failure Drill
11-18-2003, 10:17 AM
I just purchased the major item for use as a State Constable - an M-26 Taser. This weekend I will be taking control stick, batton, and other training. In Jan. I will have the Taser training.

Those of you with a Taser, what are your experiences, opinions, etc.?

Thanks

The fight will not be the way you want it to be.
The fight will be the way it is.
You must to be flexible enough to adapt.
As part of our training we had the barbs taped to us and we had to take the 5 second ride. That is the most pain I have ever experienced in my life. Im happy I did it but I'm happier I never have to do it again! As far as real world application goes I'm not real impressed so far. If you manage to get both barbs in a suspect, and they are spaced out pretty well, he will drop like a sack of s#$%. However, one barb, or barbs close together and the shock isnt near as effective. The effective range of 21 feet is a stretch. I would say you have to be within 12 feet or so to be successful.

k9dpd
11-21-2003, 02:29 PM
same input, great response from me when they were taped, but street results are less impressive unless used as a direct contact weapon, ie already have the suspect on the ground and he wont give you his arm under him, hit hit without the cart. and he will comply.

jnc36rcpd
11-21-2003, 08:30 PM
Ragin, if you contact TASER International (www.taser.com) and provide your LEO credentials, I imagine they'll send you their latest training disc. There is also a taser forum at www.policeone.com.

I was "volunteered" to become a taser instructor by one of my colleagues in our in-service training cadre. I was not especially an advocate of the taser, feeling it largely replicated our OC spray.

Holey-moley! In our small suburban agency, we brought injuries to officers down 22% the first year we had the taser. Orange County (FL) Sheriff's Office went to full deployment of the taser and dropped injuries by 80% or so.

The taser does fail from time to time. You can miss. If you do, those probes will come zinging right back at you. The battery can run low. Nonetheless, the taser is a great tool.

Good luck, be safe, and always remember---electricity is our friend. ;)

Ragin Cajun
11-24-2003, 12:14 PM
OUCH!!!!!!! What an understatement!!

I was Tased past Sat. in training. (Not Taser training.)

Words don't describe the pain and incapacitaion!

The formal Taser training will be in Jan.

I can see why officer injury drops!

M700
11-25-2003, 08:39 AM
I think they're great! We've dropped bad guys with them with both the darts and with contact zaps.

Regarding the contact zap - there is a natural tendency for the body to recoil away from the Taser, and this breaks the contact. The officer has to be prepared to keep pressing the contact points firmly against his target even when it jerks away.

We had some mediocre results with contact zaps in the abdominal region, but lightning fast drops when the taser is applied to the back of the neck.

I was physically stopping an assault suspect, fireplug-built type fellow, who kept advancing on me in an effort to escape. My partner came up behind him, warned him once, then dropped him like a ton of bricks at my feet. He'd positioned the taser against the back of the guys neck and told him to stop. He stopped when that Taser crackled and he fell.

The barbs are excellent - but 21' is pushing it. 10 - 15 feet seems to work better, and that's fine. Also, be aware of BG's pulling out the barbs after the initial zap. You have a few seconds to get in there and get the handcuffs on.

These things are great! I have to admit that I rather enjoy mixing it up physically from time to time (my chief isn't reading this is he?) - but these Tasers make it all much cleaner and neater. Regards, Guy