PDA

View Full Version : The beauty of the Uzi...

John Chambers
03-10-2009, 08:15 PM
it is SO simple!! I was cleaning my Norinco Uzi, loading mags that I had emptied, etc. I put it back together and was getting ready to put it away when my 2 kiddoes wandered by (11 and 9 years old). They sat down and were mildly interested in what was going on and then I sprung it on them. I cleared it, set it down between them and told them to take it apart. They have not had any instruction on this task, and they had the thing fully field stripped, etc in about 2 minutes. They got it back together too!

There is a simple beauty in such an efficient design! I asked them if they wanted to shoot it next time we go out, and my son was all over it! He will burn powder like there is no tomorrow. My little girl? She will try it, but said that it was "a little heavy, the AK is lighter."

Daddy was so proud!:D

HiWayMan
03-11-2009, 12:25 PM
That's the good stuff!

I love military weapons for their easy of disassembly. AK, Uzi, FAL are all super easy. AR, M1 not so much. Seems Americans like to complicate this procedure. Europe and the rest of the world seem to have a better grasp on this.

Coolhand77
03-11-2009, 02:00 PM
Not to get too off topic (I've never field stripped an Uzi, so I can't quite compare) but how is an AR that much more complicated to strip? Maybe stripping the bolt carrier/bolt group (I gotta agree...losing those pins is a bitch), but usually you don't do that for a quick field strip clean as far as I know.

Gabriel Suarez
03-11-2009, 03:36 PM
Seems Americans like to complicate this procedure. Europe and the rest of the world seem to have a better grasp on this.

While we were building the M14 and AR10, the rest of the world was working on the FAL and the AK-47. I agree with you. US weapon development reached a peak during WW2 and with few exceptions has been going down since.

Gabriel Suarez
03-11-2009, 03:40 PM
Not to get too off topic (I've never field stripped an Uzi, so I can't quite compare) but how is an AR that much more complicated to strip? Maybe stripping the bolt carrier/bolt group (I gotta agree...losing those pins is a bitch), but usually you don't do that for a quick field strip clean as far as I know.

The UZI is stripped down into a few big parts. There is nothing small or loss prone there. Same can be said for the AK for that matter. But not the AR/M4. If we exclude the bolt system, then the AK and UZI are even more simple and fool-proof.

Please don't think that I hate the M16 because I don't fawn all over my self at the sight of a tricked out M4. Like it or hate it, the M4/M16 is a much more complicated weapon system that either the AK or the UZI.

Is the M16 a P.O.S.? No one said that. But it is far more complex, complicated, and dependant on maintenance than the others.

ScottT
03-11-2009, 03:55 PM
Ever field strip a Sten? Talk about simple. I owned a couple of Stens for years and I still admire the rugged simplicity of that weapon.

Eric
03-11-2009, 04:48 PM
The UZI is stripped down into a few big parts. There is nothing small or loss prone there. Same can be said for the AK for that matter. But not the AR/M4. If we exclude the bolt system, then the AK and UZI are even more simple and fool-proof.

Please don't think that I hate the M16 because I don't fawn all over my self at the sight of a tricked out M4. Like it or hate it, the M4/M16 is a much more complicated weapon system that either the AK or the UZI.

Is the M16 a P.O.S.? No one said that. But it is far more complex, complicated, and dependant on maintenance than the others.

Never tried to field strip an UZI or AK, but I can still field strip an M16 in my sleep & haven't touched on in 20 yrs. The cotter holding the firing pin does kind of suck, but other than that its really easy & can be done while walking.

M14 & Mini are also drop dead easy. Mini comes apart into 4 pieces: trigger, bolt, barrel/reciever, and stock. Just flip up the trigger guard & it comes right apart in your hand. Can't really do that one while walking, but it can work if required.

Coolhand77
03-11-2009, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the viewpoint. I would tend to agree in the cases you mentioned.

Oh, and I can't STAND tricked out M4s...too much crap. I guess thats why the most complicated gadgets on my ARs are flashlights (small and ziptied) and night sights.